Dustin Tokarski (Recalled)

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I think Tokarski is the most underappreciated player on this team. Obviously he could do a bit better but he's doing just fine being the backup of the greatest goalie in this league.

twochromic

Oct 30, 2008
You guys are off the post whining about Tokarski. I'll grant you that he might be a year or two away, but he is a superb goalie, and has experience on winning teams and in pressure series. My junior team (Carey's by the way) played against him a lot and he murdered us.

You've conveniently forgotten all the nattering that went on this board during Price's early years: "Not ready; Can't seem to wipe his own butt, let alone the crease; Belongs in the minors; Shoulda kept Halak"...on and on it went.

Now you've got another guy with great upside potential who has virtually no playing time to his credit. And you're wondering why he has been inconsistent!

I can't argue with those that think he needs more time in the minors, perhaps it is true -- to build him some experience. But trade him at your risk: eventually Tic will be in an NHL goalcrease.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You guys are off the post whining about Tokarski. I'll grant you that he might be a year or two away, but he is a superb goalie, and has experience on winning teams and in pressure series. My junior team (Carey's by the way) played against him a lot and he murdered us.

You've conveniently forgotten all the nattering that went on this board during Price's early years: "Not ready; Can't seem to wipe his own butt, let alone the crease; Belongs in the minors; Shoulda kept Halak"...on and on it went.

Now you've got another guy with great upside potential who has virtually no playing time to his credit. And you're wondering why he has been inconsistent!

I can't argue with those that think he needs more time in the minors, perhaps it is true -- to build him some experience. But trade him at your risk: eventually Tic will be in an NHL goalcrease.

He's had his ups and downs this year, I have to wonder if he's just not used to playing so little. I also don't know what his NHL future is, if Condon can steal the job from him next year or not since he would need to clear waivers and Condon doesn't. But I became a big fan last year with his play in Hamilton on a bad team, he was easily their MVP and one of the best goalies in the league last season.

I'm ok with having him as the backup until Condon steals the job, since he's cheap depth and we need some cheap contracts next year.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I think Tokarski is the most underappreciated player on this team. Obviously he could do a bit better but he's doing just fine being the backup of the greatest goalie in this league.
thanks i needed a laugh

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

But the Habs aren't grooming Tokarski to be the future goaltender. He's just there to give the actual goaltender a break. If he can't play consistently in his ~15 games that he's called upon (he's certainly a liability in one area - the shootout), then what's the point of keeping him? Get a veteran that can come in and just provide the same type of goaltending in the limited amount of time. The team should care more about wins than developing a goalie that probably won't ever be a starter due to his size.

HabsDieHard*

But the Habs aren't grooming Tokarski to be the future goaltender. He's just there to give the actual goaltender a break. If he can't play consistently in his ~15 games that he's called upon (he's certainly a liability in one area - the shootout), then what's the point of keeping him? Get a veteran that can come in and just provide the same type of goaltending in the limited amount of time. The team should care more about wins than developing a goalie that probably won't ever be a starter due to his size.

With the way Price plays, the premium on cap space, and Tokarskis' lovely cap hit for next year I see no reason to get a veteran goalie.

Half the "veteran goalies" end up playing terribly anyways.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
It's becoming more and more clear to me that Tokarski's probable ceiling is a bottom tier starter. He'll be the starter for a lottery team for a couple years, and eventually bounce between the AHL and backup positions, a la Budaj.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a .910 SV% and a -2.5 GSAA from your backup goalie. Tokarski was perfectly fine in the role this season, and I expect he'll be perfectly fine next season.

Maybe if we didn't play such an asinine, get-outshot-and-hope-your-goalie-saves-you, "system" every g.d. night, Tokarski's stats would look better.

HabsDieHard*

Yeah, he makes 575K and was perfectly fine last year I'd agree with that.

Hopefully Condon takes his job for 2016/2017, will once again have a very cheap back up.

Not sure I see the logic in using an older veteran as the back up for PRice. Especailly since the team seems to have a really good goaltending coach.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a .910 SV% and a -2.5 GSAA from your backup goalie. Tokarski was perfectly fine in the role this season, and I expect he'll be perfectly fine next season.

Maybe if we didn't play such an asinine, get-outshot-and-hope-your-goalie-saves-you, "system" every g.d. night, Tokarski's stats would look better.

I think Tokarski's stats dropped off significantly in the second half of the season. I don't really care for him, as long as he doesn't hurt us.

HabsDieHard*

I think it's also worth mentioning that in several of the "easy" games Tokarski got, this team did an absolute no show.

I have never in my entire life of watching hockey seen a team have as many horrible 30-40 minute stretches to "start" games as regularly as this team did this season.

All credit to them---They had a lot of points this year. But there were countless efforts by this team that never would have even had a chance to do had Price not been out of this world.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I'm far from confident with Tokarski, he started the season fine but look worse and worse as it went on, he looked shaky as hell and played smaller in net than he already is. If Condon has a better camp I'd go with him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope Condon outplays Tokarski at camp and takes his spot.

With Condon being on a two way and Tok on a one way, he would likely need to really show something at camp. Not saying it can't happen, and I wouldn't lose sleep with putting Tok on waivers, just not sure I see it happening until we see how Condon does in NHL action. Both were easily among the best players in Hamilton each year, although it looked like Condon struggled later in the season.

I'm far from confident with Tokarski, he started the season fine but look worse and worse as it went on, he looked shaky as hell and played smaller in net than he already is. If Condon has a better camp I'd go with him.

Tok seemed to struggle more the less he played, but agreed he looked shaky at times and it's a concern going forward. I got to think it's only a matter of time before Condon is the backup, just not sure when his time will come. Another year in the AHL might be good for him, perhaps get him some games here and there if possible.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Many people are saying that MT is so bad, that without Price, habs would not be a PO team. Then, they are loosing their mind over Tokarski, a 2nd goalie, who just had a ,500 season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I thought Tok may take a step up this past season. Chance to work with Waite on daily bases. Crawford played 5 years in minors, Waite turned him into star, thought chance Tok may move up. He was similar to Crawford 5 years in minors. Small sample size but disappointed a little.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

:( Even Ginette snubbed him

tumblr_nmz6slbyb61tbibmto1_500.png

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Probably get one of the games this weekend if Therrien is smart. Price is probably out a bit, no need to tire Condon out again.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
Tok is back, wonder if he gets in a game.

He has a very good chance Saturday..

Although im surprised that they didnt have him start in Jersey..But still there is a good chance he plays the second game on the double header..

Maybe there hoping Condon has a easy game Friday and can play both games..

We know MT wont tell us till he has to.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has a very good chance Saturday..

Although im surprised that they didnt have him start in Jersey..But still there is a good chance he plays the second game on the double header..

Maybe there hoping Condon has a easy game Friday and can play both games..

We know MT wont tell us till he has to.

I would wait and see how he plays, if he's really good then play him both games as Tok hasn't started a game in almost a month and he's been inconsistent this year.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
I would wait and see how he plays, if he's really good then play him both games as Tok hasn't started a game in almost a month and he's been inconsistent this year.

I think that is MT's plan..to wait and see how condon does in Jersey and if he gets worked hard or not..If he sees a lot of rubber there is no point in playing him in Montreal next day..

The opponent is still just a middle of the pack team, a good test for Tokarski to get his mojo going..Tok is a pro, he knows he is needed like against the rangers in the playoffs.. He will bring his A game..He is a winner and i believe Tok will get his mojo back and regain his upward momentum and earn a roll somewhere next year..

maybe all he needs is a challenge? after crashing down to earh when he lost his back up role at training camp.. No start in nearly a month must have him chomping at the bit.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Tokarski is an AHLer. Nothing more. He's Racicot. If the guys sees more than one guy it will just mean that the rookie falters. And Montreal will be in deep doodoo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad