Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Luke Schenn (1y/800k)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Wonder what De Haan ends up getting. He’s the best of the dmen left.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I really dont like this move, only redeaming factor is that we didnt give him a dumb contract.

If he takes pt away from a legetimate prospect ill be pissed.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Anybody really believe this is a “depth”signing?

He will play 20 minutes a night giving us veteran mistakes.....errrr presence

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania

In terms of money it sure is, but knowing Carlyle it wouldn't surprise me to see him paired with Fowler for 20 mins a night like Lovejoy was to spread puck movers around and give Montour less minutes.

It's a long offseason though and I am still expecting some changes to occur.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
This boards reaction to this signing is surprising given he checks off all the boxes of things you guys don't want for this team.

He's slow, gritty, is no better than Bieksa, and is taking minutes away from a guy like Welinski who deserves to actually ****ing play. Hate this signing.

Defensemen rarely get to use their speed. You can get away with being slow if you use good gap control. For defensemen, making good quick decisions and having a good first pass helps team speed far more than than pure top speed. Of course those aren't Schenn's strengths either, just saying...

Schenn is however quite mobile, which is also more important than speed for a defenseman. Besides Manson, our team has defense has been far too soft. Bieksa and Beauchemin may hit, but don't wreck people anymore. Entering the Ducks zone on the left flank will be more intimidating now, with both Manson and Schenn there.

He's prone to mistakes with and without the puck, but for 800k it's a great deal. We are paying him less than Holzer even. I defenitely thought Schenn would go for more than this and with another year for term, as he was one of the younger UFA's out there.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

This year's Holzer and he will play like him. If the youngsters can not outplay him they may be not so good. Imho he adds something we lack, net presence.

Reactions: Elvs

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Just when you get rid of Bieksa... You sign another player to frustrate you with moronic mistakes and frequently being out of position.

At least its for 1 year, im just happy to see Bieksas ass gone that I dont mind this at all :laugh:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm a little bit nostalgic right now. Man I really liked him back then.

And it is quite funny when you listen to the analysis at the draft.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He isn’t any good but the price and term make this a lot easier to stomach. Not going to burn the team if/when it doesn’t work out like the Stoner/Allen/Bieksa deals did

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
He isn’t any good but the price and term make this a lot easier to stomach. Not going to burn the team if/when it doesn’t work out like the Stoner/Allen/Bieksa deals did

He is good enough for a #6 or #7 role. And that's what he will be here.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Well, the good thing is he didn't overpay, I guess. Don't think it's a smart or even necessary signing though. And no, I don't trust our coaching staff to actually choose the best players available to them.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Holzer spent most of last year in SD. You're dreaming if you think Schenn isn't penciled in for 82 games in ANA of 16-20 minutes.

I don’t think this is accurate. I think Bob wanted someone to compete with a youngster on the bottom pair. I think he’ll end up with 50ish games played

Reactions: Boogernaut

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don’t think this is accurate. I think Bob wanted someone to compete with a youngster on the bottom pair. I think he’ll end up with 50ish games played
Well, what you're saying is that Bob and Randy truly are changed men as their hockey philosophy goes. I'm not there yet. IMO the only way Schenn plays 50ish games is due to injuries.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He is good enough for a #6 or #7 role. And that's what he will be here.
Okay, overall he isn’t a good hockey player though. This doesn’t make us a better team. All I’m saying

Still don’t mind it

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Well, what you're saying is that Bob and Randy truly are changed men as their hockey philosophy goes. I'm not there yet. IMO the only way Schenn plays 50ish games is due to injuries.

I think it’s fair to question that. The signing does well for Bob in regards to that though. I’d feel differently if we were paying Schenn more or longer term. Jury is still out on RC though

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
You might be comfortable handing the 3rd pair to the 'kids,' but I think we need a veteran to occupy one of the spots on that pair. Also, at 800K, if he gets outplayed in the middle of the year, then it won't hurt much to just sit him in favor of Larsson, Pettersson, Welinski, etc. It's way different than Bieksa, since it's not the same as putting $4 million in the press box every night.

EDIT: Is there a chance he's going to be as bad as Bieksa? Yes, but I doubt there would be as much hesitation to sit him as there was with Bieksa.

Say what you will about Kevin Bieksa, but at least he can skate. I havent seen Luk Schenn play much since he left Philly, but he falls on his ass more than anyone in the league. Hopefully his skating has improved in Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad