Injury Report: Dustin Byfuglien (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
When he starts skating there better be one of our reporters there to watch and report . I don't care how they find out , just find out , it's their friggen job . I've gotten more info on here than anywhere else .

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
When he starts skating there better be one of our reporters there to watch and report . I don't care how they find out , just find out , it's their friggen job . I've gotten more info on here than anywhere else .

It will prob be outside his ice fishing shack on Lake Winnipeg......We need a drone to follow him around to get some good video :D

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Good luck with that! The local guys will pick it up from the national guys and report it 2 hours later.......maybe not that quick though.

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I've been out of the loop on this for a bit

Was it ever confirmed that, despite signing A-ok in the end of the year physical, buff had suffered the foot injury during the playoffs (along with the ankle ailment), Maurice referenced it in his end of year presser

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Was it ever confirmed that, despite signing A-ok in the end of the year physical, buff had suffered the foot injury during the playoffs (along with the ankle ailment), Maurice referenced it in his end of year presser

Nothing has been confirmed to the best of my knowledge as it appears both parties are still going through the arbitration process.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if Buff is rehabbing and supposedly trying to get back on the ice while the arbitration process is sorting itself out, i take this as a positive

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I love Billeck's report in the Sun whose story is nothing more than a tweet quote.

"In a tweet on Wednesday, Dreger said Byfuglien has yet to hit the ice “but a potential return clearly hinges on the next phase and some think he’s at that point.”

If Byfuglien is wanting to test his ankle on the ice, it could be an indication that he’s leaning toward returning at some point once he is healed and back in hockey shape.

It could also mean absolutely nothing."

"Some think he's at that point"...who?

"If Byfuglien" "it could be" "leaning toward" "returning at some point" "once healed" "& in hockey shape"...how many qualifiers are allowed in a single sentence?

"or it could mean absolutely nothing"...welcome to sports journalism.

Last edited:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
if Buff is rehabbing and supposedly trying to get back on the ice while the arbitration process is sorting itself out, i take this as a positive
He has no choice. Can you imagine him trying to plead his case that he deserves the money yet he is not willing to rehab. The injury isn't career ending. He has to prove his intent isn't to retire but to try and play hockey again. Otherwise case is closed and the Jets win.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He has no choice. Can you imagine him trying to plead his case that he deserves the money yet he is not willing to rehab. The injury isn't career ending. He has to prove his intent isn't to retire but to try and play hockey again. Otherwise case is closed and the Jets win.
wouldn't it matter if it's a hockey related injury or not? like if it is a hockey related injury doesn't he get the money?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
wouldn't it matter if it's a hockey related injury or not? like if it is a hockey related injury doesn't he get the money?

It would have to be career ending for him to collect payment while not have to do everything he can to get back.

If it is deemed he can still play if he rehabs then he has to try to rehab I believe.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It would have to be career ending for him to collect payment while not have to do everything he can to get back.

If it is deemed he can still play if he rehabs then he has to try to rehab I believe.
if it's a hockey related injury, he should be on ltir instead of unpaid suspension

Reactions: GaryPoppins

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That is a whole other cam of worms. He didn't report to camp or follow proper procedure. That is why he was suspended.
how is it a whole other can of worms? it's literally what they are fighting over whether he should of been on LTIR or unpaid suspension. he was granted a personal leave of absence from the team and then suspended if he is hurt from hockey he should be on ltir. perhaps the team didn't think it was a hockey related injury? yet maurice referenced it in his end of year presser.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I love Billeck's report in the Sun whose story is nothing more than a tweet quote.

"In a tweet on Wednesday, Dreger said Byfuglien has yet to hit the ice “but a potential return clearly hinges on the next phase and some think he’s at that point.”

If Byfuglien is wanting to test his ankle on the ice, it could be an indication that he’s leaning toward returning at some point once he is healed and back in hockey shape.

It could also mean absolutely nothing."

"Some think he's at that point"...who?

"If Byfuglien" "it could be" "leaning toward" "returning at some point" "once healed" "& in hockey shape"...how many qualifiers are allowed in a single sentence?

"or it could mean absolutely nothing"...welcome to sports journalism.
Absolutely. Its garbage.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
how is it a whole other can of worms? it's literally what they are fighting over whether he should of been on LTIR or unpaid suspension. he was granted a personal leave of absence from the team and then suspended if he is hurt from hockey he should be on ltir. perhaps the team didn't think it was a hockey related injury? yet maurice referenced it in his end of year presser.

There is a specific procedure he still must follow. He didn't report to have the team Drs check it out. He then went and had surgery without team consent which is also against the CBA.

The whole injury thing is a red hairing as far as I'm concerned. The issue is if he is allowed to circumvent the CBA or not.

Had he followed proper procedure he most certainly would be on the IR right now and collecting his pay check.

He chose not to and his camp and the PA are trying to get him his cash back.

The NHL naturally is fighting it to protect the CBA and the injury provisions in it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As an aside I wonder if one of the reasons why this process is taking so long is that the Jets are trying to do right by a player who made some procedure mistakes and work out some form of settlement where he gets some of his money back.

It wouldn't surprise me that when all is said and done Buff will be paid from the time he entered a rehab process agreed To by the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Insurance companies will play a part in this, too. Assuming Buff's contract is insured, who pays if he isn't able to resume his career? If players are allowed to just decide not to continue playing and claiming injury, then insurance companies will stop insuring contracts, or make the costs very high and rules much more stringent.

Reactions: surixon

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As an aside I wonder if one of the reasons why this process is taking so long is that the Jets are trying to do right by a player who made some procedure mistakes and work out some form of settlement where he gets some of his money back.

It wouldn't surprise me that when all is said and done Buff will be paid from the time he entered a rehab process agreed To by the team.

If I was Bettman, I wouldn't allow that. I think the NHL wants their day in court figuratively speaking to get a ruling on a situation with far reaching effects. If there is a loophole in the CBA that wins this for the NHLPA, they will again, certainly want to address that in the next round of bargaining.

Reactions: JetsUK

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Not sure if this was discussed earlier here but is there a date that Buff has to be on the active roster to be eligible for the playoffs?

I know the trade deadline is the date for that just not sure if it applies to someone suspended, or how it applied when Buff was under contract but not playing.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Not sure if this was discussed earlier here but is there a date that Buff has to be on the active roster to be eligible for the playoffs?

I know the trade deadline is the date for that just not sure if it applies to someone suspended, or how it applied when Buff was under contract but not playing.
No. Can be reinstated at anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad