Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Trevor Zegras to ELC (3 years, $925K AAV)

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Not really concenered that he's one and done, it's not a Wahlstrom situation. Zegras had an excellent first season, no reason to think he's not ready for the AHL. Sure maybe he could use another season, but I don't think that is going to make or break him as a prospect.

It's up to Anaheim to manage him correctly now.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
If memory serves, Palmieri spent 1 year in college and then went straight to the AHL for a while before becoming a pretty successful NHL player. Hopefully the Ducks don’t rush Zegras and let him marinate in San Diego for a while so he actually is ready to be a NHL player.

Reactions: Kalv and Paul4587

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
After seeing what Jack Hughes has done this year as the #1 pick out of the US development program, I would imagine some time in the AHL for Zegras would be beneficial.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
After seeing what Jack Hughes has done this year as the #1 pick out of the US development program, I would imagine some time in the AHL for Zegras would be beneficial.
Hughes played NHL his D+1 year.

zegras is already entering his D+2

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Hughes was also more talented. Impact Z brings next year might very well be on par with what Hughes did this year - which was not that much. He was sheltered also.

Ehhh. Hughes was more ready, at least. I’m not completely sure that in this draft there was anyone more outright talented than Zegras. Arguably so, maybe, but I think he has as much raw talent as anyone. This wasn’t the best draft in terms of that super holy shit high-end talent, like we’re seeing in the next one. Less separation, in my opinion.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ehhh. Hughes was more ready, at least. I’m not completely sure that in this draft there was anyone more outright talented than Zegras. Arguably so, maybe, but I think he has as much raw talent as anyone. This wasn’t the best draft in terms of that super holy shit high-end talent, like we’re seeing in the next one. Less separation, in my opinion.
Talent alone does not do the trick. Zegras is uber talanted assist guy, yes, but Hughes was (is?) much more rounded offensive guy. Zegras have to develop a more dangerous shot and more explosiveness to his stride if he want`s to not be a one trick pony. I have every belief that Z will work on that, he seems to have a great drive and understanding of what he needs to work on. But I believe Z is still behind Hughes in his development. For what it`s worth I do not understand why the Devils kept Hughes up for so long, glad he didn`t get injured.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Talent alone does not do the trick. Zegras is uber talanted assist guy, yes, but Hughes was (is?) much more rounded offensive guy. Zegras have to develop a more dangerous shot and more explosiveness to his stride if he want`s to not be a one trick pony. I have every belief that Z will work on that, he seems to have a great drive and understanding of what he needs to work on. But I believe Z is still behind Hughes in his development. For what it`s worth I do not understand why the Devils kept Hughes up for so long, glad he didn`t get injured.

That’s why I said Hughes was more ready. Talent and readiness are different, and hell, we’ve even seen cases where the more ready prospect may not end up being the better player. Some players end up looking better because they are ahead of the curve at the time of the draft, but have less room for growth. I think Hughes has plenty of talent, but I’m not completely convinced, yet, that the advantage he has over Zegras is talent vs. just being more ready. At least not based on what I’ve seen,

Agree Zegras needs to keep working to improve himself and expand his repertoire.

Also agree that New Jersey’s actions with Hughes were questionable. I didn’t see enough of him to say he struggled, but it didn’t seem like he was really fully ready and comfortable either.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hughes being in the NHL this season was a mistake. He has elite speed and good vision/passing but the flaws in terms of size/strength/shot outweighed the cons which is why he had a worse first season than even Patrik Stefan.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Zegras would be one of the better players in College next season if he returned. It would be good for him to be the man and learn how to carry inferior linemates. Steel was a borderline NHLer who probably could ha be used more AHL time being asked to play third line minutes with two scrubs when he himself wasn’t excelling. Completely different situations.

He can learn this same thing in the AHL. Zegras will benefit from training full time as a professional hockey player. And from his perspective, there is no reason to delay starting his ELC. If he has an even average NHL career (and he projects well above that), another year of delay literally costs him millions of dollars.

I am very happy with his decision and this signing.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Murray said he would be starting his professional career, so that means NHL or AHL.

Zegras is eligible to be assigned to the OHL where his rights are owned by the Mississauga Steelheads, but that's likely more of a last resort.
Thanks!!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Hughes is definitely the faster skater but Zegras is the better passer.
I see Zegras as being a faster Nicklas Backstrom.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
USATSI_12936883-scaled-e1585370096663-1024x682.jpg

Look at Madden's face. It says it all

In an email to The Athletic, Murray confirmed that Zegras was to begin his pro career with the San Diego Gulls, the Ducks’ American Hockey League affiliate. The AHL suspended its regular season through at least May 1 but has yet to opt for cancellation. At the time of the league’s stoppage, the Gulls sat in a playoff spot.
“We are big believers in using that next step of the AHL, especially if they get some valuable professional playoff exposure,” Murray said. “Just look at Zach Werenski in Columbus. But nobody is getting that experience at this time, so it’s not like he had an injury and is losing valuable development time compared to others.”

Entry-level deal pushes Ducks prospect Trevor Zegras toward...

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
One year playing in college hockey isn't enough to make up for the talent difference in Hughes and Z

Probably nothing Zegras could or will do will make up for the talent difference between these two players. I don't really understand your point or the proposed metric.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hughes is a much better skater. Other than that I don’t see much of a talent discrepancy. Zegras has more size, is more creative and a better passer, has a better shot (which he needs to use more) and has better hands.

The skating difference is significant. But if Zegras is able to close that gap (easier said than done) he could end up being as good of a player.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hughes is a much better skater. Other than that I don’t see much of a talent discrepancy. Zegras has more size, is more creative and a better passer, has a better shot (which he needs to use more) and has better hands.

The skating difference is significant. But if Zegras is able to close that gap (easier said than done) he could end up being as good of a player.
Not sure that Z has a better shot. Even if he has, he has not proven it. Hughes has not been really a goal scoring machine, but has had more goals pretty much anywhere and his goal-assist ratio is also a bit more leveled, which means he`s more dangerous to the defenders.
I like the size advantage and that Z had more time to work on it in college. He has still a lot to work on, but there`s a long offseason for that now, and he might start at SD to keep working on strength.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not sure that Z has a better shot. Even if he has, he has not proven it. Hughes has not been really a goal scoring machine, but has had more goals pretty much anywhere and his goal-assist ratio is also a bit more leveled, which means he`s more dangerous to the defenders.
I like the size advantage and that Z had more time to work on it in college. He has still a lot to work on, but there`s a long offseason for that now, and he might start at SD to keep working on strength.

Hughes shot is definitely the weaker of the two. He’s just more willing to use it (and his speed also allows him to get into more scoring situations where he can use it) which is why his goal to assist ratio is better. Zegras like Getzlaf is looking to pass way too often but when he does actual shoot he has a pretty good shot.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t see Backstrom at all in Zegras. I see a lot of Patrick Kane (style wise, not comparing their talent) but Backstrom is a completely different type of player. Only similarities they have are that they are both pass first guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad