Player Discussion Duncan Keith

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Okay so heres my thoughts, keith has one more year after this year on his contract but he had an issue with gettting vaxxed and with covid in general. so my thought is that is if after being in protocol and all that hate towards the vax and covid in the nhl in general do you think he takes a hard look at retirement after this season?

im sure most of you know but if keith retires at the end of the season or before the next season starts that chi is on the hook for his last year of his contract. not only that the oilers get a 3m bonus in cap space for the next season.

so if youre holland do you try to convince keith to retire at the end of the year by offering him like a scouting position to watch bc teams play to double dip kinda thing where he doesnt have to actually scout and just essentially collects a paycheque so oilers get the 5.5 off their books and get an additional 3m in cap space for next year?

but after confirming that keith will retire at the end of the season then holland goes after chychrun at the tdl or even before?

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Still a good player, but too small with his age, to be strong in his end. 3rd pairing material, or he will burn out completely by the playoffs.

Not the right fit, at his price tag.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The Keith trade was LOL bad. His cap hit for what he brings is brutal.

But.

He is an ok #4 to round out the top 4 and hopefully can play well enough this/next year and be healthy enough to be a stop gag for Niemelainen, Samourukov, or Broberg to develop into a legit top 4 option.

Keith retiring is a pipe dream. No reason he does it.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Only thing that really comes to mind for me with him is.

He's not as good as I was hoping and he's been better than I feared?

I guess that's average or meh... or in the end.. ok.

Reactions: nturn06

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I enjoy everyone taking the opportunity to super bitch about this trade while he’s out…
Keith and Smith aren't actually hurt. It's a ruse from management as a way to limit the wear on their bodies so they're mid season form come playoff time since the team isn't going to miss the playoffs without them.

It's sneaky but I'm wise to the plan now. Got everybody fooled :thumbu:

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
The Keith trade was LOL bad. His cap hit for what he brings is brutal.

But.

He is an ok #4 to round out the top 4 and hopefully can play well enough this/next year and be healthy enough to be a stop gag for Niemelainen, Samourukov, or Broberg to develop into a legit top 4 option.

Keith retiring is a pipe dream. No reason he does it.
The only thing is though is he makes only around a million in real dollars.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I enjoy everyone taking the opportunity to super bitch about this trade while he’s out…

Can't comment on other takes but its reasonable to mention, and people were before season started, that relying on older players like Keith and Smith can be a fools game. The extent of injury risk, LTI, etc, all greater with older players and Smith particularly seems to have annual extended times off.

At this point its reminding me of when the Oilers had Jacques Plante in net and he contractually would only play home games if he was ever in the lineup at all.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I like Keith. I wasn't a fan of the trade due to the cap hit, and giving up assets in a deal where we should have had all the leverage, but I think having someone like him whos been so successful around to mentor the younger guys is going to play a big part in the development of our top D prospects.

He's also been surprisingly good in a second pair role, and I have a ton of faith in him bringing it if we make the playoffs.

That said, I really do feel we handcuffed ourselves by depending on him and Smith for not only this year, but next. We almost need a dman to become a top pair on an ELC, and for Skinner to take over as a 1B at worst.

Reactions: Aerchon

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
CFE89D5D-C308-4501-B427-53824ED62FD2.jpeg

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Don’t tell that to the analytics guys

Even the analytics guys should like him (not his cap hit, which I don’t like either). The writer of the article even admits he is a lot better than he expected. Main thing is his stats vs “elites” but as a second pairing guy, that’s fine.

Reactions: oilers'72

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Even the analytics guys should like him (not his cap hit, which I don’t like either). The writer of the article even admits he is a lot better than he expected. Main thing is his stats vs “elites” but as a second pairing guy, that’s fine.
The one thing I've been waiting for is the anti - andy/rono and jfresh crowd to post a card showing Keith is good. I imagine his card is perfectly acceptable but I haven't seen it yet.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The one thing I've been waiting for is the anti - andy/rono and jfresh crowd to post a card showing Keith is good. I imagine his card is perfectly acceptable but I haven't seen it yet.

If you read the article, it’s not all in a fancy chart but the information is there.

I’m not anti analytics but am against making sweeping judgements without regards to context and future play which those guys seem to thrive on to get clicks.

Reactions: ujju2 and oilers'72

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The whole point of that picture is he's doing well analytically lol.
Yeah but that’s not how analytics guys work. Once a player has really bad analytics once he is dubbed a “bad player”. No amount of actual statistics can change this as hardcore analytics guys put the onus of ones analytics on the player fully.

Even the guy who wrote that article is trying so damned hard to pretend the trade is still some disaster. I even agree cap should have been retained but to pretend it wasn’t a huge improvement on our left side was always absurd.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
We need defenceman that can ram opposing players through the glass. Keith is a creampuff.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We need defenceman that can ram opposing players through the glass. Keith is a creampuff.
Give up Holloway and get yourself a rammer for a 40game rental.

Russell, Barrie, Bouchard are also creampuffs

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Give up Holloway and get yourself a rammer for a 40game rental.

Russell, Barrie, Bouchard are also creampuffs
Yup, so 3 of 4 listed, are soft and expensive. Wonder why are team d sucks. Miserable fail, from management. Fire Holland real quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad