Rumor: Dustin Penner invited to try-out ?

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
New Jersey makes sense. Philly not so much and the Habs even less. Habs have four lines ready with Moen and Bournival as spares, so Penner doesn't make any sense unless a trade happens.

I like Penner but he's slowed down over the years and wouldn't add much to the team the Habs are about to ice.

New Jersey doesn't make much sense either. They have like 16 forwards already.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He'd be insanely useful on the PP. Penner in front or Gallagher/Desharnais. Let me think about it for about 0.1 seconds...

Not sure if we will try him out but a try out is nothing big. He'd have to earn his spot and I'd be open to giving him an opportunity to prove himself.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
New Jersey doesn't make sense logically, they just make sense because it's such a "New Jersey thing to do" lately.

Philly, well, for some reason it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up there, despite it being totally illogical.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's been pretty terrible the last few years, I'd rather give Bournival/Sekac/Andrighetto a chance and if we need a forward during the year would rather add one through a trade. He's another Bourque who can show up once every 20 games, but I'd still rather Bourque as he's better defensively and can play on both wings.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Penner started off the year with the Ducks on an incredible hot streak, but cooled off considerably.

He's been pretty disappointing since 2010-2011. Even when he was producing well with the Oilers, his effort was Bourque-like.

A one year deal wouldn't hurt, and I guess he would provide some insurance in the bottom 6 if Sekac fails to make the club. However, I don't want to have pull my hair out over another player who has the talent to produce, but is in the moon offensively on most nights. Bourque is enough for me right now.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You can only have one of those guys in a team, more than that is a crime against the fan base.

Montreality

Jul 11, 2012
Montreal
Possible PTO for Penner in MTL

I saw ''somewhere'' that Penner is going for a PTO either in New Jersey, Montreal or Philly. If he's in shape I think he could complete the roster quite well especially in more physical games.Good thing about him is he could even play with Patches an DD if parenteau doesnt fit there.

Discuss

Annnnnnd theres already a thread for this lol

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
A slower, fatter version of René Bourque who's best years are several seasons and teams removed. As some posters said, we've already reached our quota for this type of player. Unless our plan is to get cut to pieces by faster teams.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
We have our own Dustin Penner and he's called Rene Bourque

FWIW, If Penner would take a 1 year deal at small salary I'd push as hard as possible to move bourque. Sell his playoff run and replace him right away.

Unfortunately I don't think we can but it's certainly not set in stone than BOTH need to be on the team.

Realistically, Penner won't be a hab anyway but rene bourque shouldn't be the one stopping him from coming here if he has a successful try out. (assuming he even gets a try out from us).

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Anyone > Moen

Not true. Moen is still an excellent PKer. Moen doesn't play with fire anymore. I wish he'd be a little more in your face but he isn't, seems tame.

Regardless, Moen as a 13th forward is a luxury IMO. Problem is it's not something we desperately need so moving him wouldn't hurt.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Jesus guys, calm down.

1) it's a try out.
2) He could surprise and show chemistry with somebody.
3) IF he does surprise and signs a cheap contract, it gives Bergevin a lot of options to cap dump Bourque or Moen, get extra draft picks and whatnot

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Dogs-Do-Not-Want-2.jpg

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Penner started off the year with the Ducks on an incredible hot streak, but cooled off considerably.

He's been pretty disappointing since 2010-2011. Even when he was producing well with the Oilers, his effort was Bourque-like.

A one year deal wouldn't hurt, and I guess he would provide some insurance in the bottom 6 if Sekac fails to make the club. However, I don't want to have pull my hair out over another player who has the talent to produce, but is in the moon offensively on most nights. Bourque is enough for me right now.

Bourque is a plug compared to Penner. Bourque had 16 points in 63 games last season. Penner had 35 in 67 games.

I would love to unload Bourque and sign Penner for the Habs.

Bourque was -1 on a playoff team. Penner was + 22.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
FWIW, If Penner would take a 1 year deal at small salary I'd push as hard as possible to move bourque. Sell his playoff run and replace him right away.

Unfortunately I don't think we can but it's certainly not set in stone than BOTH need to be on the team.

Realistically, Penner won't be a hab anyway but rene bourque shouldn't be the one stopping him from coming here if he has a successful try out. (assuming he even gets a try out from us).

Would you really replace Bourque with Penner? Bourque can still skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad