Confirmed with Link: Duclair/Clendening to Chicago for Panik/Dauphin

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Most times exceptional players don't have an attitude or work ethic problem, but I guess they are given some slack when they have an off game or two.
I think of guys like Kessel, don't train hard, doesn't practise hard, has been known to float, but scores 30 pretty much every year. Coaches tend to give him the benefit of the doubt even though he drives them nuts!!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So here we are 14 games since the trade.

Duclair in CHI - 2g 3a 19shots 14 hits

Panik in AZ - 0g, 4a 28shots 24 hits

So much for the "he is going to totally breakout in CHI and we were dumb to trade him." talk Duclair is actually performing worse on a per game basis than he did here.

15pts in 33 games in AZ. 5pts in 14 games in CHI
And Duke had some first line and PP minutes too with a better team. Panik hasn't been a world beater, obviously healthy scratched too but he is the better all around player.

Reactions: Pomee

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Duclair is very meh

I am happy to be rid of Panik and his contract at end of day but don't see anything about Duclair that would warrant a pay raise on next contract

At this point if he asks for anything like 2M per then Hawks should walk away

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Duclair is very meh

I am happy to be rid of Panik and his contract at end of day but don't see anything about Duclair that would warrant a pay raise on next contract

At this point if he asks for anything like 2M per then Hawks should walk away

he'll have a breakout game where you'll think he deserves that kind of money for a second, then kind of go back to being meh again. I hope he figures it out, seems like a good kid.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He had a few good games to start for Hawks and then has faded

He is very fast and flies into the offensive zone only to circle about like he has no clue what he is supposed to do. And his play away from puck is hit or miss

Sometimes he looks engaged and other times he just floats out there

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

He is very fast and flies into the offensive zone only to circle about like he has no clue what he is supposed to do. And his play away from puck is hit or miss

Kind of similar to what he did here. Bummer, i still have some hope for him, maybe he'll turn it around.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

That's exactly what he did here, and from what I understand it's what he did in New York.

He'll fool you, though, every couple of games. He'll go out and be entertainingly engaged, finishing checks, showing blazing speed, scoring mesmerizing goals. But it's almost as if you can see a switch flip off, like an amnesiac who suddenly remembers his name, and he'll just... disappear. So aggravating.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
It's a win-win for the Hawks. They had a low risk high reward player in Duke, which they did not get a return on. They unloaded Panik's salary though which is not insignificant in their situation.

One of those rare win-win trades if you ask me, but it was a potato salad deal with a bunch of things and factors mixed in.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
So many vocal critics of this trade....hard to admit you were wrong when your mouth is full of crow I guess....

No problem admitting I was wrong, in fact I'm ecstatic I was wrong! But boy at the time it seemed bad. Giving up on a kid that was a key piece of the Yandle trade. A kid who had a great relationship and on ice chemistry with fan favorite Domi. Someone who seemingly never really got a shot after an explosive rookie season. Moving him for Richard Panik was very underwhelming to say the least. If you saw how all of this would play out, will you please let me know where to invest my money, because you clearly can see into the future.

Also, what was the point of your post?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you saw how all of this would play out, will you please let me know where to invest my money, because you clearly can see into the future.

My prognosticating abilities only extend to hockey forums, not to the financial markets... :D

I figured Duke would crater in Chicago but I was totally blindsided by them not bothering to qualify him. I think he's still got enough raw talent for some other NHL team to take a flyer on him this coming season, though.

Reactions: Grimes

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Panik has been great. Team improved with him.

About Duke: must say Chicago-fans points out he has arb-rights. Meaning, if they gave him a QO, and he dragged them to arbitration- and that would be a good guess- they would be stuck with him up to 4 mill.

Which they couldn't afford, cap-wise, but cap space is not an argument in arbitration!

So the fact they didn't qualify him might not mean totally as much as it seems.

Reactions: iSophagus

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I figured Duke would crater in Chicago but I was totally blindsided by them not bothering to qualify him. I think he's still got enough raw talent for some other NHL team to take a flyer on him this coming season, though.

Marchand injured him not long after the trade, he didn't really have a chance to show much. I still believe he can be a scoring winger in the league under the right coach with decent linemates. Someone will take a flyer on him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
GAR:
Zucker +6.4
Duclair +2.7
Kessel -7.4

G/60 (400min) NHL Rank:
Duclair - #1 (yes, abvove Marchand, Vrana, Burakovsky)
Zucker - #67
Kessel - #231 (only 6 players are worse)

P/60 (400min) NHL Rank:
Duclair - #26
Zucker - #73
Kessel - #222

Bonus: Stepan 2nd worst in the league at #236, only ahead of Lucic

These are just numbers. Any narrative and associated feelings you draw from them are your own.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC96

cobra427

May 6, 2012
GAR:
Zucker +6.4
Duclair +2.7
Kessel -7.4

G/60 (400min) NHL Rank:
Zucker - #67

P/60 (400min) NHL Rank:
Duclair - #26
Zucker - #73
Kessel - #222

These are just numbers. Any narrative and associated feelings you draw from them are your own.
Great example of why not to rely on fancy stats to draw conclusions on individual players.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Very fun to read through this thread. What a roller coaster this team and this player have been on.
I think we’d all be more upset on missing out n Duclair had 2 other organizations not run away from him as quickly as possible and Torts hadn’t gone on his famous public rant about Duclair’s play. If Duclair was playing this year in the KHL instead of the NHL I for one wouldn’t have been surprised. I hope he lands a big $ long term contract with an organization that I don’t like.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
GAR:
Zucker +6.4
Duclair +2.7
Kessel -7.4

G/60 (400min) NHL Rank:
Zucker - #67

P/60 (400min) NHL Rank:
Duclair - #26
Zucker - #73
Kessel - #222

You are comparing theses players playing 400 min. this year. Players have good and bad years, so what happens if you compare last year to this year with these same players?

Reactions: MIG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad