Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Heatley (1 year, 1m)

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
He played left wing at Atlanta and Ottawa, but I think he played right wing with Marleau and Thornton.

DaDucks*

I think if Heatley has a great season he'll price himself out of our salary structure pretty quickly, unless some of the kids are taken out of the equation.

Ya, I think that sounds right... I can't imagine BM not giving him a good contract if he crushes on the top line the whole year.

. If I didn't have enough to watch at the next camp already :speechles

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I think it's incredibly premature to worry about Heatley's next contract. Let's just worry how he fits on the team first. But if he's great then I don't have a problem signing him to a 2-3 year deal. If he sucks then he'll be discarded without consequence.

DaDucks*

I think it's incredibly premature to worry about Heatley's next contract. Let's just worry how he fits on the team first. But if he's great then I don't have a problem signing him to a 2-3 year deal. If he sucks then he'll be discarded without consequence.

Considering what Gaborik just got, I don't think so. (Not saying they're the same caliber of player)

Or perhaps we should continue the conversation about which players deserve to change their numbers :sarcasm:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why are we talking about the next contract? He hasn't even played one game for us, and the contract he's on now is basically a tryout contract. I mean, really, we just don't have any idea right now what he might ask for or, more importantly, what he might be worth.

DaDucks*

Why are we talking about the next contract? He hasn't even played one game for us, and the contract he's on now is basically a tryout contract. I mean, really, we just don't have any idea right now what he might ask for or, more importantly, what he might be worth.

Not necessarily a dollars and cents discussion, more so of a potential risk assessment. We know what will happen if he's a total dud, but that about if he's a success? I an very weary of signing anyone who has potentially had their best years behind them after our season last year. It's a pretty valid concern, many people are clocking Heatley for 25-30g's if he has his hands and legs back. Well guess what, if he does that and works well with our entire system/youth, BM isn't going to let him go very easily. If there's anything to take away from last year, it's that ANY roster position on this team over the next few years in our "window" is absolutely crucial, even more so our team having somewhat announced what our internal cap ceiling is. A somewhat pricey top 6 contract to a guy potentially finding his way back to the 4th line/healthy scratch in the next couple years will hurt this team in multiple ways.

1.taking a roster spot away from prospect
2. Taking money away from acquiring a top pairing defensemen, and true top 6 forward.

Many teams are in cap trouble, this offseason was just a glimpse of the potential yard sale of squeezing a team into giving us just what we need to properly round out our roster, without all the potential risk that I've stated above.

And to answer your question, I'm bored, and I must feed.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
I think it's just as simple as if getzlaf and perry are comfortable with him than he signs another contract here

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Ya, seriously. I think he could have a very good year, but he is just as likely to be terrible lol.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
whose expecting 25 to 30 goals from him?

i'm expecting 25 to 30 points, and for 1m i would be happy with that.

I would say 30 points is a minimum considering that's what he got last year on the Wild. I also acknowledge that he could easily exceed those 30 points even on the 4th line with the Ducks. If he works with the twins it could be a jackpot.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Not necessarily a dollars and cents discussion, more so of a potential risk assessment. We know what will happen if he's a total dud, but that about if he's a success? I an very weary of signing anyone who has potentially had their best years behind them after our season last year. It's a pretty valid concern, many people are clocking Heatley for 25-30g's if he has his hands and legs back. Well guess what, if he does that and works well with our entire system/youth, BM isn't going to let him go very easily. If there's anything to take away from last year, it's that ANY roster position on this team over the next few years in our "window" is absolutely crucial, even more so our team having somewhat announced what our internal cap ceiling is. A somewhat pricey top 6 contract to a guy potentially finding his way back to the 4th line/healthy scratch in the next couple years will hurt this team in multiple ways.

1.taking a roster spot away from prospect
2. Taking money away from acquiring a top pairing defensemen, and true top 6 forward.

Many teams are in cap trouble, this offseason was just a glimpse of the potential yard sale of squeezing a team into giving us just what we need to properly round out our roster, without all the potential risk that I've stated above.

And to answer your question, I'm bored, and I must feed.
They didn't have any trouble dumping Penner. Or letting Perreault go. I don't think they've shown to be as attached as you assume.

I don't think it will be a problem. Hopefully he has a good year, and we dump him next year when a prospect fills the spot. Sort of like how I wanted with Perreault.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
They didn't have any trouble dumping Penner. Or letting Perreault go. I don't think they've shown to be as attached as you assume.

I don't think it will be a problem. Hopefully he has a good year, and we dump him next year when a prospect fills the spot. Sort of like how I wanted with Perreault.

I'd be perfectly fine with re-signing him if he has a good season, but we still have to wait and see of course.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I'm just going to call it now, 25+ 25+ season from Heatley is what's going to happen.

If he doesn't do that, no big deal, it's literally no risk. If one of the kids outplays him they will play, Boudreau has already shown that.

I think this will be similar to the Gaborik signing with LA. I called Anaheim signing Heatley to a friend early this year. He just fits. He doesn't need to carry the play or carry a line here, he can just find open space in the offensive zone and let Getlzaf or Perry feed him pucks, or find rebounds.

Really think he's going to be a great fit here.

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
Heatley doesn't fit into any of the Ducks lines. Too slow, too soft. He'll be nothing but liability. This signing just doesn't make any sense.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I would say 30 points is a minimum considering that's what he got last year on the Wild. I also acknowledge that he could easily exceed those 30 points even on the 4th line with the Ducks. If he works with the twins it could be a jackpot.

I wouldn't say that's a minimum... he's on the tail end of his career and he's slowed down a lot. I'll be happy with 30 points though. If he gets 30+ while not being a liability at even strength this is going to be a steal.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I think Heatley's skating is being overanalyzed. Heatley has been slow for a long time. He wrecked his knee in the accident and never really recovered and had to change his game after that. He's never been an explosive skater though, but it's not really a part of his game and hasn't prevented him from scoring.

He's always been his best when he can sneak into the slot and snipe a one-timer top shelf or shove a redirect through the goalie. Like most natural goal scorers, his ability is to get in the right position and maintain that position, and while he isn't overly physical his big frame makes him hard to move. Bigger issue is if he has lost that finishing ability.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Heatley doesn't fit into any of the Ducks lines. Too slow, too soft. He'll be nothing but liability. This signing just doesn't make any sense.

You can throw just about any winger with Getzlaf and Perry and they'll produce. He's very much Penner 2.0 but at half the price and much more potential. If he can duplicate his numbers from this past season I'll be happy. But I don't it's unrealistic that he can do much better than that.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think Heatley's skating is being overanalyzed. Heatley has been slow for a long time. He wrecked his knee in the accident and never really recovered and had to change his game after that. He's never been an explosive skater though, but it's not really a part of his game and hasn't prevented him from scoring.

He's always been his best when he can sneak into the slot and snipe a one-timer top shelf or shove a redirect through the goalie. Like most natural goal scorers, his ability is to get in the right position and maintain that position, and while he isn't overly physical his big frame makes him hard to move. Bigger issue is if he has lost that finishing ability.

I have a feeling his skating won't be a problem. On a fast team like Minnesota, I can definitely see where it'd be a problem, but there's a few slower guys on this team, I'm not sure it'll be a huge issue. I'm definitely more worried about his hands and shot, but we'll see how they look in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad