Confirmed with Link: Ducks retiring Kariya #9 and Niedermayer #27 jerseys

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Well deserved, nobody else should have ever worn #9.

Neids will always be the first Duck to hoist it

Somewhat surprised Niedermayer getting retired before Giguere

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I must admit I wasn't a fan of retiring Kariya's number but I've soften my stance in the last couple of years on it, and am happy to see the #9 go up. Enough time has passed since Kariya left and with Kariya seemingly reengaging with the Ducks in the last year or so - time is right to make this happen, well deserved for him no matter how badly it ended originally.

And Niedermayer goes without saying.

I wonder if Jiggy will see his number go up in 2020.

EDIT: Also I hope Kariya goes up in the rafters with the Mighty Ducks colours, don't think it would make sense if he went up with the Ducks colour scheme.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
A bit surprised about Nieds, to be honest. Didn't think what he's done would have warranted a retired jersey in the management's view, but maybe they want to tie him down for good too with this move. Not that' I'd have any disagreements, though.

But Kariya? f*** YES, FINALLY.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I disagree with Nieds over Jiggy. I think both should be retired, but Kariya/Jiggy in the same season would have made more sense.

Don't get me wrong, getting Niedermayer changed everything for this franchise. We instantly went from pretender to contender the day we got him and never weren't viewed as a dangerous team until the day he retired.

But he just wasn't here very long

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think I get it, with the duality of the two captains trying the two eras together. A bit weird it wasn't just one at a time but with the 25th anniversary and having waited so long to do it, yeah, I can see why they did both. Although, I get why they wanted to space them but that home game against the Devils seemed like a perfect time to retire Scottys number.

In that sense I also like keeping Giguere for another year. All on his own and you can make it a bigger spectacle.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
finally

and i also disagree with niedermayer getting his # retired before jiggy. but he helped change the course of the franchise and was the C of the cup winning team. i'm sure that's the team's thinking. and im sure jiggy goes up in 19-20

and yes, PK's number needs to go up in the mighty ducks colors. don't see any reason why it wouldn't

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Seriously almost started crying at work when I saw the announcement. So happy PK will be in the rafters finally. Surprised about Scotty over Jiggy but since he is still with the organization I can see it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So Niedermayer will have his number retired with two different franchises. Does anyone know of anyone else who can say that?

I'm sure there are at least a few but none come immediately to mind for me. I guess Gretzky is an obvious one

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
So Niedermayer will have his number retired with two different franchises. Does anyone know of anyone else who can say that?

I'm sure there are at least a few but none come immediately to mind for me. I guess Gretzky is an obvious one
Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Roy Borque, Mark Messier, Patrick Roy and Tim Horton are the only ones according to Wikipedia

Reactions: AngelDuck

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think Howes is officially retired in Carolina(maybe not even unofficially) and Hulls was just kind of unreturned in Arizona, I guess. And even with those two, pretty incredible company.
That doesn't matter though. Howe's was retired while Hartford were an NHL franchise and Hull's was retired while Winnipeg version 1 was an NHL franchise so they were both still retired by 2 NHL teams no matter what happened to the franchise after that.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Just bought tickets to both! Get them now before they raise!

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Repeating what's been here but Giguere should absolutely be up there before both of them. Still pumped though, Kariya is the reason I'm a fan of this team and Niedermayer signing basically turned our franchise into one of the best in the league after a rough first decade (outside of the Cinderella run).

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The more I think on Giguere, though, the less sure I am hes going up there. I definitely think he should and ultimately think he will, but given his career, I don't think that would be a total shock if he was excluded. Gotta draw a line somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->