Confirmed with Link: Duclair/J. Moore/1st (2016)/2nd (2015) for Yandle (50% Retained), Summers/4th- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Which is why you pair him up with a guy like Staalsy who can cover for him.

Staal or Klein will work just fine. Klein especially plays a very simple but effective game, and with Yandle-Klein able to play more than 14-15 minutes a game, as well as no longer needing to double shift Klein up to Staal's pairing allows Boyle to get comfortable with Staal.

McD-G
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein
Hunwick

Thats it right there

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We have the luxury of being able to shelter him if we want. Arizona couldn't do that. Here he could be on a pair with Boyle and be incredibly sheltered or get balanced time playing with Klein. Regardless I expect his +/- to improve a lot.

There aren't many D-men I'd take over OEL and even he's -19.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Just to set expectations:

Yandle's rank in PP TOI = 2nd in the NHL with 278:29 (4:35/game).

In comparison Dan Boyle is the NYR leader at 131:08 (2:58 / game).

Yandle has 26 PPP (63% of his scoring, 0.094 PPP / min). Boyle has 7 PPP (47% of his scoring, 0.053 PPP / min).

My point is - the gaudy numbers are in large part driven by volume. I expect his PP TOI will decrease with the NYR. I expect his production will dip. Though he is still a much better PP QB than Boyle at this point.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Staal or Klein will work just fine. Klein especially plays a very simple but effective game, and with Yandle-Klein able to play more than 14-15 minutes a game, as well as no longer needing to double shift Klein up to Staal's pairing allows Boyle to get comfortable with Staal.

McD-G
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein
Hunwick

Thats it right there

That works.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Duclair and Domi in Arizona will be interesting .

Yandle resigns and I'm good w it long term. He's 28

My friend said he had attitude issues. Is their any truth to that?

Absolutely not. Unless you have a deep-seated loathing of everything that comes from Boston. Yands was a class-act professional with the Yotes.

Plus he was absolutely the team's best comedian. His casual jabs at OEL's underwear modeling career were exceptional.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Which is why you pair him up with a guy like Staalsy who can cover for him.

They are both LHD, which I'm sure AV is not too fond of.

I would like to see him with Girardi and out against other bottom 6 lines. McDonagh and Boyle and Staal and Klein work out as the other pairings.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Yandle has 26 PPP (63% of his scoring, 0.094 PPP / min). Boyle has 7 PPP (47% of his scoring, 0.053 PPP / min).

My point is - the gaudy numbers are in large part driven by volume. I expect his PP TOI will decrease with the NYR. I expect his production will dip. Though he is still a much better PP QB than Boyle at this point.

He'll now also play with better finishers. I don't expect him to set career highs. He'll be what he is, a 50 point D-man.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
From what I heard he never had any. Throughout everything that happened with the Coyotes he always seemed grateful to be there and showed respect to the players and management. I mean, I don't know him personally, but this is what I hear from some of my buddies who are die hard Coyotes fans. He was an absolute favorite.

In the Summer of 2011, both Yandle and Kyle Turris were RFAs. Yotes were just swept out of the playoffs by the Red Wings in 4 games, were dangerously close to relocating to Winnipeg, and were still reeling from watching the Matthew Hulsizer ownership bid implode.

Our 3rd overall pick from 2007 had some bumps in his development and was consigned to bottom 6 duty. But he had a good series against Detroit and had a clear path to becoming a Top 6 regular in short order. He then proceeded to hold out for a richer contract and then dogged it on the ice, forcing a trade which was eventually granted.

In marked contrast, our mostly unheralded 4th round pick from 2005 was fresh off a 59 point breakout season and a Top 5 finish in Norris Trophy voting. He definitely had leverage to play hard ball with management. Instead, he extended to a pretty team friendly 5.25M/year contract and became an assistant captain. Certainly showed he could lead the team in Doan's absence on the ice.

Yandle was a loyal Coyote through to the end. I hope he wins the Grail with New York. And I'd expect him to flourish playing with legit top line talent for the first time in his career (Nash, MSL) as well as a pretty solid, balanced blueline.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Yandle is only 28, is signed through next season, and the Rangers have him at 50 percent of his cap hit. It's not as though the Rangers are acquiring someone who is over the hill. Yandle is -32 this season, but that's largely a product of being on a bad team prior to the trade (their best D-man prior to the trade in +/- was Zbynek Michaelek at -6), and he at least has a better game than John Moore. Might Ryan McDonagh be demoted to the second pair as a result?

If Yandle is paired with Kevin Klein, other teams need to watch out.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Over Kreider and Hayes?

Hayes is RFA right? Or is it different since he was an UDFA?

Kreider is another story, but you know he's a priority for this team. If you ask me, Kelin goes before Kreider gets squeezed. Hopefully we get him real long term buy up UFA years, and keep the price doable. I think Kreider takes off later than his deal runs out.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They are both LHD, which I'm sure AV is not too fond of.

I would like to see him with Girardi and out against other bottom 6 lines. McDonagh and Boyle and Staal and Klein work out as the other pairings.

Staal and Klein need to be separated IMO.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Kreider is another story, but you know he's a priority for this team. If you ask me, Kelin goes before Kreider gets squeezed. Hopefully we get him real long term buy up UFA years, and keep the price doable. I think Kreider takes off later than his deal runs out.

Still RFA.

Kreider is a top priority IMO.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Klein absolutely stays. if anything they will look to move Girardi at that point... it's absolutely possible that some times that are still up and coming are on the up swing where Girardi might be interested in moving to...

This will not happen this season or during next season, but I see strong reasoning for Girardi to move the year his Full NTC expires

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Synergy27 said:
I disagree. The 1994 team was OLD, and I'm having trouble remembering specific names but the prospect cupboard behind Amonte was completely bare in my recollection.

The top prospect at the time was Niklas Sundstrom, who was pimped as the next Jari Kurri. He wasn't, just another third liner.

We also were told that twins Peter and Chris Ferraro will be great NHLers. There was also great hope for Barry Richter (no relation) and Joby Messier (first cousin). Lee Sorochan and Max Galanov were two more great defensive prospects. Corey Hisch was Richter's heir apparent, but then was given away for Nathan LaFayette when it became clear he too will bust.

That's 7 prospects that anyone even cared about at the time, all the remaining ones were known to be crap. Of these, only Sundstram had a career, and an unspectacular one at that.

We then drafted Cloutier. Neil Smith loved him. He had a trade of our last overall first rounder for a pair of second rounders until he realized Cloutier was available, and he cancelled the trade. (He talked about it himself on WFAN.) In 1995 we dealt away our first rounder for Pat Verbeek. In the second round we drafted Dube, who probably would've had a great career at any era other than the intra-lockout clutch-and-grab period. He dominated the QMJHL, but couldn't stick with the Rangers. He then decided to go to Switzerland (where he went to high school) for one year. He's been playing there to this day.

In 1996 we drafted Jeff Brown in the first round, whom Neil Smith declared a sure-fire top-4 NHL defenseman. He became a UHLer. Smith also declared in 1997 that the Rangers got a pair of first round talents in Wes Jarvis and Burke Henry. Both spectacular busts. We drafted a really good kid in Stefan Cherneski who had a knack for scoring (and was named the top student in Western Canada). He was the last one to be cut and was supposed to come back very quickly, but his knee got shattered into dozens of little pieces while he was on his AHL stint.

So we had very few prospects before 1994 and followed that up with terrible drafting, combined with trading away youth like Norstrom, Zubov and Nedved.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
It'd be really nice to sign MSL to a cheap 1 year deal as a buffer to Buch's transition into the roster. It'd be a lot to expect for him to play quality top-9 minutes right away.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Still RFA.

Kreider is a top priority IMO.

I think brass is banking on McI and Skjei to fill in cheap for Boyle and eventually Klein. Buch comes in for MSL. Skapski for Talbot. Plus hoping the cap rises. I don't think it'll be a huge problem.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
It'd be really nice to sign MSL to a cheap 1 year deal as a buffer to Buch's transition into the roster. It'd be a lot to expect for him to play quality top-9 minutes right away.

I totally agree, we can't expect Buchnevich to immediately jump into a top 9 role.. Hell we couldn't have expected that with Duclair either IMO

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I think with this move, Boyle's TOI drops to 1:30 per game and Yandle's numbers stay VERY close to that same 4:35 (probably around 4:00)

Yandle is what Boyle USED to be.

I think his numbers are going to be about the same.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
There aren't many D-men I'd take over OEL and even he's -19.

That and the only player on the NYR roster who is a minus is Glass. Theres no way that -23 is indicative of his play or what he will be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad