Value of: Dump Your Salary in Montreal

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
With a season that already looked to be in the tank, it now seems inevitable that the Habs will be prime candidates for a lottery spot.

With a projected 12 Mil in cap space from capgeek and nothing to spend it on this season and potentially next because no one wants to play here, are there any teams that would be interested in dumping salary + assets (picks/prospects) in order to free up some space? And if so what would those deals look like?

Is someone like Ryan Callahan a player Tampa would like to move to free up space and what would they potentially move in a deal that would include him?

Is something like Callahan + 3rd in 2019 + Mitchell Stephens ridiculous? Or would Tampa be able to unload Callahan and pick up assets for themselves?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs don't have any....but give us Petry anyways....

With Weber not returning till mid December and likely needing conditioning time, Petry is not going anywhere. If Weber returns in fine form and is the same Weber, We can talk a Petry trade before the deadline. However, we are getting a return that makes sense for the Habs, not the Leafs. The price? A 1st and a grade A prospect. Petry is a big body with mobility and some goal scoring ability. He does a lot of things well and his contract is very good for 3 more years.

I can see why you are interested. I also agree he would fit well on the Leafs. However, It sucks that you will have to trade futures to get him.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs don't have any....but give us Petry anyways....

For Marner?

For the first time in forever you guys have no truly bad contracts. Zaitsev maybe but its only 4 million. Only one that may bite is Marleau next year but its only 1 year. Definitely nothing LT and bad.

Reactions: 666

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
I wonder what montreal would want to take on the rest of hortons contract. Bracco+2nd plus something else?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
With Weber not returning till mid December and likely needing conditioning time, Petry is not going anywhere. If Weber returns in fine form and is the same Weber, We can talk a Petry trade before the deadline. However, we are getting a return that makes sense for the Habs, not the Leafs. The price? A 1st and a grade A prospect. Petry is a big body with mobility and some goal scoring ability. He does a lot of things well and his contract is very good for 3 more years.

I can see why you are interested. I also agree he would fit well on the Leafs. However, It sucks that you will have to trade futures to get him.
Screw that, trade him anyway and lets just tank properly.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Lets see....Canes will give you Rask and Darling and ?PICKS? for Price. Whats that gonna cost us in picks (I'm giggling laughing at the answer to this).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Screw that, trade him anyway and lets just tank properly.

We need some leadership and a bridge to Juulsen, Fleury, Brook. That's either Weber or Petry. However, if the deal was too good to refuse, I would consider it. I also support the tank but we can't trade everybody. There is a measure of icing an NHL roster and still trying to tank but putting people in the seats should not be overlooked.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
We need some leadership and a bridge to Juulsen, Fleury, Brook. That's either Weber or Petry. However, if the deal was too good to refuse, I would consider it. I also support the tank but we can't trade everybody. There is a measure of icing an NHL roster and still trying to tank but putting people in the seats should not be overlooked.
We have Pleks and Alzner :naughty:

Berglund with Alex Nylander for Andrew Shaw (C/RW)
Done deal for me.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
For Marner?

For the first time in forever you guys have no truly bad contracts. Zaitsev maybe but its only 4 million. Only one that may bite is Marleau next year but its only 1 year. Definitely nothing LT and bad.
Marleau makes around 4 million next year because of the way his contract was structured. He made over 8 million last season and 6 this coming one

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The roster looks bad enough they shouldn't have to try and tank. I'm fully against teams "tanking", but I see Montreal being a lottery team while trying to compete.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Send Spezza to Montreal with Jason Robertson (if Spezza doesn't want to play in Montreal we can immediately flip him with 50% cap retained to wherever he wants to go) and Hossa to Montreal with Ryan Shea and Chad Krys with some picks (Blackhawks ain't giving up Jokiharju, Bosqvist or Beaudin so I'm not gonna try. Give us the other D) and I think that's fine.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
The roster looks bad enough they shouldn't have to try and tank. I'm fully against teams "tanking", but I see Montreal being a lottery team while trying to compete.

It was already going to be tough with a healthy Weber. If Price is healthy he technically should make you a marginal 8/9/10 seed team, but without Weber for a quarter of the season it makes it that much harder. It's not really a tank until they start holding players back and selling off the Shaw's and Pacioretty's but it is pretty much a lost season anyways. Might as well as use that empty cap space and rent it out to teams that want to add.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
I think the goal is not necessarily about getting the best deal you can... it should be about accumulating as many assets as possible, whether it is picks or prospects that fit into the plan/identity that you are trying to implement. Basically the more the better and hopefully something eventually sticks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad