GDT: Duel between Calgary Flamberges vs Buffalo Sabres

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This... would be the lone tolerable scenario where Bennett plays wing.

But you'd have serious issues with the checking line as Monahan can't handle that role as a center and I don't think Neal can play that role with Backlund and you obviously don't want Neal on the fourth line. That's why no matter how hard I try the lines I keep ending up on are

Gaudreau-Bennett-Neal or Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal
Tkachuk-Bennett-Czarnik or Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik
Frolik-Backlund-Monahan or Dube-Backlund-Monahan

Monahan >≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>≥≥>>≥>>>>>>>≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bennett

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
With the PP, I find it pretty comical and absurd how two games in a row now, there have been moments where the whole thing just grinds to a halt. Lindholm gets the puck on the right wing, looks around, realizes that he has four LHSs to pass to, and just kind of stands there, stick-handling and trying to figure something out. If it wasn't frustrating, it would honestly be pretty amusing. If the defence didn't eventually pressure him, I'm pretty sure he'd just get stuck like that all night.

The coaching staff needs to figure out a way to run the PP that can't possibly result in that situation. If Lindholm is going to be positioned on the right wing on the PP, there needs to be a plan for what to do when he gets the puck and the defence back off of him. If the defence knows there isn't a single one-time option available, it changes the way they defend.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Grats on the great seats. Buffalo might not have to cheap seats around much longer if they continue to make strides.
Surprisingly it wasn't very packed in there. Lots of empty seats.
Had a blast tonight, Hutton played really well I didn't think we were going to get one by him. I'm trying to find myself jumping when Tkachuk scored. Haven't found the correct angle yet.

Reactions: SKRusty

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Backlund looks so off, really feels like it has to be an injury. He's usually so consistent. Just looks gassed half the time.

Bennett didn't have the greatest game but I like that he's out there making things happen. Him and Neal have some decent chemistry, and also zero f***ing luck between the both of them. Wonder if it is time to give Sam another shot at center between Neal and Tkachuk and shift some of the responsibilities off Backs for a bit.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal
Dube/Jankowski-Backlund-Czarnik
Frolik-Ryan-Hathaway

Sit one of Dube or Jankowski and get Czarnik back in, don't really understand why he's out.

Stating the obvious here but I am loving Andersson and Rittich's games so far this year. Rittich looks much more composed and controlled, seems to be very focused and tracking the puck incredibly well. Hope to see him get around 30 games this year, maybe even more. Andersson is seriously blossoming into a quality top 4 dman right before our eyes, his improvement game to game is incredible. Don't mean to put unfair expectations on the kid but I see all the makings of a top pairing dman, breaks up the cycle, avoids the forecheck, stands his ground at both bluelines, and makes great passes up the ice. Just want to see that snapper a bit more often.

Reactions: Hemsky001

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
As for the net, with Smith becoming a free agent I think the best scenario has to be getting Rittich play 30-40 games and have him slowly develop into a starter.

Right now Rittich is doing a really good job not letting pucks get through his arms or legs, and not getting too out of position in case of any deflections. They have to ride his calmness as much as they can and develop him into a starting goaltender.

Reactions: Hemsky001

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I thought we controlled the game; Sabres still have a ways to go...……….team has tightened up defensively for sure; the current 6 man group has a ton of potential. Brodie was solid, no brain farts. Hanifin can sure dangle along the blue line, nice to see. Once Andersson and Valimaki get even more experience we got a great D group. Need some O from the 3rd and 4th lines though. I agree Czarnik needs to draw in. Backlund has got to have a nagging injury.

Reactions: jBuds

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Jank needs to come out for czanik

He and Bennett are not a good combo

Backlund is laboring huge right now. His passes and shots have nothing on them and he is really struggling in the circle. Whatever the injury he is suffering from should be given some time to heal. The end of the season is a long way away and it might be in the best interest of the club to sit him a game or two to heal.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I was very impressed with Dube last night. I agree that Backs is laboring somewhat, but he has been drawing tough assignments. I'd be ok with giving Benny or Dube a crack at centering Tkachuk and Neal.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I cannot understand why we are making Tkachuk play with Backlund and Frolik. The guy imo next to Gaudreau is the next best playmaker on the team. Give him someone that can put the puck in the net! Why not try Dube center in between Neal and Tkachuk? Could be great line imo. Tired of Mike Smith tbh. Everytime he plays he looks like Kelly Hrudey in there. Flailing around does not install confidence. I really like Rittich going forward as he looks clam and collected in net.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I’d like to see Tkachuk get an opportunity at creating a bit more offense 5v5. I also think he’s the perfect guy to help get Neal going. Plus I think you can still run a decent shutdown line if you use

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
or
Bennett/Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Depending on who you want centering Tkachuk and Neal on line 2

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I cannot understand why we are making Tkachuk play with Backlund and Frolik. The guy imo next to Gaudreau is the next best playmaker on the team. Give him someone that can put the puck in the net! Why not try Dube center in between Neal and Tkachuk? Could be great line imo. Tired of Mike Smith tbh. Everytime he plays he looks like Kelly Hrudey in there. Flailing around does not install confidence. I really like Rittich going forward as he looks clam and collected in net.
Are we talking about the same Dube who has zero goals and the same Neal who has two goals and has been completely invisible all season? Until Neal starts looking, uh, not useless, I don't think there's any reason to bump him up the lineup (unless it's by virtue of an in-game line blender). And with Dube there's a good chance he doesn't surpass Backlund and Frolik offensively when he peaks, much less in his rookie season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good game.
Love me some Rasmus Andersson. Smarts for days. This game doesn't go to OT without him making two saves at the blueline.

Lindy, Chucky and Benny had good games. I'm thinking the Flames are in good hands for the net decade on both the forward and backend.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Good to see Neal getting moved up, I get he hasn't produced, but he needs to stay on the PP and 2nd line until they can gel. This team competed hard last night and pulled out a win in what should have been a landslide victory for them. If it wasn't for Hutton, we'd be basking in some pretty well deserved glory today. Calgary is starting to look strong, and I think we can expect even more as players acclimatize.

Valimaki looked a little overwhelmed last night but he was able to make up for his mistakes. Andersson at this point is a lineup lock until further notice. A lot of young guys are only going to get better, too bad Bennett seems to be the same old. He played well last night though and actually made a couple of smart passes. There is still hope for him for sure.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I was able to watch both games, I really like how Bennett has played. Lindholm is good, Gio is great. Välimäki and Andersson look surprisingly good together. And Tkachuk is great of course.

I guess the firesale is canceled now?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I was able to watch both games, I really like how Bennett has played. Lindholm is good, Gio is great. Välimäki and Andersson look surprisingly good together. And Tkachuk is great of course.

I guess the firesale is canceled now?

Until we lose another game anyway

Reactions: Meowmix
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Great past few games. Maybe the blow out was needed to get everyone going for a while. We also ran into 2 hot goalies, as both Andersen and Hutton played really well.. and really these games should've been more lopsided, as the Sabres didn't seem to generate too many high quality chances.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A solution for Neal is to staple him beside Backlund and Tkachuk for the next few games.
Those guys produce regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad