Confirmed with Link: Ducks retiring Kariya #9 and Niedermayer #27 jerseys

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes. It’s kind of why I don’t like 27 being up there. If its going up, 15 and 10 have to be up there eventually.

Edit: let me add that I’m more than happy to see 15 and 10 go up. Imo, much more deserving than Nieds.
Yeah, I think we’ll have 8, 9, 10, 15, 27, 35 retired for good

Side note: #27 has been an incredible number for Anaheim sports. Scott Niedermayer, Vlad Guerrero, Mike Trout

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah, I think we’ll have 8, 9, 10, 15, 27, 35 retired for good

Side note: #27 has been an incredible number for Anaheim sports. Scott Niedermayer, Vlad Guerrero, Mike Trout

I think that too but I’m not crazy about the idea. Imo, should just be 8,9,10, and 15. I’d be completely fine with 35 going up too. Don’t agree on Nieds though. I love the guy and boy did he ever change the franchise, but 5 years gets his number retired? Not to me.

Reactions: Lyons71

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think that too but I’m not crazy about the idea. Imo, should just be 8,9,10, and 15. I’d be completely fine with 35 going up too. Don’t agree on Nieds though. I love the guy and boy did he ever change the franchise, but 5 years gets his number retired? Not to me.
I’m whatever on Nieds getting retired. I agree 5 years is crazy short. However, people always talk about getting Pronger being the piece that put us as a cup contender. I disagree with that. It was when we got Scotty. Look at 05/06. That team was a hair away from the finals and that was with Getzlaf and Perry not even close to fully matured. Scott won the Norris that year. He Wasn’t just a great player but the best leader in franchise history. Doubtful Beauch has the career he had if not for Scotty imo. We were going to be a cup contender without Pronger in 06/07 with Getzlaf and Perry taking the next step. Pronger just made them one of the all time great teams. Seriously Pronger never would have even happened if Scotty didn’t come here.

So I can see a very strong argument that if we don’t get Scotty, the franchise would have remained in obscurity for a long time

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

doesn't matter that he only played 5 years in anaheim

signing him was the move that put the ducks on the path to a cup. you can't deny that his presence was one of the key factors in turning the franchise from an afterthought to a cup contender

i would have liked to see #35 go up first but i have no problem with niedermayer getting his # retired. he 100% deserves to

as others have mentioned, in the next decade or so #'s 8, 9, 10, 15, 27, and 35 will be the ones hanging in the rafters

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I’m whatever on Nieds getting retired. I agree 5 years is crazy short. However, people always talk about getting Pronger being the piece that put us as a cup contender. I disagree with that. It was when we got Scotty. Look at 05/06. That team was a hair away from the finals and that was with Getzlaf and Perry not even close to fully matured. Scott won the Norris that year. He Wasn’t just a great player but the best leader in franchise history. Doubtful Beauch has the career he had if not for Scotty imo. We were going to be a cup contender without Pronger in 06/07 with Getzlaf and Perry taking the next step. Pronger just made them one of the all time great teams. Seriously Pronger never would have even happened if Scotty didn’t come here.

So I can see a very strong argument that if we don’t get Scotty, the franchise would have remained in obscurity for a long time

Oh I agree full heartedly about Nieds. I don’t know if I agree that the franchise would have remained in obscurity if he didn’t come over, but I believe the day he signed with us, it changed the entire image of the Ducks. I’m not trying to question the importance of Niedermayer, I’m questioning the guidelines in retiring a jersey. Imo, it should be incredibly rare. I just wouldn’t have him up there with our other franchise icons. I’d only have 8 and 9 up there personally. I’m on fence about 35, but to me 27 shouldn’t be up there. I’m not upset or anything. I just wouldn’t have his time here qualify for getting his number retired. Still hoping I can make it to that game though. He’s my all time 2nd favorite Duck.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
doesn't matter that he only played 5 years in anaheim

signing him was the move that put the ducks on the path to a cup. you can't deny that his presence was one of the key factors in turning the franchise from an afterthought to a cup contender

i would have liked to see #35 go up first but i have no problem with niedermayer getting his # retired. he 100% deserves to

as others have mentioned, in the next decade or so #'s 8, 9, 10, 15, 27, and 35 will be the ones hanging in the rafters

I’m not denying anything. I understand and appreciate the importance as much as anyone. I’m just of the mind that it should be incredibly rare for a jersey to be retired. Love Nieds and he turned the franchise around, but 5 years isn’t enough for me personally. Id have 8&9 up there. On fence about 35 but I personally wouldn’t have retired 27 if it was my decision though I fully understand why he’s going up there. Will be an awesome moment regardless

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I’m not denying anything. I understand and appreciate the importance as much as anyone. I’m just of the mind that it should be incredibly rare for a jersey to be retired. Love Nieds and he turned the franchise around, but 5 years isn’t enough for me personally. Id have 8&9 up there. On fence about 35 but I personally wouldn’t have retired 27 if it was my decision though I fully understand why he’s going up there. Will be an awesome moment regardless

time spent with the franchise of course should be considered when retiring numbers but for me, 5 years is plenty

now if they were to retire pronger's number, that would be ridiculous and on par with the avs retiring bourque's number

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
time spent with the franchise of course should be considered when retiring numbers but for me, 5 years is plenty

now if they were to retire pronger's number, that would be ridiculous and on par with the avs retiring bourque's number

It does bug me a bit that no one has retired Pronger's number, though.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Randy Ladouceur, come on down.
Not gonna lie, had to google it and now I feel ashamed.

But I can`t seem to find another explanation of why Scotty would go before Giggy up in the rafters, other than ''lets now retire the Captains that needs to be up there, first''.
Scotty was a huge final piece of our championship puzzle but that doesn`t mean Giggy was any less of a piece in that puzzle. Plus Giggy very clearly led us 1 win away from a championship few years prior that. Plus Giggy was here much longer than Scotty.
IIRC both had the same individual hardware while with the Ducks. Both got one Conn Smythe

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Scotty is just so loved in the organization and is still very involved. I really believe that tipped the scales and otherwise he doesnt get his number retired.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Scotty is just so loved in the organization and is still very involved. I really believe that tipped the scales and otherwise he doesnt get his number retired.

I think Kariya might've as well. Someone on twitter had an interesting theory that Kariya only agreed to do it if he too went up, and it makes sense. Kariya believed only the cup winners should be up there and probably didn't want to be one of two guys up there for very long. Wouldn't doubt if he pushed for it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Not gonna lie, had to google it and now I feel ashamed.

But I can`t seem to find another explanation of why Scotty would go before Giggy up in the rafters, other than ''lets now retire the Captains that needs to be up there, first''.
Scotty was a huge final piece of our championship puzzle but that doesn`t mean Giggy was any less of a piece in that puzzle. Plus Giggy very clearly led us 1 win away from a championship few years prior that. Plus Giggy was here much longer than Scotty.
IIRC both had the same individual hardware while with the Ducks. Both got one Conn Smythe
Didn’t Scotty win the Norris in 05/06? I could be wrong

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Lol of course he did. For as great of a player as Lidstrom was, he was undeserving of at least 2 of those Norris’

It's kind of crazy to think back, now that the Norris has trended a bit to becoming almost a lifetime achievement award, that they just always gave it to Lidstrom almost by default. I dont think he was ever a bad choice but guessing some of those voters have some regret on Pronger and Niedermayer only ever winning it once.

Reactions: AngelDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So glad that #9 will be hanging from the rafters. Kariya was the reason I became a Ducks fan, and despite keeping my loyalties with the team after he left, I never felt the same anger towards him in particular that others have expressed. I more just hated the entire situation in general. The guy meant so much to this franchise and it's absolutely perfect that 8 & 9 will be the first two numbers up there together.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Deserved for both, I don't mind retiring Scotty's number too given how much he meant for our franchise: he wanted to win a Cup with his brother and that's why he decided to leave a powerhouse like the Devils to sign with us. Without him there would be no Pronger and no Cup, he totally deserves to be up in the rafters forever.
As others I would have liked to see Giggy recognized as well: his number will probably in 2020 or so (I hope!).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Deserved for both, I don't mind retiring Scotty's number too given how much he meant for our franchise: he wanted to win a Cup with his brother and that's why he decided to leave a powerhouse like the Devils to sign with us. Without him there would be no Pronger and no Cup, he totally deserves to be up in the rafters forever.
As others I would have liked to see Giggy recognized as well: his number will probably in 2020 or so (I hope!).
Pronger would say ''no, I don`t want to be traded to Ducks'' and Oilers GM would cancel the trade? :sarcasm:

Ok ok I think I understand what you meant. Well we will never know for sure, for sure.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Pronger would say ''no, I don`t want to be traded to Ducks'' and Oilers GM would cancel the trade? :sarcasm:

Ok ok I think I understand what you meant. Well we will never know for sure, for sure.

We just needed the missing piece and it was Pronger. No Scotty and I don't think we go all out on him. Possible of course, but would the Ducks make a suitable destination for him even so? Don't think so. We will never know for sure as you say, but Scotty was decisive for our franchise in so many ways.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad