Ducks unveil reverse retro jersey

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
can't believe so many of you hate the new retro sweater

i think it's awesome and a matter of time before they actually listen to the fans and ditch the boring black/orange to bring back the old logo and colors
Have you seen it in person? if you haven't I don't think its fair to say this. It's literally horrible, I liked it at release then saw it. I wouldn't pay 50 for it and I have over 20 jerseys.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
We’ve been saying it’s a matter of time for at least a decade.

I don’t think it’s happening under the Samueli’s watch. They are still committed to creating their “own identity” for the team post-Disney. Doing these 3rd jersey and anniversary retro looks is simply a way to appease people and sell additional jerseys.

It’s idiotic but it’s their team

I don't think you ever see a full on reversal but I do think it's inevitable until the logo changes back. They considered keeping it in 2006 to begin with and its been featured more and more heavily for some time now. As biased as they might be they do seem to realize the current logo isn't thought of much and the former is the most beloved logo in sports.

Apparently this reverse retro is one of the better selling ones and the 25th anniversary jersey literally crashed the leagues online shop. If they sold the old jerseys I think they know it would sell even better. They're quite stubborn and biased but at some point they're gonna realize that they can't keep fighting it anymore. I'm guessing the next design for sure features the MD logo and brings back at least one of the colors.

Reactions: Sam Steel

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
We'll honestly make our current third our primary and have a white away version. This will slowly get the fans used to the mighty ducks logo more. The ownership will then hear the same thing we're saying now which is we like the logo and not the colors, then hopefully they switch full time back to the OG 93 mighty ducks jerseys. It would bring them to top 5 in the league for logos/sweaters instantly. Also imagine the sales and fan growth from younger generations. It's gotta happen at some point.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
We'll honestly make our current third our primary and have a white away version. This will slowly get the fans used to the mighty ducks logo more. The ownership will then hear the same thing we're saying now which is we like the logo and not the colors, then hopefully they switch full time back to the OG 93 mighty ducks jerseys. It would bring them to top 5 in the league for logos/sweaters instantly. Also imagine the sales and fan growth from younger generations. It's gotta happen at some point.

I'm not sure about that, I kinda doubt it to be honest. They way they've treated this third jersey isn't anywhere near the prominence they've treated the last, where a transition was obvious and made sense. Black and especially gold(closer to tan now) are things Burke wanted and I don't think there's much attachment to them. Orange is the only safe bet to stay IMO.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This thing is so bad, my friend bought one the jersey is basically see through... Looks like total shit :laugh:

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
While I somewhat like our ReverseRetro design and also ordered one through NHL.com's shop, I felt I could do better ReverseRetro designs based on our glorious old uniforms.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present a ReverseRetro tandem of home and away uniforms based on our inaugural concepts:
reverseretro_concept-i2jte.jpg

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
For those wondering why this jersey was needed to be brought back or even accepted:

Definitely not why it "needed" to be brought back. It's probably why it WAS brought back though, presuming they did some market analysis. But I can't imagine a retro jersey that isn't a clown suit embarrassment that incorporates OG mighty ducks marks and colors wouldn't sell just as well, if not better.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Just popped over to the Avs board. They're complaining about the quality of the replica as well. Seems like Fanatics/Adidas didn't do so hot on these.
People need to realize since Adidas took over, they created a new “Authentic” jersey to sell to the general public. I call these Indonesian Authentics. They are lighter in material and not the same quality as the Reebok and CCM ones. The ones that the players use on the ice use better fabric and are produced still in Canada. You can still find some real authentics at the team store from back during their 25th anniversary.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Definitely not why it "needed" to be brought back. It's probably why it WAS brought back though, presuming they did some market analysis. But I can't imagine a retro jersey that isn't a clown suit embarrassment that incorporates OG mighty ducks marks and colors wouldn't sell just as well, if not better.

I'm not remotely convinced of that. Context matters.

I also hate this line of thinking. Its exactly what people said of the Mighty Ducks name, logo, colors and jerseys 15 years ago and its probably also why, with the exception of the logo, they'll never come back in a meaningful way.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
While I somewhat like our ReverseRetro design and also ordered one through NHL.com's shop, I felt I could do better ReverseRetro designs based on our glorious old uniforms.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present a ReverseRetro tandem of home and away uniforms based on our inaugural concepts:
reverseretro_concept-i2jte.jpg

Not knocking your own skills at all but I hate these lol. The white isn't bad but I've long hated any and all concepts where the jade and eggplant are flipped. I don't think it works.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm not remotely convinced of that. Context matters.

I also hate this line of thinking. Its exactly what people said of the Mighty Ducks name, logo, colors and jerseys 15 years ago and its probably also why, with the exception of the logo, they'll never come back in a meaningful way.
Context does matter, the fact that some internet people said similar trollish things doesn't create an equivalence in either market or nostalgia. And the passage of time can separate things that seemed to be in similar categories but very clearly weren't in retrospect.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Context does matter, the fact that some internet people said similar trollish things doesn't create an equivalence in either market or nostalgia. And the passage of time can separate things that seemed to be in similar categories but very clearly weren't in retrospect.

I meant the context for this particular jersey. It bombed hard originally because it was a serious time and while they were serious about it, it was obviously outrageous. Now it's a very irony-poisoned world and they're leaning into it, its not surprising it would do well. The Coyotes also modelled theirs after a terrible jersey and its also selling well. If the Islanders used the Fisherman like everyone begged of them I imagine it would've been up there as well. I theorize that being a one-off helps as well.

I'm also just pointing out that the way-too-serious attitudes are the exact same. The jerseys themselves aren't comparable, but you getting big mad about it is. There's also nothing trollish about it, its all very serious and thats the problem.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I meant the context for this particular jersey. It bombed hard originally because it was a serious time and while they were serious about it, it was obviously outrageous. Now it's a very irony-poisoned world and they're leaning into it, its not surprising it would do well. The Coyotes also modelled theirs after a terrible jersey and its also selling well. If the Islanders used the Fisherman like everyone begged of them I imagine it would've been up there as well. I theorize that being a one-off helps as well.

I'm also just pointing out that the way-too-serious attitudes are the exact same. The jerseys themselves aren't comparable, but you getting big mad about it is. There's also nothing trollish about it, its all very serious and thats the problem.
Read this a couple times and couldn't make heads or tails of it, at least with respect the conversation I thought I was having.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Its fairly straightforward, but it's two conversations. The first on why this jersey might uniquely set up for success and the other why your uber-serious reaction to a fun jersey stinks IMO.
Oh. Well you're probably wrong about the first, and LOL, you really shouldn't let me live in your head like that about the second. Getting mad about people getting "mad" is kind of a dumb hobby.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Oh. Well you're probably wrong about the first, and LOL, you really shouldn't let me live in your head like that about the second. Getting mad about people getting "mad" is kind of a dumb hobby.

LMAO you're honestly trying to make this a living in someone's head thing? All I said was you're big mad about a hockey sweater, which you are, and that it's similar to how people acted 15 years ago about a jersey you apparently like. I don't think you know what "living in your head" means.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
LMAO you're honestly trying to make this a living in someone's head thing? All I said was you're big mad about a hockey sweater, which you are, and that it's similar to how people acted 15 years ago about a jersey you apparently like. I don't think you know what "living in your head" means.
...and apparently you have an alert set for when I respond. It's really important for me to tell you that you're mad and that I don't care about it, said the guy who's definitely not deluding himself.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I hate the hotpress jerseys. Hockey jerseys need to be heavy duty with the stitching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad