News Article: Dundon New Chairman of AAF

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The article is paywall, sorry. Still worth mentioning.

NHL owner rescues fledgling AAF with much-needed cash infusion
NHL owner rescues fledgling AAF with much-needed cash...

That’s a $250 million investment and a new position as the chairman of an entire league.

When he said he wants to put processes in place and then pull back, he wasn’t kidding. On to bigger things.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I mean, this means that any TV revenue, which continues to be a big deal for any live sporting event, basically now goes directly into his pocket. But who is gonna give a **** about this league? I don't get it.

High school football gets tens of thousands of people in crowds in some places. And how many D1 college teams can pack 80k in? I don't think football is such a bad investment, there's demand out there for football that goes far beyond NFL fandoms. Something in between college and the NFL seems like it could be a viable niche.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree Hank, I don't get it either. This seems like an odd move for him. Maybe he feels he can do like he's done with Carolina and bring marketing, in game experience, media attention, etc.. to build the brand and then hope the NFL or someone else pays him more for it at a later date?

That's a gamble. WWE and NBC each lost a big chunk of their investment in the XFL way back when.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Don't have a clue if this is a good investment. On the surface it looks like a horrible use of 250M. For a guy who is reportedly worth 1.1B, he's spent ALOT of money in the past year. I'm sure there's all kinds of accountin' going on to buy 2 sports teams in a year, but this just seems a bit crazy when he has an NHL team just beginning show signs of a pulse again.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Does anyone have the true make-up of the deal? Is $250M really $250M in cash? Or is he assuming debt? or what?

Timing is odd also. "Hey North Carolina and PNC arena, I need a better lease deal or a downtown arena to make this work."

"Oh look, a sports league nobody watches and many people don't even know about, I'll plop down $250M for it, why not?"

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I could barely get excited about the NFL this year. Much less some NFL D-league. I don't see who the target market could possibly be.

Does anyone have the true make-up of the deal? Is $250M really $250M in cash? Or is he assuming debt? or what?

Timing is odd also. "Hey North Carolina and PNC arena, I need a better lease deal or a downtown arena to make this work."

"Oh look, a sports league nobody watches and many people don't even know about, I'll plop down $250M for it, why not?"

That's the issue. Pretty much kills his good-will to complain about money if he is throwing $250M at a league that failed in the first 2 weeks.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean, it's possible but I don't think the AAF would do well here. MLS is a more likely option, and frankly I think Raleigh would support a franchise better than Charlotte.
Raleigh doesn't have a prayer now that Tepper is going all in for the Independence in Charlotte. There's only room for 1 team in NC, and Malik seems to have given up hope for a bid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad