Rumor: Dustin Penner invited to try-out ?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's a good sign that management is not in discussion with these fringe players, it's an endorsement of internal options and the depth that has been developed. I'd much rather management take a risk on a kid on the way up in his career than a beat up veteran on the way down.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well I can, he could just be the unwanted distraction you don't want to see during camp.
I don't really understand who he would "distract"? If our coaches and/or manager were somehow susceptible to being "distracted" by an inferior player, then that would be a problem with our coaching/management, not really with the concept of a risk-free invitation of a 6'4"/240lb former NHL 30-goal scorer to our training camp? :dunno:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't really understand who he would "distract"? If our coaches and/or manager were somehow susceptible to being "distracted" by an inferior player, then that would be a problem with our coaching/management, not really with the concept of a risk-free invitation of a 6'4"/240lb former NHL 30-goal scorer to our training camp? :dunno:

Who? How about all our youngsters expecting to battle each other? Not some dinosaur who could come in and ***** about being more deserving of a spot than people working for it. I don't get sending PTOs to old & tired players personally anyway, it always sounds like a bad idea to me. I don't care whether it's Mario Lemieux or some former 30 goal scorer, if the guy can't get a contract anywhere, don't bother signing him on a PTO. If he's that worth it just sign him to a 1 year deal, but you know we have no room so ... PTO or not, it's a bad idea.

Shaw65

Mar 13, 2011
Canada
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 6 min

UFA Dustin Penner has offers from Europe as well as NHL - agent says he will take his time.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
You know, Penner and Bourque are so frustratingly inconsistent, pairing them together could spark a paradox where their inconsistency becomes consistency!

Good pickup at the deadline for the playoffs, but not for a whole season. Although, the Ducks were clearly not as good after they traded him. He's a major league regular season floater though, and I have the feeling teams don't like his influence in the lockerroom (can't be sure tho). But the Ducks didn't seem to suffer when he was onboard, they were stronger and he can play on any line. Just don't expect him to use his size until it matters tho. I remember him being demoted after putting up points on the Getzlaf line tho - so I don't get it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 6 min

UFA Dustin Penner has offers from Europe as well as NHL - agent says he will take his time.
Which probably means, the offers he has are not that great...he is just a larger version of Bourque, regular season Bourque that is...I wouldn't think we are one of the teams in the mix...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Offers in Europe. He may have offers, but it doesn't mean he wants to go there.

Eklund is a bust anyways.

It's written as well as NHL. I wouldn't offer him a PTO If I knew he had offers from other NHL teams. OTOH it's kinda selfish to seek a PTO if you have offers, but I don't think he is seeking any. Eklund is a bust either way for sure.

Analyzer*

It's written as well as NHL. I wouldn't offer him a PTO If I knew he had offers from other NHL teams. OTOH it's kinda selfish to seek a PTO if you have offers, but I don't think he is seeking any. Eklund is a bust either way for sure.

How is it selfish to seek a PTO?

If he signs a PTO with us, he can't sign with any NHL team unless the habs say it's ok.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

If he signs a PTO with us, he can't sign with any NHL team unless the habs say it's ok.

If another team is offering you a real contract and you're saying no in favor of a lousy PTO, there's good chances you have other things in mind than just making a living doing what you do best right?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Who? How about all our youngsters expecting to battle each other? Not some dinosaur who could come in and ***** about being more deserving of a spot than people working for it. I don't get sending PTOs to old & tired players personally anyway, it always sounds like a bad idea to me. I don't care whether it's Mario Lemieux or some former 30 goal scorer, if the guy can't get a contract anywhere, don't bother signing him on a PTO. If he's that worth it just sign him to a 1 year deal, but you know we have no room so ... PTO or not, it's a bad idea.

Assuming he even gets an invite, why would he ***** about being more deserving of a roster spot but not work for it? You just invited a story that never happened to criticize him.

So if management gets a free try to assess a player without committing a million+ dollars and a roster spot you're saying forget it, commit the roster spot? The whole idea of a PTO is lost on you I think.

What is so selfish about seeking a PTO if you have offers?:laugh:

It's the least selfish thing you can do, turning down money so that you can prove your worth first!

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Assuming he even gets an invite, why would he ***** about being more deserving of a roster spot but not work for it? You just invited a story that never happened to criticize him.

So if management gets a free try to assess a player without committing a million+ dollars and a roster spot you're saying forget it, commit the roster spot? The whole idea of a PTO is lost on you I think.

What is so selfish about seeking a PTO if you have offers?:laugh:

It's the least selfish thing you can do, turning down money so that you can prove your worth first!

That's just plain BS. The guy wouldn't be turning down a real contract to prove his worth, he's got nothing to prove at his age and he's Dustin Penner. If he just wants to win with a better team, I hope it blows up in his face. He should just take what's offered and help a team who actually needs him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That's just plain BS. The guy wouldn't be turning down a real contract to prove his worth, he's got nothing to prove at his age and he's Dustin Penner. If he just wants to win with a better team, I hope it blows up in his face. He should just take what's offered and help a team who actually needs him.

To paraphrase you, correct me if I'm wrong of course:

Dustin penner is selfish because he cares about winning. Stop being selfish Dustin and go for the money!

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
To paraphrase you, correct me if I'm wrong of course:

Dustin penner is selfish because he cares about winning. Stop being selfish Dustin and go for the money!

The difference here is whether he wants a team to make him a winner or if he wants to make a team a winner. Guys who want to make a team a winner will play for anyone. Besides, if I'm following your logic instead, he wants to prove himself so that he can make... more money? Since he has offers elsewhere... It's just so he can give the difference to charity right? :sarcasm:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Not true.

A player can accept a PTO, receive an offer from another team and pack his bags and go. When you take a PTO, you are still an unrestricted free agent. The player has no obligation to the organization he's trying out with and the team has no obligation to the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad