Value of: Dump Your Salary in Montreal

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'd get creative.

I'd sign a bunch of UFA (under 35) with a weird contract structure.

2018-2019:0.75M
2019-2020:0.75M
2020-2021:6M
2.5M cap hit

We wont be competitive until 2020.

I'd buy them out after year 2.

We would get a 1.5M credit per player for 2020-2021 season to spend more.

Do you want sanctions for cap circumvention? Because that's how you get sanctioned for cap circumvention!

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Zaitsev isn't our bad contract. Its Horton. Leafs should be moving heaven and earth to get rid of Horton.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Well, now that you've put it that way...I guess we could take him off your hands for Matthews. ;)
I'd give any of Leivo, Carrick, Bracco, Borgman and a pick to get rid of him. Any combination of those players would do wonders for the leafs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Horton (able to be LTR but contract is uninsured)

What would the cost *really* be for that?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
With Weber not returning till mid December and likely needing conditioning time, Petry is not going anywhere. If Weber returns in fine form and is the same Weber, We can talk a Petry trade before the deadline. However, we are getting a return that makes sense for the Habs, not the Leafs. The price? A 1st and a grade A prospect. Petry is a big body with mobility and some goal scoring ability. He does a lot of things well and his contract is very good for 3 more years.

I can see why you are interested. I also agree he would fit well on the Leafs. However, It sucks that you will have to trade futures to get him.

Think about this? How is this really going to work out.
Has to try to be a win-win. Trades aren't made like this...and we're dealing with Bergevin.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
His contract is way too long to consider retaining 3M, that mean wich ever goaltender we sign in the next few years would be +3M you, the price you would pay better be alot
Not many teams would be interested and have the cap space for Price. I would take a 1st, prospect and 3 years max contract dump for Price and move on. Please do not retain for 8 years unless its for 500K.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
His contract is way too long to consider retaining 3M, that mean wich ever goaltender we sign in the next few years would be +3M you, the price you would pay better be alot

$2.5 million doable if we add a sweetener? Cap is going up by a bit in the next 3-5years.

Price is a great contract at 7.5.

For 2 million? I don't think it's a big deal.

Ya I'd do 2 million but add to get it to $8million final.

Not many teams would be interested and have the cap space for Price. I would take a 1st, prospect and 3 years max contract dump for Price and move on. Please do not retain for 8 years unless its for 500K.

I'd gladly give a 2019 1st, Heponiemi + Reimer + McGinn.
Add a 2020 2nd + Petrovic or McCoshen to add some more retention.

Just to see Luongo back up Price and hopefully get a ring for Lu before he retires.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
$2.5 million doable if we add a sweetener? Cap is going up by a bit in the next 3-5years.

Ya I'd do 2 million but add to get it to $8million final.

I'd gladly give a 2019 1st, Heponiemi + Reimer + McGinn.
Add a 2020 2nd + Petrovic or McCoshen to add some more retention.

Just to see Luongo back up Price and hopefully get a ring for Lu before he retires.

I can live with a mil retained for Price(9.5).
Heponiemi, Reimer, McGinn, McCoshen and 2019 1st for Price.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
With a season that already looked to be in the tank, it now seems inevitable that the Habs will be prime candidates for a lottery spot.

With a projected 12 Mil in cap space from capgeek and nothing to spend it on this season and potentially next because no one wants to play here, are there any teams that would be interested in dumping salary + assets (picks/prospects) in order to free up some space? And if so what would those deals look like?

Is someone like Ryan Callahan a player Tampa would like to move to free up space and what would they potentially move in a deal that would include him?

Is something like Callahan + 3rd in 2019 + Mitchell Stephens ridiculous? Or would Tampa be able to unload Callahan and pick up assets for themselves?

Callahan almost certainly has Montreal on his no-trade list. In any event unless we’re getting Karlsson we don’t need to move Cally this season and possibly not even next season. Most likely we’ll keep him this year and trade him to somebody like Buffalo next year.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Price
Byron

For

Reimer
Matheson - offset Price’s 8yrs with his 8yrs.
McGinn
1st round pick

This season the salary would be even at around 11million.

Next year Reimer’s and Matheson’s contracts would still keep it at 8.22 off the books to help lessen Price’s salary.

I think with Florida’s offense and decent defense, with a great goalie they could really do some damage.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad