Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Senators Dec. 22

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It was a close one, i imagine its the same rule for whether it would be considered control enough to blow the whistle dead on a delayed penalty. It did look that way, So no assist either i guess.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
20-11-3

6 pts up on Tampa for our playoff spot. Each team with 34 games and us up 17-15 in ROW so the tiebreaker too,

Only 4 behind Montreal for the division. We are now in the "pack" of the good teams in the Metro not really much behind them like we were like a week ago.

Now 8th in the entire NHL.

For a team with a -1 on the season we have been in like every game all season except 3 or 4. And no matter what injuries, suspensions, slumps the team has we keep winning and playing hard and consistently, game after game. Period after period.

This team is not better then it's record. It is "better" then it's goals for and against and Corsi. I expect the team to keep winning at this rate and get 98-102 points but see the teams corsi and goals against improve over the rest of the season.

This really is at least a pretty good team. We are earning our record and have a good system and good coach and good players. We aren't lucky to be 9 games over .500 now.

So happy with the team!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Also important to note that Hoffman drew the penalty that led to his PP goal.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
What's crazy here is we are botton 5 in the NHL in possesion at 5 on 5.

Top 8 in points.

I think our Corsi will get better as the season goes on while our winning percentage stays similar.

Watching the team we are better then our Corsi shows. As good as our record shows.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Karlsson not starting OT was strange, and the PP unit without a center was weird too.

Matchups. He only took a seat after Ducks lined up for faceoff. Boucher wanted Karlsson to defend against Perry/Getzlaf with his stick and speed as well as burn them on the wing on the attack.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What's crazy here is we are botton 5 in the NHL in possesion at 5 on 5.

The correlation between corsi and winning is nothing to get excited about. Even the relationship between CF% and GF% boarders being anything worth discussing

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Karlsson not starting OT was strange, and the PP unit without a center was weird too.

Brass+Turris had shifts prior and were probably gassed. Sens were going to probably lose the faceoff to Kesler anyways. Stone on the ice>Pageau or Lazar or Kelly just to give them a better shot at the faceoff.

My guess about Karlsson not starting was that it might have been an attempt to line match. Home game, so Ottawa has second change.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Ceci apparently matching against the slower kesler line, Karlsson against the faster lines.

Plus the Sens have been 2 discrete teams. Starting as such a terrible possession and passing team, and now being a quite different one for a lesser amount of time. So any stats averaging these 2 periods would seem less useful for predicting than chastising

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
On the Sens pp entries, too many times i notice a Sens player pass it to a guy standing still on the blueline only for the other team to immediately get the puck and dump it back all the way to the Sens zone again.

I think they need to try to fix this.

Anyhow, it was a pretty good game. Much better than the last game against the Ducks.

Merry Christmas everyone.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Nice win. As I mentioned in another thread, it looked like we had an answer this time against the Ducks: more dump and chase, try to recover the puck by going around their slow guys. Pyatt and Turris did that to perfection during the first half of the game.

Then... they wore us down and we hung on to dear life. That's still our problem against teams with big centres. But play like this and we have a chance.

Monsters:

- Methot as usual: does this guy ever have a bad game?
- Karlsson,
- 1st half Pyatt.

As for Lazar: dude couldn't handle a pass to save his life. Maybe he needs to morph into a mini-Neil to have a career.

Hoffman now has his own "office" on the PP. Fun to watch.

Instead of Ceci, I would have liked to see Wideman to start in OT.

As long as we stay healthy, we can keep this momentum. Knock on wood!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Nice win. As I mentioned in another thread, it looked like we had an answer this time against the Ducks: more dump and chase, try to recover the puck by going around their slow guys. Pyatt and Turris did that to perfection during the first half of the game.

Then... they wore us down and we hung on to dear life. That's still our problem against teams with big centres. But play like this and we have a chance.

Monsters:

- Methot as usual: does this guy ever have a bad game?
- Karlsson,
- 1st half Pyatt.

As for Lazar: dude couldn't handle a pass to save his life. Maybe he needs to morph into a mini-Neil to have a career.

Hoffman now has his own "office" on the PP. Fun to watch.

Instead of Ceci, I would have liked to see Wideman to start in OT.

As long as we stay healthy, we can keep this momentum. Knock on wood!

Hopefully our bye week coming up (Jan. 2-Jan.6) doesn't **** us over when it comes to momentum. I myself am knocking on wood right now.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As I mentioned in another thread, it looked like we had an answer this time against the Ducks: more dump and chase, try to recover the puck by going around their slow guys. Pyatt and Turris did that to perfection during the first half of the game.

I like to think that finding the answer to teams that beat us before is a sign of good coaching, so hats off to a coach who knows what he's doing!

edit: aha, now I saw that was exactly the point you were making when saying that in the other thread, ^5

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Surprised we won that one, I'll admit.

Rough road trip for the Ducks.

Know a few people who went to this one and they had a great time.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Hopefully our bye week coming up (Jan. 2-Jan.6) doesn't **** us over when it comes to momentum. I myself am knocking on wood right now.

Our bye week would allow our guys to get healthy. None of the guys are suffering from crazy injuries but methot Ryan Phaneuf and a few others could use the time to recover from the extra bumps and bruises etc etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad