Confirmed with Link: Ducks retiring Kariya #9 and Niedermayer #27 jerseys

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The more I think on Giguere, though, the less sure I am hes going up there. I definitely think he should and ultimately think he will, but given his career, I don't think that would be a total shock if he was excluded. Gotta draw a line somewhere.
The line can't be at giguere though, he should be a lock. That line should be at someone like Beauch or Rucchin.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm at once very excited for both of these and also very sad that I will be watching a lot of 05-07 highlights when the franchise what at its absolute peak.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Down the line I'd like to see Anaheim bring in a 'ring of honour' or something along those lines similar to what the Yankees have - where players who made big contributions to the franchise (but perhaps not enough for a jersey retirement) can still be honoured by the Ducks.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The line can't be at giguere though, he should be a lock. That line should be at someone like Beauch or Rucchin.

I totally agree, especially that that's where to draw it. I just wouldn't be surprised if they decided the Hall of Fame was a necessity(although that might exclude Getzlaf).

But, Gigueres was the first one unofficially retired in a sense and Gibson switched to 36 for a reason. I think we're good.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I totally agree, especially that that's where to draw it. I just wouldn't be surprised if they decided the Hall of Fame was a necessity(although that might exclude Getzlaf).

But, Gigueres was the first one unofficially retired in a sense and Gibson switched to 36 for a reason. I think we're good.
You don’t think Getz will make the hall of fame?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You don’t think Getz will make the hall of fame?

I dunno, I think hes a borderline case and as such it might go either way. I'm thinking probably because of the championships, but his individual accomplishments don't look great on paper. A 2nd all star team and Hart nomination and that's about it. He's a much better player than that would indicate but could make it a tough call. Really hope he does, though.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I dunno, I think hes a borderline case and as such it might go either way. I'm thinking probably because of the championships, but his individual accomplishments don't look great on paper. A 2nd all star team and Hart nomination and that's about it. He's a much better player than that would indicate but could make it a tough call. Really hope he does, though.
Lack of personal awards is a reason I see it being 50/50.

But you'd have to think if he hits 1000 points in a relatively low scoring era of the NHL, he'll make it (especially factoring in all the Championships).

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

But you'd have to think if he hits 1000 points in a relatively low scoring era of the NHL, he'll make it (especially factoring in all the Championships).

He’ll need 1000. Right now he’s just hall of very good. Pretty hard to get into the hall without hitting that number if you have no personal hardware. Having to go up against a couple generational centers hasn’t helped his case.

Side note - Scotty has technically been with the franchise for 13 seasons now, if you include his coaching. You have to think that our success with young D has him to thank for at least some of that (yes, I know that’s got nothing to do with a jersey retirement)

Reactions: mightyquack
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That'll definitely be a big selling point and should also easily happen. 900 assists, which I don't think is completely out of reach, would seal the deal. He might need to play till 40 to do it but it's possible and would be very hard to ignore.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Ok, I'll ask this as a relatively new fan. Why should Giguere be a lock?
He should be a lock for the 2003 playoffs alone. Seriously, check that out.

He carried the team in the early 2000s and was a rock until around 2009ish.

Had probably the best peak of any ducks player ever, other than maybe nieds in 2006.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Let's be conservative and say Getzlaf averages 50 points per season the remainder of his contract. That would put him at 1025 points and he'd have just turned 36 years old. I think he can play until he's 38 or 39 so let's say the last 3 seasons he averages 40 points. That puts him at 1145.

That's being extremely conservative with things and I still think he gets into the hall of fame. If he puts up another 75-80 point year or two I think he becomes a lock

I think Perry has become an extreme long shot with the way his decline has gone. Yes, he has the hardware on Getzlaf, but I don't expect it to matter that much. When push comes to shove, Getzlaf will be remembered as the more dominant player here

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Giguere should be ahead of both these guys. I know he’s nowhere near being a HHOfer but his importance to this franchises playoff success is huge. Not a chance we get by Detroit in 07 without him and his 03 performance will probably stand up as the best playoff goaltending in franchise history.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Down the line I'd like to see Anaheim bring in a 'ring of honour' or something along those lines similar to what the Yankees have - where players who made big contributions to the franchise (but perhaps not enough for a jersey retirement) can still be honoured by the Ducks.

Would love to see that, I think that’s what the Cowboys have too?

You could honor Rucchin, Salei, Hebert, Gigure.. etc

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Giguere should be ahead of both these guys. I know he’s nowhere near being a HHOfer but his importance to this franchises playoff success is huge. Not a chance we get by Detroit in 07 without him and his 03 performance will probably stand up as the best playoff goaltending in franchise history.
Well, Kariya was out of a Ducks uniform long before either of these guys so I don't consider him getting retired first as him being "ahead" of Giguere. Realistically, this should have been done a while ago, but I can understand the organization wanting Teemu to be the first one retired (it just made it weird because he played so long lol).

I agree about Niedermayer. He wasn't here long enough and all the deep runs we went on with Nieds, Giguere was pivotal in those too

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I guess they are putting Captains now. But I would also put Giggy up there before Nieds.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with Kariya and Nieds this year if Giguere gets the next one solo. Because of the way Kariya left and the limited time Nieds was on the team, they deserve it but Giguere meant more and should have a season where he gets the lone retired number. I just would have done Giguere's this year and Kariya/Nieds next year.

Reactions: Kalv

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I agree with Kariya and Nieds this year if Giguere gets the next one solo. Because of the way Kariya left and the limited time Nieds was on the team, they deserve it but Giguere meant more and should have a season where he gets the lone retired number. I just would have done Giguere's this year and Kariya/Nieds next year.
Kariya had to be next after Samuelli brought it up. I would have done his solo this year, then had next year be the year of the conn smyth winners.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think giguere is a lock to have his # retired or else they would have given gibson #35 which was his usual number before the NHL

i know a lot of people (including myself) think jiggy should have had his # retired before scotty but let's not discount the major role niedermayer had in putting this team on the road to winning a cup

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Giguere should be a lock. Most likely this franchise will never have a goalie as good as him again, spending so many years with the team and winning as much.

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I didn’t want PK’s number retired until a year or two ago so glad it’s happening. I don’t like retiring Niedermayer’s number though. I understand why, but imo the only two numbers that should be retired are 8 & 9. Jiggy deserves his number retired more than Scotty, and I don’t think his should be retired either.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Do people think #10 will be retired one day?

I tend to think it will hang right next to #15

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Do people think #10 will be retired one day?

I tend to think it will hang right next to #15

Yes. It’s kind of why I don’t like 27 being up there. If its going up, 15 and 10 have to be up there eventually.

Edit: let me add that I’m more than happy to see 15 and 10 go up. Imo, much more deserving than Nieds.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->