Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Luke Schenn (1y/800k)

RakAttack

Nov 9, 2017
Meh I’ll take it. Good on Bob for not paying him like 2 mill or something like that

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This boards reaction to this signing is surprising given he checks off all the boxes of things you guys don't want for this team.

He's slow, gritty, is no better than Bieksa, and is taking minutes away from a guy like Welinski who deserves to actually f***ing play. Hate this signing.

Reactions: Tony O and Hussar

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No issue with him at 800k. He can be ok as no 7 and will help PK when he’s in lineup.

Also what’s with Friedman coming out with all of the signings he’s breaking minutes after Seravalli?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This boards reaction to this signing is surprising given he checks off all the boxes of things you guys don't want for this team.

He's slow, gritty, is no better than Bieksa, and is taking minutes away from a guy like Welinski who deserves to actually ****ing play. Hate this signing.

He’s a depth guy who won’t be getting anything more than third pairing minutes. Welinski will be fighting with him for a job, if he can’t beat him out that’s his problem.

You care too much about an irrelevant move.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

He's slow, gritty, is no better than Bieksa, and is taking minutes away from a guy like Welinski who deserves to actually ****ing play. Hate this signing.

While I don't love this signing, if he's coming in as our #7, it shouldn't impact the opportunities that those players get.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Eh, we all knew it was coming. 1y/800k is a nice change of pace. As long as he earns his ice time, I'm good.

Reactions: Exit Dose

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

You might be comfortable handing the 3rd pair to the 'kids,' but I think we need a veteran to occupy one of the spots on that pair. Also, at 800K, if he gets outplayed in the middle of the year, then it won't hurt much to just sit him in favor of Larsson, Pettersson, Welinski, etc. It's way different than Bieksa, since it's not the same as putting $4 million in the press box every night.

EDIT: Is there a chance he's going to be as bad as Bieksa? Yes, but I doubt there would be as much hesitation to sit him as there was with Bieksa.

Reactions: Getzmonster

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Not as bad as Murray's typical contracts with "veteran" defensemen. Interestingly, Schenn is only 28. Not a bad depth signing and adds toughness.

How was Schenn in Arizona last year?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If Bieksa was making 800k in a 6/7 role the past couple years that would have been ok as well.

Reactions: gilfaizon

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That is pretty cheap.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
800k isn't bad at all

but the fact that we came out of today with nothing but luke schenn is the most bob murray thing ever

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Hopefully he doesn’t get beat up often this year, he has no fighting skills to back up his physicality. Needs to be like Orpiks and just hug, haha.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Today's bottom pairing defender signings:

John Moore 5x $2.75M
Roman Polak 1x $1.3M
Frederik Claesson 1x $0.7M
Kevin Gravel 1x $0.7M
Brandon Manning 2x $2.25M
Nick Holden 2x $2.2M
Thomas Hickey 4x $2.5M

I guess some of the guys in the $2+M range might be more able to help out on a 2nd pair when needed, but still, hard to dislike this signing.
Our need for more speed certainly wasn't going to be addressed by making our blue line even more mobile than it already is.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Today's bottom pairing defender signings:

John Moore 5x $2.75M
Roman Polak 1x $1.3M
Frederik Claesson 1x $0.7M
Kevin Gravel 1x $0.7M
Brandon Manning 2x $2.25M
Nick Holden 2x $2.2M
Thomas Hickey 4x $2.5M

I guess some of the guys in the $2+M range might be more able to help out on a 2nd pair when needed, but still, hard to dislike this signing.
Our need for more speed certainly wasn't going to be addressed by making our blue line even more mobile than it already is.
Hickey will be worth that easily. I would have liked that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->