Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Trevor Zegras to ELC (3 years, $925K AAV)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No surprise. Hopefully he’s not pencilled in for a spot he’s not ready for and they’re not afraid to send him to SD if they need to. It’s been painful watching guys be handed spots and struggle because they’re not ready.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great news! Ducks rough season came to an immediate stop after this outbreak. Great way to start a long off season, and hoping they can at least put a competitive team on the ice next season even if they don’t make the playoffs.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2020-3-27_14-7-35.png

This quote from Bob in the article should ease any worries he'll be forced into a role he's not ready for too early. He acknowledges he's still a ways away.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
Kind of wanted him to spend at least another year in college. He’ll get a look at the NHL, but will likely need a year in the AHL to season his game. It would be nice if he could get his weight between 175-180 pounds before turning pro.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
SD is the best place for him, BU will suck so bad next season.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
SD is the best place for him, BU will suck so bad next season.
You’ve said this a lot, but there’s also no evidence that being the best guy on a bad college team would be bad for his development. It’d make him have to fight harder to dominate.

either way I’m super happy about this. If you have a chance to sign a player like this to his Entry Level Contract, you always do it.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
View attachment 339391

This quote from Bob in the article should ease any worries he'll be forced into a role he's not ready for too early. He acknowledges he's still a ways away.

I hope they take the approach they did with Bobby Ryan. As talented as Ryan was he was far from ready physically and they made him address his weaknesses and dominate at lower levels before he got a chance to be a regular.

Reactions: eternalbedhead

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You’ve said this a lot, but there’s also no evidence that being the best guy on a bad college team would be bad for his development. It’d make him have to fight harder to dominate.

either way I’m super happy about this. If you have a chance to sign a player like this to his Entry Level Contract, you always do it.
He is a play maker, playing with grinders and not good players is no way to develop him. Ask Steel how playing with Sherwood and Jones is.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Bottom line is this decision was about money. Who could blame a 19 year old kid wanting the guaranteed $75K he gets at the AHL level with the potential to make $925K at the NHL level. That’s a lot of money to leave on the table for a young man if he were to stay in school.

Most people are making $8 an hour at 19 delivering pizzas.

the odds are, he wasn’t thinking about what would be better for his development with this move. Maybe he was but I doubt it.

It’s impossible to know what would be better for him, I could see both sides personally

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He is a play maker, playing with grinders and not good players is no way to develop him. Ask Steel how playing with Sherwood and Jones is.

Zegras would be one of the better players in College next season if he returned. It would be good for him to be the man and learn how to carry inferior linemates. Steel was a borderline NHLer who probably could ha be used more AHL time being asked to play third line minutes with two scrubs when he himself wasn’t excelling. Completely different situations.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
View attachment 339391

I'm a huge Bob Murray fan, but after he said there would be competition for an NHL roster spot before the season started and how the personnel shook up contradicted what he said. Finally, he admitted he was pushing the youth movement.

Fowler was pushed too early. DSP was pushed too early. Those were at the beginning of his tenure.

Recently in 2018, 18-year old Lundestrom was pushed and we could have made Comtois eligible for the Seattle Expansion draft if he didn't get injured for his 10th game. The whole youth movement in 2019-20 season was pushed. I trust Bob in acquiring talent, but I don't trust him to let them mature long enough.

I'll support the move, because what other choice do I have, but I don't trust Bob in letting Zegras earn it. The plus side is if Zegras remains in the AHL all season, then his contract slides. If he plays 10 games in the NHL, then his ELC kicks in.

We're going to have a lot of youthful center talent in the AHL next season with Zegras, Groulx, and Lundestrom.

Reactions: Paul4587

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Bottom line is this decision was about money. Who could blame a 19 year old kid wanting the guaranteed $75K he gets at the AHL level with the potential to make $925K at the NHL level. That’s a lot of money to leave on the table for a young man if he were to stay in school.

Most people are making $8 an hour at 19 delivering pizzas.

the odds are, he wasn’t thinking about what would be better for his development with this move. Maybe he was but I doubt it.

It’s impossible to know what would be better for him, I could see both sides personally
Don’t forget the signing bonus which usually is around 90k

Reactions: AngelDuck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I will also add that the highest scoring BU player that is returning next season is Robert Mastrosimone, who had 17 points in 34 games. Not a single returning player averaged over half a point per game last season.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad