Confirmed with Link: Duclair/J. Moore/1st (2016)/2nd (2015) for Yandle (50% Retained), Summers/4th- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Crazy day for sure! I know yandle is agreat offensive threat but i am slightly concerned about his defense. Ive heard mixed reviews. The few times ive seen him though ive been impressed

Even if he's the same defensively as John Moore, we still just got a massive upgrade on our D corps. He just needs a steady partner. I'm sure AV will find him someone.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
In the 2016 offseason when Yan Yandle's contract expires, these contracts also expire:

MSL
Boyle
Kreider
Hayes
D. Moore

My guess is:

Boyle Retires -- Frees up $4.5M
MSL Retires -- Frees up his upcoming contract renewal, probably $2M
Kreider gets a raise -- goes from $2.475M to about $3.75M
Hayes gets a raise -- goes from $925k to $2.75M
D. Moore takes a paycut -- Accepts $1M to play on the 4th line

The real concern is what happens with Hagelin. if he gets a cap crunched deal at $2.8M this upcoming offseason for one season, then he's a UFA in this same season. If we're looking to give him $3.5M, then someone else will have to be cut unless the cap hits $75M at that point (which is entirely possible).

It's really going to depend on what happens with McIlrath and Skjei. If they can come in and take the spots for Boyle and Girardi, then we're good to go. Find us another cheap Hunwick and go from there

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This will either be 1994 or 1996, depending on whether we win the Cup. If we will, all the youth and picks we gave up for St. Louis and Yandle won't matter. Otherwise, all Ranger fans will hate Slats for decades to come.

At this point Slats might as well make another youth-for-age trade to shore up the team even more. If you are going all in, no need to save the last $5.

There will quite few that wont IMO. Myself included. If we fail to win the Cup then so be it. There's one thing worse than going on all in and failing. It's standing pat when you are on the cusp on winning.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Let's not go overboard with the Leetch replacement stuff. I doubt Yandle will be putting up 70+ point seasons any time soon.

The only defenseman capable of putting up 70+ points in today's NHL is Erik Karlsson. Yandle is still a top 5 offensive defenseman.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Honestly, keeping Yandle should be paramount. We've wiffed way too many times on Leetch's replacement. Fitting him in might be tough, but I would be willing to part with Girardi in order to make room. Get back some picks and prospects to make up for the dosh spent to get Yandle.
I don't know...it seems like this team is built to go hard for the Cup for two years now. After that it seems like the next wave of prospects will be expected to step in (including Skjei, Yandle's likely replacement).

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Over Kreider and Hayes?

I don't think he means our #1 priority. But he is up there. Yandle should be a guy we look to extend. He's not just one of the best offensive D-men in the league, but he's a character guy with leadership. He was adored by everyone in Arizona.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yandle is 10th among league defensemen in points.

He was 2nd on my list of gets to SHattenkirk, but I'll take him.

On a team that struggles to score. Only Buffalo has a worse offense.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Duclair and Domi in Arizona will be interesting .

Yandle resigns and I'm good w it long term. He's 28

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I don't think he means our #1 priority. But he is up there. Yandle should be a guy we look to extend. He's not just one of the best offensive D-men in the league, but he's a character guy with leadership. He was adored by everyone in Arizona.

My friend said he had attitude issues. Is their any truth to that?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't know...it seems like this team is built to go hard for the Cup for two years now. After that it seems like the next wave of prospects will be expected to step in (including Skjei, Yandle's likely replacement).

I think by that point they will look to move Girardi, and someone will need to step in to replace Boyle anyway.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
My friend said he had attitude issues. Is their any truth to that?

From what I heard he never had any. Throughout everything that happened with the Coyotes he always seemed grateful to be there and showed respect to the players and management. I mean, I don't know him personally, but this is what I hear from some of my buddies who are die hard Coyotes fans. He was an absolute favorite.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC

Skjei and Yandle are different types of defenseman. Skjei is a smooth skating defensive defenseman. He's going to be a good one, but he can't replace what Yandle brings.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I disagree. The 1994 team was OLD, and I'm having trouble remembering specific names but the prospect cupboard behind Amonte was completely bare in my recollection.

This current squad is still very young outside wrt most of the key positions, and the prospect that was traded today was, in my estimation, redundant given the presence of Buchnevich. I don't see the parallel at all, but perhaps I'm being too optimistic.
Amonte was the Rangers' best, and all but last prospect at the time. I can't even recall anyone else who was exciting enough to mention. The Rangers went for it hard, but it wasn't just prospects they traded. They traded established, skilled players like James Patrick, Darren Turcotte and Mike Gartner for players with sandpaper in their game. Granted, the Patrick/Turcotte-Larmer trade also brought back a highly skilled player, but he was closer to retirement and didn't have the wheels and gamebreaking ability of Gartner.

Anyway, there was no equivalent to Buchnevich and Skjei in the system. Maybe Mattias Norstrom? (I still shudder at that trade, and watching the Kings play for years and years afterwards...)

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Absolutely not. Unless you have a deep-seated loathing of everything that comes from Boston. Yands was a class-act professional with the Yotes.

From what I heard he never had any. Throughout everything that happened with the Coyotes he always seemed grateful to be there and showed respect to the players and management. I mean, I don't know him personally, but this is what I hear from some of my buddies who are die hard Coyotes fans. He was an absolute favorite.

Everything I've read was that he's a class a act and a good team mate.

Thanks guys...guess he's just a bitter Devils fan. Anyway I look forward yo Yandle and wish Duclair the best of luck.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yandle.0.png

Great offensively, meh defensively, good player overall.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
We have the luxury of being able to shelter him if we want. Arizona couldn't do that. Here he could be on a pair with Boyle and be incredibly sheltered or get balanced time playing with Klein. Regardless I expect his +/- to improve a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad