Player Discussion Duncan Keith (II)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Keith will be a really important player come playoff time
For his intelligence, informed play, positioning, anticipation. I have to admit having a different appreciation of him as a player now that I'm cheering for rather than viewing him as an opponent. In fandom we tend to dislike players, especially D, that are really effective. Thus a lot of people disliking Keith, Doughty, Pronger through the years.

I mean before Keith came here people here would talk more about his slashes and two handers than his informed play. So I think it takes most people a little while to get to viewing what he brings as bread and butter.

Keith/Ceci being our best pairing so far is an eye opener although I like both adds and thought they would be good. Nurse needs to reengage with what got him here. The one aspect of Keith being here is that Nurse is no longer Alpha. Thats something he's going to have to reconcile. I think Nurse needs to walk strong and be confident. It could be that seeing Keith here has kind of made it harder for Nurse to shine. I mean he's seeing Keith out there making better reads, having better positioning, making better outlets and jumps. Thats gotta be a bit tough at this exact time that Nurse is pressuring himself to live up to contract. Nurse should figure it out and seeing Keith should ultimately help.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
A goal and a plus 2 in twenty minutes is pretty good for a player that doesn’t belong in the NHL anymore according to you.

Well that is what the stats were stating from last year. So far it looks like there was a large team effect occurring and Keith isn't as bad as his stats would have suggested. Early still, but he is certainly playing better, no question about that. Let's see after another 15-20 GP, but hopefully he stays as is, because he is playing like a pretty good #5 right now (or thereabouts anyhow).

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Well that is what the stats were stating from last year. So far it looks like there was a large team effect occurring and Keith isn't as bad as his stats would have suggested. Early still, but he is certainly playing better, no question about that. Let's see after another 15-20 GP, but hopefully he stays as is, because he is playing like a pretty good #5 right now (or thereabouts anyhow).

So you just realized team/coaching affects player stats? How long have you been an Oiler fan?

Predicting Keith to provide solid defense here was basically a given

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He makes deft little passes that only a Norris winner has the capability of making. Little quick passes that seem to go against the grain or flow of a transition or what's expected of a structured team style. You can tell that a lot of the players he is making these quick little passes to are NOT prepared to receive them yet. I remember one play out of many brilliant ones last night on the half boards in the offensive zone. He pinched in and all of our defencemen would whack at it to try and keep it deep, to continue the cycle. He fakes like he's going to, and slides a beautiful pass into the high slot for I BELIEVE was Devin Shore. Left handed player with his build on our club. He was not expecting it at all and flubbed it.

Our defencemen better be taking notes from this legend. He has slowed down in speed since he joined the league, but his brain is still there. Spectacular playmaking whenever he has the puck on his stick. Always making the right play. He has been a steal.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Haven't seen much of Oilers this year so just wanted to ask how has Keith been for you?

Jones hasn't shown much but to be fair to him he has been injured most of season and did have very good game vs Caps (GWG in OT + assist) so maybe he finally starts to play more and produce more

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Haven't seen much of Oilers this year so just wanted to ask how has Keith been for you?

Jones hasn't shown much but to be fair to him he has been injured most of season and did have very good game vs Caps (GWG in OT + assist) so maybe he finally starts to play more and produce more
He's been a big bag of mediocre and Holland was braindead to not ask the Hawks to take a bigger contract back or retain salary.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Underwhelming and I was POSITIVE about the trade - hoping for old Keith back. Nope.

Still, I prefer playing Keith over the AHL D rookies because I want them to have 1-2 full years in the AHL before making the leap.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Up and down, when he's on he's very good when he's not he's a turnover factory.

Definitely better than Jones though, no doubt about that.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Up and down, but overall a big upgrade on the second pairing and a calming presence more often than not.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
The deal should have been Kieth for Neal or Kieth at 50% for Jones and a 3rd.
Keith at 50% for Jones and Turris

Use the 3rd to get Vanecek, Vladar or Ned (take your pick).

Revisionist history at it's finest!

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I find with Keith... it's almost as overblown as Bear talk.

Keith makes a nice pass and the board lights up about how elite he was!
Keith has a turnover, the other half of the board talk about how awful he is.lol

I will always be very against the trade
I will always hate his cap hit

However, he's done a good job. I said awhile ago that i"m really disapointed that no Keith follower has posted his W-L record...

He is 14-6

That might be the best ratio on the entire team.

Reactions: oilers'72

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Keith at 50% for Jones and Turris

Use the 3rd to get Vanecek, Vladar or Ned (take your pick).

Revisionist history at it's finest!

When the Kieth trade was announced I was saying Holland should have stood his ground and only offered Neal. Kieth was only willing to go to 2 cities so we should have had the advantage in that deal. When you look at other cap dump trades the team that received the dump usually received a 1st for each year remaining on the contract. We took the full dump and gave a pick and prospect.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
When the Kieth trade was announced I was saying Holland should have stood his ground and only offered Neal. Kieth was only willing to go to 2 cities so we should have had the advantage in that deal. When you look at other cap dump trades the team that received the dump usually received a 1st for each year remaining on the contract. We took the full dump and gave a pick and prospect.
I called it a fireable offence!

Holland outbid himself.. he had all the momentum.

It's funny, because if he did fleece them (like he should've)... he'd have a lot more fans right now. It's nice to see Keith doing well but 5.5 mill is a lot and a 3rd pick has value too!

Eveyrone knows the Hawks signed that deal knowing full well he would be poor value in the final 2 years!

Reactions: Aerchon

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Up and down, when he's on he's very good when he's not he's a turnover factory.

Definitely better than Jones though, no doubt about that.

Hey dont look now but Jones has a higher point per game (3 in 10 vs 5 in 20), better goals for % (66% vs 42%) and playing 17 mins a night

But yeah, Keith is definitely better right

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1