Confirmed with Link: Ducks Sign Jani Hakanpää (1 year, $750K) and Christian Djoos (1 year, $1M) to extensions

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Don't you mean Irwin now, because we traded away Holzer. = )

Congrats to Jani! Hope his progression continues! That gives the NHL club three RHD now with Manson, Gudz, and Jani going into next season. We also have Axel coming to the AHL as well. It's also possible that after the draft, we could have two more in Drysdale and Helge! (It's a dream, of course, but wow!) Talk about revamping the RD in a hurry.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Don't you mean Irwin now, because we traded away Holzer. = )

Congrats to Jani! Hope his progression continues! That gives the NHL club three RHD now with Manson, Gudz, and Jani going into next season. We also have Axel coming to the AHL as well. It's also possible that after the draft, we could have two more in Drysdale and Helge! (It's a dream, of course, but wow!) Talk about revamping the RD in a hurry.

Meant what I said. Holzer had been the veteran depth guy for quite some time, at worst Hakanpaa fills that role.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
This is a no risk contract. If he doesn't work out he can be put in San Diego and not have his salary count against the cap. Should he work out the contract is a very reasonable amount for a third pairing defenseman, or even a number 7 who spots in and out of the line up.

Given the situation that we now find ourselves in, I suspect that it is going to be more difficult than usual to integrate new players into the line up and the Ducks system. Bringing back a guy who can play on the 3rd pair and who is familiar with the team and the system is a good move.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No risk, could be some reward. Hopefully he is the player we saw in two games at the end of the year as opposed to the guy we saw in preseason. I’m rooting for him.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Interesting Djoos took a pay cut. Somone who knows the CBA better then me can clarify, but doesn't he basically have to be okay with that? In order for an RFA to take less money then their current contract they have to accept it instead of becoming a UFA if we don't qualify him which puts him right at his current contract plus some % raise.

I remember someone being worried about Djoos getting a Manson type contract....
Good deals for both of them.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Djoos as well? Good to see, the depth we have on the left side is looking a lot better than it was a year ago. With the Djoos signing and Larsson making huge strides the last 15 or so games our healthy left side is actually pretty good.

Lindholm
Fowler
Djoos
Larsson
Mahura
Guhle

I wonder if MDZ is back next season?

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Interesting Djoos took a pay cut. Somone who knows the CBA better then me can clarify, but doesn't he basically have to be okay with that? In order for an RFA to take less money then their current contract they have to accept it instead of becoming a UFA if we don't qualify him which puts him right at his current contract plus some % raise.

Murray must have scared him out of taking it to arbitration.

Reactions: MilesNewton
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Well yeah he's gotta be OK with it, he's the one signing the contract.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like the idea of bringing back Djoos, he is good depth to have and like to see if he can add more to the PP which needs a desperate shake up.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Very small sample size for Hakanpää but he seems to be a project that the Ducks want to develop no matter how long it takes.
I still think there are better players to maybe run with and a bit surprised about the one way deal but GMBM loves this type of player.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Obviously. I mean he chose to take a pay cut to stay here rather then become a UFA.

I think Djoos might be gambling on himself here. In Anaheim, he knows he'll be starting rather than be shuffling around. Should Djoos put up a competent year, then his stock will rise. It's good all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad