Player Discussion Duncan Keith

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yup. Said it all year. Keith has been good.

Gregor mentioned yesterday he's been our most consistent dman, and when the team was absolute junk for 20 games, he was our best dman by a good margin.

His #s have been on point for his role and SALARY.

Man it must sting like a mf for a few posters that he's doing so well.

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Yup. Said it all year. Keith has been good.

Gregor mentioned yesterday he's been our most consistent dman, and when the team was absolute junk for 20 games, he was our best dman by a good margin.

His #s have been on point for his role and SALARY.

Man it must sting like a mf for a few posters that he's doing so well.
Ceci has been our most consistent d-man. If anything, Keith has been inconsistent.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
He was brought in to be a solid #2 LD. Mission accomplished! Hopefully next year at this time Broberg has supplanted him and we are speculating on where we spend the cap savings

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I must say I think DK has been great so far through 41.

Aside from the Blackhawks off ice stuff how do you guys think he has been in his 1st year with the Oilers?

I'm hoping he settles the boys down in the playoffs and we can go on a run!
I'm not sure what the Blackhawks off ice issues have to do with his performance on the ice.
As for how he's performed overall, I would say B +, or , decent.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Keith has objectively been better. All his numbers are better.

Wrong. Gregor sited some stats and Mcurdy just wrote an article about him. Keith has been better, especially the last 20 games
Saying that he has been our most consistent d-man all season is just false. He has been very high event and up / down this season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Saying that he has been our most consistent d-man all season is just false. He has been very high event and up / down this season.
Just because it’s what you want to believe doesn’t make it true. He’s been distinctly our 2nd best D man.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We'll see how he does vs this tougher upcoming part of our schedule.

So far he has gotten better and better all year. Good to see

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Just because it’s what you want to believe doesn’t make it true. He’s been distinctly our 2nd best D man.
He is a good dman if he hangs back and lets his partner do his thing. FFS, he gets beaten like a rented mule. Am I lunatic for thinking this? He makes good quick passes everywhere though. He should not have got 2 years.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Show me the numbers that suggest that. Ceci has played 1046 minutes at even strength this year compared to Keith's 767, gets higher defensive zone starts, has a lower xGA/60 (2.24 vs 2.3 for Keith), and a lower HDCA/60 (10.06 vs 10.89 for Keith).

Even the article @bobbythebrain is referencing shows Keith as having an up and down Grade A shots +/- over stretches and shows Ceci as having the best Grade A shots +/- this year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Show me the numbers that suggest that. Ceci has played 1046 minutes at even strength this year compared to Keith's 767, gets higher defensive zone starts, has a lower xGA/60 (2.24 vs 2.3 for Keith), and a lower HDCA/60 (10.06 vs 10.89 for Keith).

Even the article @bobbythebrain is referencing shows Keith as having an up and down Grade A shots +/- over stretches and shows Ceci as having the best Grade A shots +/- this year.

5 on 5 we outscore the opposition 40-37 with Ceci on the ice. With Keith out there it’s 35-27. All his shot metrics are slightly better 5 on 5. His on ice rate metrics are stronger. He also hasn’t got to play with nurse while Ceci has spent a decent amount of time with him. Keith’s been dragging around either Barrie or Bouchard or an AHL guy when not playing with Ceci himself.

Even if you want to say Ceci has been better it’s by the absolute slimmest of margins both players have been more or less similar in a similar role. Keith just has the better results.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
FFS, he gets beaten like a rented mule. Am I lunatic for thinking this?
Yes you are. He has the best goals against/60 at even strength of any d man on our team. If he was getting “beaten like a rented mule” regularly the it would end up in the back of the net way more.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
5 on 5 we outscore the opposition 40-37 with Ceci on the ice. With Keith out there it’s 35-27. All his shot metrics are slightly better 5 on 5. His on ice rate metrics are stronger. He also hasn’t got to play with nurse while Ceci has spent a decent amount of time with him. Keith’s been dragging around either Barrie or Bouchard or an AHL guy when not playing with Ceci himself.

Even if you want to say Ceci has been better it’s by the absolute slimmest of margins both players have been more or less similar in a similar role. Keith just has the better results.
Hes the one being dragged currently this last 4 game stretch. See if he can rectify his game but man is there a lot to be desired.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Keith is still a good D-man, but he does make the odd gaffe here and there. I'm hoping he still has that extra gear for the playoffs (he didn't have a great 2020 season, yet looked like dominant #1D against our team in the play-in series). If he can push himself to be a higher end 2nd pairing LD in the playoffs, he will be worth his weight in gold

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah I get the issue with the deal at the time, but Keith has been great for us this season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he out for a large portion of the 2 wins in 15 games stretch? The issue with the defence right now is that Bouchard has taken a step back recently, but you have to keep playing him because he's the future. I know the team has given up a lot of goals, but the defence looks way better this year than last when healthy, mostly due to Ceci and Keith.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Yeah I get the issue with the deal at the time, but Keith has been great for us this season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he out for a large portion of the 2 wins in 15 games stretch? The issue with the defence right now is that Bouchard has taken a step back recently, but you have to keep playing him because he's the future. I know the team has given up a lot of goals, but the defence looks way better this year than last when healthy, mostly due to Ceci and Keith.
Well yeah, when you remove two young d men who probably shouldn't have been consistent NHLers and replace them with a solid veteran and a future HOFer that shouldn't really surprise anyone. I mean I guess you could argue we lost Larsson, but he was piss poor a lot of his time here as well. Our D did get better, but like I'm sorry, I've watched most of the games this season and Keith has been unnoticeable at best and awful on a lot of nights. I don't really remember ever thinking Keith is having a solid game and have thought that about Ceci multiple times this season. For me he's so overpaid for what he provides and no amount of propaganda is going to convince me otherwise. Holland should have been fired for that deal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad