Dustin Penner

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You'll all be sorry you're saying this. Penner's a beast. And there's a reason he doesn't score during the regular season and its not because he's "lazy".

Penner is a one dimensional scorer who scored 14 points in 33 games last year. During his "beast mode" in the playoffs, he elevated his game to Dwight King numbers (Penner had 3g, 2a and King had 2g, 3a). Except Penner actually averaged 1:19 of powerplay time per game, while King had only 10 seconds per game.

Oh, and King makes about $2 million less than Penner.

I'm not going to pretend to know why Penner's offense suffered, but when you have one job, and you do it poorly, you don't deserve a third chance. Even IF you're right that he needs to be on a line with chemistry, he has struggled on every single line... so clearly he's not a fit on here anyway.

I like him, but I don't like the Kings keeping him as a player. Especially for his supposed price.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
There's chemistry problems on the 2nd line. Penner is a player that thrives on line chemistry. That line doesn't have it.

Apparently he doesn't have chemistry with anyone on our team since he was been tried on every line. Richards and Carter have great chemistry, lets try and add or promote someone who can add to that and let Penner go.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
You'll all be sorry you're saying this. Penner's a beast. And there's a reason he doesn't score during the regular season and its not because he's "lazy".

So you'd trade Brown off this team as quick as you can because he's not good enough but you'd keep Penner?? :help:

KingKopitar11*

Penner has made some amazing drop passes to no one that's there. I'm going to miss those.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
That's cool Penner's gone... now show me who you are going to replace him with... Clifford? Frattin (3rd liner from a team that just made the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade?) Lets throw Pearson out there or Swiss Miss...

Got no problem with replacing someone with a better player... just don't see a better player available to the kings at this point..

Fun fact... Penner tied Kopitar in goals this last playoffs...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
That's cool Penner's gone... now show me who you are going to replace him with... Clifford? Frattin (3rd liner from a team that just made the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade?) Lets throw Pearson out there or Swiss Miss...

Got no problem with replacing someone with a better player... just don't see a better player available to the kings at this point..

Penner's production was matched by other third liners... and Penner had the benefit of playing on the powerplay. I don't think it will be THAT hard to replace him.

He may have tied Kopitar in goals, but Kopitar still had better defensive play, and more points. Not to mention Kopitar also shows up in the regular season, as opposed to the "ZOMG PLAYOFF PENNERZ" people have been drooling over.

Scoring less than half a point per game as a one dimensional 2nd liner getting powerplay time is not as hard to replace as you're making it sound.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Penner's production was matched by other third liners... and Penner had the benefit of playing on the powerplay. I don't think it will be THAT hard to replace him.

He may have tied Kopitar in goals, but Kopitar still had better defensive play, and more points. Not to mention Kopitar also shows up in the regular season, as opposed to the "ZOMG PLAYOFF PENNERZ" people have been drooling over.

Scoring less than half a point per game as a one dimensional 2nd liner getting powerplay time is not as hard to replace as you're making it sound.

Naw it's quite easy to replace Penner... with the money the kings have left in cap space the answer is Clifford.. unless Frattin can take it from him.... Clifford on the second line just screams Cup....

I just believe that the Kings need to address their lack of scoring.... Don't see anything here that is going to help with that problem. Also Frattin and Clifford have a combined 3 goals life time in the NHL playoffs.. While I hope both do well in the future, saying those 2 will help scoring in the playoffs is a little premature.

Just throw Pearson out there and see how he does since the Kings don't appear to care about addressing the 2LW position....

Sydor25

LA Kings
I just believe that the Kings need to address their lack of scoring.... Don't see anything here that is going to help with that problem. Also Frattin and Clifford have a combined 3 goals life time in the NHL playoffs.. While I hope both do well in the future, saying those 2 will help scoring in the playoffs is a little premature.

I keep reading this all over these boards. Did everyone forget that the Kings were 10th in the NHL in offense this past season? Carter led the Western conference in goals and Brown was on a 30 goal pace. You guys really think that Frattin won't be able to outproduce Penner's production? Having Toffoli for a whole season, even if he is on the "3rd line", should out produce any of the bottom six from this past season. He can be used on the second PP unit.

If Kopitar and Brown turn into Casper in the playoffs again, it doesn't matter who Dean acquires, they are going to struggle scoring goals. The Kings had plenty of scoring outside of Kopitar and Brown. That is why the Kings "struggled" in the playoffs.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Did everyone forget that the Kings were 10th in the NHL in offense this past season?

I think the playoffs for Kopitar and Brown make people not remember that off hand. Plus the 11-12 regular season totals still burn a hole in the memory.

Penner did have a way of scoring a big goal or two in the playoffs. That and his size would be missed, even if he didn't always use that size. That Lombardi has talked contract with Penner says they wouldn't mind having him back, horrible regular season numbers and healthy scratches and all. Penner will just have to want to play for the Kings especially, and take a pretty substantial cut in pay to do it.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Another Fun Fact. Frattin, in his limited play last year due to injury, and as a LW, was on a pace to score 23 goals if it was a full season. You cannot say the same about Penner. Frattin has a better and more accurate shot than Penner. Here is a quote from Forbert about Frattin “I played with him in North Dakota for a year,” said Forbort. “He’s an awesome guy. [He has] one of the hardest shots I’ve ever seen. I think he had 36 goals in my freshman year, but he got snubbed for the Hobey [Baker Award], though.”

“He’s a great team guy, sticks up for his teammates, and he plays really hard,” added Forbort. “I know the guys here will love him.”

There is a reason Dean has been itching to get this guy for a while. Let's see how it pans out.

Toffoli obviously is another potential option, and you cannot argue that Penner is more gifted than Toffoli. You just can't.

Last edited:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
No penner means king most likely is on the third line again which sucks more than penners production. At least right now if DL can't find another winger....

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
No penner means king most likely is on the third line again which sucks more than penners production. At least right now if DL can't find another winger....

WE HAVE A WINGER!!!!! (winner)

Frattin, most of his scoring was done before the knee injury... hopefully he'll be back to where he was... Frattin also only has 6 playoff games under his belt... has potential, but no way is he a sure thing. Factor in the Kings defensive system also...

Regular season scoring is one thing, scoring against skilled teams with good defense and goaltenders in the playoffs is another. Maybe a threat on the 3rd line for an occasional goal would help...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Naw it's quite easy to replace Penner... with the money the kings have left in cap space the answer is Clifford.. unless Frattin can take it from him.... Clifford on the second line just screams Cup....

Just throw Pearson out there and see how he does since the Kings don't appear to care about addressing the 2LW position....

You can't have it all in the salary cap era. Every team has a "hole" that they have to try and fill with a player on an ELC, or at low cost. Would you rather have that "hole" in the net, on defense, or down the middle, or at LW?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Huh? Maybe I'm missing something here but just so you know, Penner and King had the same exact number of points in the playoffs with 5, except one was playing a top six role while the other was in a bottom six slot.

Regular season, King had 4 goals, Penner had 2 goals. Last years playoffs, King had 5 goals, Penner had 3 goals. Last year during the regular season, Penner had 7 goals in 65 games. King had 5 goals in 27 games.

I think some of you are just hating on King now just because it's the popular thing to do. Oh hey, a scapegoat, let's flog him!

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
i dont understand the hatred coming from you guys.

Sure he didnt do well as a King but he did well in the playoffs. He's a classy guy. He deserves at least a thank you for your time, good luck in the future.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I speak for all if not most ducks fans.. We have no room for Penner.. if we do sign Him, You could bet he would be in beast mode all year long!! Playing with the twins...Getz Setting him up with pancakes all year long lol..But seriously I think he goes to SJ...

Captain Mittens*

I speak for all if not most ducks fans.. We have no room for Penner.. if we do sign Him, You could bet he would be in beast mode all year long!! Playing with the twins...Getz Setting him up with pancakes all year long lol..But seriously I think he goes to SJ...
I speak for all if not most kings fans....when I say nobody cares bro

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Huh? Maybe I'm missing something here but just so you know, Penner and King had the same exact number of points in the playoffs with 5, except one was playing a top six role while the other was in a bottom six slot.

Regular season, King had 4 goals, Penner had 2 goals. Last years playoffs, King had 5 goals, Penner had 3 goals. Last year during the regular season, Penner had 7 goals in 65 games. King had 5 goals in 27 games.

I think some of you are just hating on King now just because it's the popular thing to do. Oh hey, a scapegoat, let's flog him!

And count Penner's opportunities on the powerplay, and his lack of production is even more mind boggling.

FWIW, I do like Penner the person. He just hasn't delivered in his years with the Kings and it's time to move on.

And the hate King gets is hilarious. I don't expect him to produce as a top six winger, and he doesn't. But one thing he DOESN'T do, that Penner DOES, is underachieve. In the off chance King was forced as a 2nd line lw, I'd be meh, but I do know he would meet reasonable expectations in the role he's put in.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see if someone in the "Pacific" picks him up. even if not Ducks, you can bet the Oilers want to get bigger, and SJ likes to sign people to spite us, so yeah.

You can't have it all in the salary cap era. Every team has a "hole" that they have to try and fill with a player on an ELC, or at low cost. Would you rather have that "hole" in the net, on defense, or down the middle, or at LW?

This is the catch. If you have great players, you have to pay them. The cap dictates your pretty much always going to have a position with less money invested, which means a great rookie on an ELC or a vet on a budget. We were fortunate during the cup run to have everything and the ELC players playing at the top of their game, much like the Hawks did this year. Other teams have holes at D, or G, or look at Toronto's never-ending search for a 1C while we have three of em. If our constant complaint is JUST about LW, well, I'm ok. Not satisfied, as you always have to strive to get better, but we can't invent a 30-goal scoring left winger on an ELC...unless its' Toffoli ;)

Winger23

May 3, 2007

Pull out the points and stats all you want. If you think king was a better option than penner I don't know what else to say.

I think both options suck. But given the situation with the cap there isn't much choice.

I have been hating on king for a long while now, so I'm not using him as a scapegoat.

Franton will provide more scoring on the 2nd line than penner did for sure. If I have to choose between penner and king for the third line I choose penner 100 percent of the time.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
And count Penner's opportunities on the powerplay, and his lack of production is even more mind boggling.

FWIW, I do like Penner the person. He just hasn't delivered in his years with the Kings and it's time to move on.

And the hate King gets is hilarious. I don't expect him to produce as a top six winger, and he doesn't. But one thing he DOESN'T do, that Penner DOES, is underachieve. In the off chance King was forced as a 2nd line lw, I'd be meh, but I do know he would meet reasonable expectations in the role he's put in.

Please name one thing king is good at. Serious question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad