Value of: Dumpster Diving / Scrap Heap / Free To A Good Home

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
to good home:

Our "Joffrey" is an occasionally healthy, senior fella who has had all his shots and has been "fixed" numerous times for a host of ailments. As an older boy, he'll help keep the pups in line when not visiting the trainer. Ideally, you'll provide a safe place for him to play as he enters the twilight of his career. He likes regular grooming, and lots of time away from the rest of the pack to lick his many wounds. Joffrey is friendly, outgoing and social-media-savvy.
Adoption fee: 5.25 million for two years.

"Milan" came to us last season. Once a prominent piece in Ottawa, he became a stray when the team moved in a younger direction. He was acquired in a package in exchange for "Dion", an aggressive, larger male who did well at Babcock's obedience school before finding his forever home.
While a bit timid, this senior fella still remembers a few tricks, and with a relatively low one-time adoption fee of just 4 million, he's yours for a box of milk-bones.

We also have a "Jared", who is an extra large breed, but his hip problems make him unsuitable for adoption.

Unfortunately, "Robidas", who has been in our care for a number of years, hasn't responded well to treatment and is scheduled to be euthanized. Donations are gladly accepted, to be redistributed to the NHLPA pension plan.

i like this too...well done

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Drew Stafford from the Jets. A solid middle six winger with an expiring contract, could very well be on the move at the deadline if we're out of the race. Don't see anything else that would be of interest for other teams. Also some of the lesser F prospects, since we have way too much of them.

A little suggestion for the sake of this thread being better: can we not offer cap dumps or other completely unwanted guys like Lupul and Stuart? Instead of them, guys like Lehterä, Desharnais, Prosser etc. are much better for creating discussion and, as the OP said, "find" gems for cheap. (as if it was real life, but good discussion is always welcome I guess)

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ondrej Pavelec, Mark Stuart, Chris Thorburn. I will asterisk this, though, by saying that Jets fans will list these 3, but management may not agree.

Thorburn would be worth having around just for that epic beard at playoff time.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
:habs

Desharnais - skilled veteran forward, small, 1 year left at 3.5M
Matteau - big, young, limited upside, waivers if he doesn't make the team
Flynn - solid depth forward, quick, PKer, all three forward positions, still room to grow
Condon - solid backup, thrown to the wolves as a rookie and survived, cheap ($600K)

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Filppula's sort of on the border of being a cap dump or not. He's overpaid given the amount of offense he's produced recently but he's still a quality defensive 3C and penalty killer. If you have the cap space and are short on center depth you could do worse (you could also do a lot better however.) If you want goal scoring he will frustrate the hell out of you as he pulls up from a perfectly good breakaway opportunity to pass to somebody who isn't in a position to make a play.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
As of a week ago I'd have said you could have Seidenberg for literally one single hockey puck. Now with his buyout, you don't even need to give us a puck. He's actually sitting on the scrap heap currently.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Tanner Glass. He's actually not that bad.

He only looks bad when our imbecile coach gives him regular shifts down 2 goals with 5-10 minutes remaining in the 3rd period of a playoff game.

"He's actually not that bad". Yea right if that was true ever NYR fan would not want to move him.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think I'll update the OP with the names people have suggested. Here scrap heap so far, in no particular order. Some are clearly more valuable than others:

Peter Holland
Tommy Wingels
David Desharnais
Jori Lehtera
Valtteri Filppula
Josh Bailey
Alexei Emelin
Anton Lander
Nik Kulemin
Drew Stafford
Nate Prosser
Jason Pomminville
Matt Hunwick
Mike Condon
Brendan Smith
Luca Sbisa
Matt Stajan
Brandon Manning
Jordan Weal
Ondrej Pavelec
Mark Stuart
Chris Thorburn
Jonathan Bernier
Milan Michalek
Matt Moulson

Any team want to add some of these guys? They are all pretty close to free, give or take a little bit.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Ondrej Pavelec, Mark Stuart, Chris Thorburn. I will asterisk this, though, by saying that Jets fans will list these 3, but management may not agree.

Nah man - those three are more akin to cap dumps - Jets would have to pay someone to take their contracts off the books.

Another poster mentioned Drew Stafford, and I think he's more like what the OP asked for. A still useful player in a top 6 role, who appears to being pushed out of that role by prospects. Jets wouldn't just give him away, but I bet it wouldn't take very much.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Nah man - those three are more akin to cap dumps - Jets would have to pay someone to take their contracts off the books.

Another poster mentioned Drew Stafford, and I think he's more like what the OP asked for. A still useful player in a top 6 role, who appears to being pushed out of that role by prospects. Jets wouldn't just give him away, but I bet it wouldn't take very much.

After the Perreault extension, it looks like he could definitely be on the move now. Not sure how his cap hit will work with most teams though.

A fun fact: Stafford outscored every player from Toronto last year with his 21 goals.

buttman*

After the Perreault extension, it looks like he could definitely be on the move now. Not sure how his cap hit will work with most teams though.

A fun fact: Stafford outscored every player from Toronto last year with his 21 goals.

Fun fact...with all the all-stars in Winnipeg they still can't make the playoffs.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
For Montreal, I'd agree Desharnais, Flynn and some of the other 4th line junk like Matteau.

Disagree on Emelin though. Tough defender who can log minutes in just about any match-up is not a dumpster dive. Habs won't give him away despite what some fans think.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
to good home:

Our "Joffrey" is an occasionally healthy, senior fella who has had all his shots and has been "fixed" numerous times for a host of ailments. As an older boy, he'll help keep the pups in line when not visiting the trainer. Ideally, you'll provide a safe place for him to play as he enters the twilight of his career. He likes regular grooming, and lots of time away from the rest of the pack to lick his many wounds. Joffrey is friendly, outgoing and social-media-savvy.
Adoption fee: 5.25 million for two years.

"Milan" came to us last season. Once a prominent piece in Ottawa, he became a stray when the team moved in a younger direction. He was acquired in a package in exchange for "Dion", an aggressive, larger male who did well at Babcock's obedience school before finding his forever home.
While a bit timid, this senior fella still remembers a few tricks, and with a relatively low one-time adoption fee of just 4 million, he's yours for a box of milk-bones.

We also have a "Jared", who is an extra large breed, but his hip problems make him unsuitable for adoption.

Unfortunately, "Robidas", who has been in our care for a number of years, hasn't responded well to treatment and is scheduled to be euthanized. Donations are gladly accepted, to be redistributed to the NHLPA pension plan.

Looks like "Jared" got put out to pastier already.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
For Montreal, I'd agree Desharnais, Flynn and some of the other 4th line junk like Matteau.

Disagree on Emelin though. Tough defender who can log minutes in just about any match-up is not a dumpster dive. Habs won't give him away despite what some fans think.

Agree.
Only way Emelin gets moved is if we find a pairing for Weber.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I think I'll update the OP with the names people have suggested. Here scrap heap so far, in no particular order. Some are clearly more valuable than others:

Peter Holland
Tommy Wingels
David Desharnais
Jori Lehtera
Valtteri Filppula
Josh Bailey
Alexei Emelin
Anton Lander
Nik Kulemin
Drew Stafford
Nate Prosser
Jason Pomminville
Matt Hunwick
Mike Condon
Brendan Smith
Luca Sbisa
Matt Stajan
Brandon Manning
Jordan Weal
Ondrej Pavelec
Mark Stuart
Chris Thorburn
Jonathan Bernier
Milan Michalek
Matt Moulson

Any team want to add some of these guys? They are all pretty close to free, give or take a little bit.

Some of these players ha a decent trade value and won't be "given away" for free.

Smith
Emelin
Wingels
Stafford
Filppula

To name a few.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Borowiecki. I'm sure Calgary would want him, so Cameron can play him on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Don't worry, he has experience. He played with Turris and Stone for a bit last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad