Rumor: Dustin Penner invited to try-out ?

Analyzer*

35 points would put him 8th on the team in points.

14 goals puts him 7th on the team.

92 hits puts him tied for 6th on the team.

35 points in 67 games.

However, he had 3 points in 18 games with the Capitals.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I can't see any harm in a tryout. I think there are good reasons why nobody offered Penner a contract yet. But on a tryout, you can't really go wrong. The team currently has several young waiver-exempt players penciled into the starting lineup. If Penner shows strongly in training camp and bumps somebody, well, more power to him, and benefit to us. I don't really see it happening, but who knows.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Depends how badly he wants it, i.e.: what is his playing weight. He cannot keep up with the game at 247. Forget it. If he wants it badly enough to show at camp 20-30 lbs lighter than that, then give him the camp invite. His inability to follow the game at 247 lbs is just physics; if he has the wherewithal to make the adjustment, he may still be able to play at an NHL level.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I can't see any harm in a tryout. I think there are good reasons why nobody offered Penner a contract yet. But on a tryout, you can't really go wrong. The team currently has several young waiver-exempt players penciled into the starting lineup. If Penner shows strongly in training camp and bumps somebody, well, more power to him, and benefit to us. I don't really see it happening, but who knows.

Well I can, he could just be the unwanted distraction you don't want to see during camp.

habitue*

Penner was good in LA and Anaheim. Atrocious with Washington and Edmonton. The guy wants to play only in California. No way he's gonna endure Montreal's winters.

Analyzer*

Penner was good in LA and Anaheim. Atrocious with Washington and Edmonton. The guy wants to play only in California. No way he's gonna endure Montreal's winters.

Penner's last full season in Edmonton he scored 32 goals.

Penner also sucked in Los Angles.

After being traded from Edmonton to LA

19 games 6 points
65 games 17 points
33 games 14 points

11 goals total in 117 games with LA.

128 games for Bourque with Montreal 21 goals.

Bourque has played better with Montreal than Penner did with LA.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Unwanted distraction? It's Dustin Penner. Like...Dustin Penner. It's not that big of a deal.

Yes Dustin Penner, the kind of player we already have too many of: Aging, lazy & opportunistic. There's absolutely nothing to gain from playing him on the habs even for an exhibition game. I'd give a spot to Bournival wearing a blindfold 100 times before even considering Penner.

Edit: You already hear me *****in about Bourque, you want to hear ***** about Bourque & Penner? Come on... :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well sometimes you invite someone over and then he just lingers on and just WONT GO AWAY!
:sarcasm:

I think a lot has to do with confidence and where the guy,s state of mind is. You happen to invite a guy who, at this time, his in a state of mind to work his butt off and prove everybody wrong....sorry, but I don't see the problem. Yet....I know...it would slow down our team speed....even more than it is now. So not ideal. But let say you move somebody else? Or let say you have him and he does well during preseason giving him some kind of value? Honestly, I have no problem giving anybody's spot to a youngster....but the said youngster needs to prove he is better than any other option.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well I can, he could just be the unwanted distraction you don't want to see during camp.

I could see a French-born former star like Simon Gagne being a distraction, but I can't fathom how someone like Dustin Penner could be a distraction at all.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I could see a French-born former star like Simon Gagne being a distraction, but I can't fathom how someone like Dustin Penner could be a distraction at all.

Regardless of ethnicity, just being in the news is distraction enough in Montreal.

Here's a question: Who's the last high profile player that was invited to Habs camp?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I have no problem with Penner, I see his uses down low, but it'll just take a roster spot from Sekac. There are no other openings on the team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This breakdown of points is weird. One joined new team, other just decided to play.

If you want to break it down in Anaheim then Washington, so be it.

As you pointed out, 18GP, 1G, 2A, 3 PTS +3 with Washington with 12:18 TOI/G

Leaving 49GP, 13G, 19A, 32 PTS +22 with Anaheim with 15:15 TOI/G

If you're going to separate how the last 18 games, at least show both pieces...

Not saying we should expect that from Penner but man oh man that's a big difference.

Other than that, you're right, he doesn't look too much better than bourque but he's got size that we can use for a specific role. 6'4 247 is pretty impressive. I'm not a size is everything guy but in this specific case it can be a low risk high reward.

Assuming he gets an invite(which I doubt) he'd need to earn his spot anyway.

Breakdown isn't weird. The point was to show how they both ended their years. One finished on a positive, the other, as you mentioned, got traded and couldn't adapt.
This is the 2nd time it happened with Penner, and look how he followed up the season after being traded in LA? He scored 17pts in 65gp.

Sure he's big. He's also really slow, and hits about as much as Bourque.

Not that I'm against an invite, we really lose nothing by it. But I don't think he's an upgrade on Bourque.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Yes to Penner for me, if...a la cheap (or very cheap).

Good for our top 9-12 depth (adds size/height, more options...in case of many injuries).

Penner VS Sekac VS Hudon VS Andrighetto VS De La Rose.

But, for playoffs...Weise is my 3rd line warrior for that 9th spot:handclap:.
(Bourque-Eller-Weise...had good chemistry, heck...I'd even try Weise with DD+Pacioretty...might work, never know until you try...82 games is meant for this, imo).

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
This breakdown of points is weird. One joined new team, other just decided to play.

If you want to break it down in Anaheim then Washington, so be it.

As you pointed out, 18GP, 1G, 2A, 3 PTS +3 with Washington with 12:18 TOI/G

Leaving 49GP, 13G, 19A, 32 PTS +22 with Anaheim with 15:15 TOI/G

If you're going to separate how the last 18 games, at least show both pieces...

Not saying we should expect that from Penner but man oh man that's a big difference.

Other than that, you're right, he doesn't look too much better than bourque but he's got size that we can use for a specific role. 6'4 247 is pretty impressive. I'm not a size is everything guy but in this specific case it can be a low risk high reward.

Assuming he gets an invite(which I doubt) he'd need to earn his spot anyway.

Well, if you get to play with Getzlaf and Perry for a considerable amount of that time, you better be putting up some sort of result. (Even if it is despite yourself)

I do agree with you on your last point, all this means is that he would get a chance to earn a spot.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey is clearly the best fit for a guy like Penner. I could see him slotting into a top 9 role for them and put up a whopping 20-25 points.

As for the Habs? I'd pass.
how could Penner be a 3rd liner in Jersey.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
...how are the pancakes at the Bell Centre??...:laugh:

Crêpes should be easier to stickhandle. :sarcasm:

PennerCakes.gif

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'd prefer Penner over Bourque clearly but not both

I agree.

But this is cart before the horse stuff.

1. The information has yet to be confirmed.
2. Even if interested, he may goto a different camp.
3. If he does goto the camp, no guarantee he impresses for a contract.
4. If he does impress for a contract, it'll be the type of deal that's easy to stuff in the minors/waive.
5. If he impresses for a contract and plays great, he's going to be a huge contributor. And then there's no reason to complain.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
To me it's a no brainer and a good insurance policy. Give him and the kids training camp and see how it pans out. If no young player steps up and forces their way into the top 9 you sign him for 1 year. Really no risk involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad