Player Discussion Duncan Keith

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
We need more veterans like Keith. Who on this team has won a cup? Just Keith! (Could be wrong but I thought Chiasson was our only last year). We need more unless you want everyone to try to figure it out by trial and error when we make it to the playoffs?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The dynamic doesn't require specifics. For years everybody hated Drew Doughty because he was owning hockey and their teams. The oft stated is true. If opponent fans hate you its because you're having success on ice. The same fans would usually love you on their. Theres exceptions to the rule. I wouldn't want Gaudreau or Ratboy on my team.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
It takes time for a new player to become part of a leadership core on a new club. Duncan Keith is probably wise enough to have taken his time doing that, and he's an astute guy. Keith knows what kind of alphas Leon, Connor, Nurse, even Smith are. So that he's settled into leadership here slowly. Very wise.

Of note, the oft regarded best leader in hockey, Messier, made several mistakes in Vancouver including trying to be the leader in that room far too quick. He notes that in his Biography book, that it was his biggest learning and biggest failure, and years later has a better view on all his mistakes in Vancouver. he didn't have the room. He tried to be lead the room before he even had the room.

Won't be until playoffs and the stretch that we see more benefit and Keith is a money player. Whenever the games get more important he does.
He played 16 season in Chicago, his only nhl team. You would think it would take time to adjust to a new city, team, coaches and systems. These NHL 2021 GMs that just think that when they trade in game it should be the same for "people in real life" make me laugh... or cry.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was wondering that. Could be?

Yes. Vancouver was enroute to a Presidents Trophy. Sedin was injured and didn't return until Game 4 of the first round . Keith was back before playoffs after a brief suspension. Vancouver lost vs. LA in 5 games. Sedin's shooting percentage never fully recovered after the injury but that could be just as much age as the injury, but Vancouver fans blame him for it. Also, that was right at Vancouver's peak and they gradually dropped down the standings in the following years.

Furthermore, Chicago had played Vancouver in the playoffs 3 years in a row so there was already hostility brewing prior to the incident

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There are fancy stats out there that imply that Nurse is just an overall bad defenseman. He's no Norris contender, but I struggle with people trying to tell me that Nurse is awful as well.
I've always thought he's awesome but not a 1. He is a jack of all trades type.. can punch, can skate, can defend.. does it all. But not a tippy top guy. Tier 1 probably has 10 guys and he's tier 2 imo.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes. Vancouver was enroute to a Presidents Trophy. Sedin was injured and didn't return until Game 4 of the first round . Keith was back before playoffs after a brief suspension. Vancouver lost vs. LA in 5 games. Sedin's shooting percentage never fully recovered after the injury but that could be just as much age as the injury, but Vancouver fans blame him for it. Also, that was right at Vancouver's peak and they gradually dropped down the standings in the following years.

Furthermore, Chicago had played Vancouver in the playoffs 3 years in a row so there was already hostility brewing prior to the incident
Vancouver fans fail to realize this was in retaliation to a headshot he received from a Sedin.

Reactions: bone and oilers'72

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The dynamic doesn't require specifics. For years everybody hated Drew Doughty because he was owning hockey and their teams. The oft stated is true. If opponent fans hate you its because you're having success on ice. The same fans would usually love you on their. Theres exceptions to the rule. I wouldn't want Gaudreau or Ratboy on my team.
Actually in this case the fans have a long memory of the headshot he delivered to one of the sisters years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad