Movies: Dune by Denis Villeneuve?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Blade Runner is my all-time favorite film, but 2049 is a much better, more cohesive film in almost any respect. Blade Runner is actually a narrative mess.
2049 just feels like a rehash of the first one and Zimmer just basically copied Vangelis soundtrack from the first one, hence my feelings. Just to clarify, I didn't think 2049 was bad or anything, just that I prefer the original(s) more.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really liked 2049 as well.

Jussi said:
Zimmer just basically copied Vangelis soundtrack from the first one, hence my feelings.

I don't really think so at all, and I'm a massive fan of the original.

Vangelis' soundtrack (which I listen to frequently) is a moody, atmospheric, ethereal sci-fi inspired jazz/blues. It's more introspective.

You're probably referring to Bladerunner Blues which is sort of the most iconic song from the film.

But there's nothing really like Rachel's Song which uses the sax (it is an 80s movie after all):

There are a few points in the film where Zimmer re-uses some of the theme motifs (like at the very end), but for the most part, it's quite a bit different.

Whereas, Zimmer has moments that are more industrial. The closest track to the original is probably this one, taking place when they are on their way to San Diego:

Which is clearly an intentional homage to the flying scene to the police HQ in the first film.

But this one is nothing like the original film:

What I like so much about 2049 is that it manages to be an homage to the original WITHOUT copying it IMO.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's lame that we have to wait 4 more months simply because the actors won't promote it. I wonder if we'll see more delays for the same reason and nothing good will come out in theaters at the end of the year.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's lame that we have to wait 4 more months simply because the actors won't promote it. I wonder if we'll see more delays for the same reason and nothing good will come out in theaters at the end of the year.
It's almost the new normal to have movies delayed multiple times after all the COVID ones...

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ok so looks like it is almost a sure thing that a 3rd Villeneuve movie will be made and it would be based on the second novel Dune: Messiah.
I'd rather see Villeneuve put his talents to work elsewhere.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It’s his life ambition to make Dune films. Let him get them out of his system
I understand, and I like Dune.

A director is only in his prime for so long. I would be more interested in his next project if it was something more original.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if there was more director's of his caliber working on big sci-fiction these days, but he's one of the only ones.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I guess. It's not like he's 75 or something. I figure we'll get Dune and 3-4 more very good movies before any kind of "decline".

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
FIrst Dune was epic and a masterpiece. It’s not like he’s wasting his talents doing these flicks. And since they are also his personal passion project, it’s great that he gets to do them now when he’s ”hot” and able to demand big production budgets.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
FIrst Dune was epic and a masterpiece. It’s not like he’s wasting his talents doing these flicks. And since they are also his personal passion project, it’s great that he gets to do them now when he’s ”hot” and able to demand big production budgets.
Counterpoint: Dune is where directors go to throw away their careers. Villeneuve pulled off the first one, but with each additional one he makes the risk adds up :laugh:

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
It is just so bad and f***ing meh. Modern holliwood filled with motherf***ers whish are extremely ambiguous and pretensious and absolutely untalented

• Haha
Reactions: beowulf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad