Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I'm still in shock at that Step one-timer from the point on the powerplay. That game was ****ing awesome to watch.

That whole play was executed well. Nash with a nice pass across & back to the point. Yandel one-times it carefully (& smoothly) into Stepan's wheelhouse for the blast. It was like a pitch thrown during a home-run derby.

Beautiful.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Some numbers stuff with the 1 vs. 8 matchup in the first round since the lockout, since it seems like we are well on our way.

#1 seeds are 14-4, .778. Your chokers are the 2006 Wings vs. EDM, 2009 Sharks vs. ANA, 2010 Capitals vs. MTL, and 2012 Canucks vs. LAK. All President's Trophy winners :help:

Of those 14 series wins by the #1 seed, 11 where finished by the 6th game, 6 by the 5th game, and 1 sweep. Three went the limit. (2008 MTL/BOS, 2011 VAN/CHI, 2012 NYR/OTT)

Overall, the #1 seed is 64-40 in the first round. (.615)

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
However, I think the off-season thought process is going to change a lot regarding MSL and his place on the team.

Yeah, the Rangers will have a tough decision to make regarding whether or not to re-sign him. Martin loves NY, and told Tampa Bay for years that NY is the only team he would be traded to. Not unlike Jagr, he has stated during the season that he feels he can play in the NHL into his 40s.

With so much young talent on the Rangers and MSL being ineffective for long stretches....do we resign him at age 40? He's a $5.6 mil cap hit this year. Can you justify that again next year (of course not....no way)? How much less would he take?

As much as I appreciate MSL, some very heavy thinking will have to be done in the off season, regardless of how he performs in the playoffs. He is not our future.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd be perfectly ok with these lines going into the playoffs:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zucc-Brassard-Miller
Hags-Hayes-MSL
Sheppard-Moore-Fast

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
New York Rangers@NYRangers ·
#NYR are only team in the NHL in top 3 in:
P% (.697 -1)
DIFF (+54 -1)
W (46 -T-1)
PTS (99 -T-1)
ROW (42 -2)
GA/GP (2.22 -2)
G/GP (3.00 -3)

Cupcake Schedule, bro. This is unsustainable long term, it was only sustainable for 71 games, but in the long term, it can't continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i cant see anaheim getting past chicago or st louis in the playoffs. those teams are so much tighter defensively and difficult to play against.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Yeah, the Rangers will have a tough decision to make regarding whether or not to re-sign him. Martin loves NY, and told Tampa Bay for years that NY is the only team he would be traded to. Not unlike Jagr, he has stated during the season that he feels he can play in the NHL into his 40s.

With so much young talent on the Rangers and MSL being ineffective for long stretches....do we resign him at age 40? He's a $5.6 mil cap hit this year. Can you justify that again next year (of course not....no way)? How much less would he take?

As much as I appreciate MSL, some very heavy thinking will have to be done in the off season, regardless of how he performs in the playoffs. He is not our future.

Not looking to hijack thread so I will reply in the Roster Building thread

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zucc-Brassard-Miller
Hags-Hayes-MSL
Sheppard-Moore-Fast

I think that's what we'll see...

Miller-Brass-Zucc playing as well as Hagelin-Hayes-Fast, then there's no reason to break those lines apart, especially if Nash picks up his game playing with Kreider-Stepan.

When MSL returns, the only logical spot is the bottom 6, and you can't put him on the 4th line, so Fast will get bumped down and MSL will take his place.

Just praying that Glass only sees 1 game per series

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
That was fun :)

1240252459-00.jpg

yeah, just epic. :laugh:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
very impressive game last night. a statement game for sure. teams simply cannot contain our combination of team speed/size and bend but don't break defense. av looks like a genius right now.

the ducks are a big, physically imposing team and we made them look slow and exposed.

their goaltending hurt them but we ***** slapped both of their minders so thats good.

our team speed is devastating. when we are skating early and poling with confidence, we are a downright scary team. our non stop motion/forecheck and attacking style is hard to defend without getting tired. we made the ducks look ragged for stretches.

our ability to stitch the ice and make long passes to forwards coming thru the zones with speed is fun to watch. we created a ton of chances last night by getting to seams and getting guys free.

jesper fast looks really good right now. smart kid.

kevin hayes makes some of the most wonderful outlet passes. he has sublime hands. i was wrong about this kid when i said he wasn't gonna be an impact player before we acquired him. he's the real deal.

what happened to rick nash ? he doesnt even look like the same guy.

hard to argue with a 7-2 beating of one of the best teams in the west.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
very impressive game last night. a statement game for sure. teams simply cannot contain our combination of team speed/size and bend but don't break defense. av looks like a genius right now.

the ducks are a big, physically imposing team and we made them look slow and exposed.

their goaltending hurt them but we ***** slapped both of their minders so thats good.

our team speed is devastating. when we are skating early and poling with confidence, we are a downright scary team. our non stop motion/forecheck and attacking style is hard to defend without getting tired. we made the ducks look ragged for stretches.

our ability to stitch the ice and make long passes to forwards coming thru the zones with speed is fun to watch. we created a ton of chances last night by getting to seams and getting guys free.

kevin hayes makes some of the most wonderful outlet passes. he has sublime hands. i was wrong about this kid when i said he wasn't gonna be an impact player before we acquired him. he's the real deal.

So much to say about the offense last night, but let's not forget the Ducks had 1 shot through more than half of the second.

This team is firing on every possible cylinder right now.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zucc-Brassard-Miller
Hags-Hayes-MSL
Sheppard-Moore-Fast

I don't think it would be a killer but I'd rather get Nash back with Zucc and Brass. You have to jump start him. I'm just glad he's slumping pretty hard now rather than 10 games from now. Nash definitely cooled at the wrong time in 2013 and 2014. He's streaky and will always be streaky. I'm just glad that his play away from the puck has been so dynamite this year and the Rangers have shown plenty of ability to score without him. If you think Nash was the reason the Rangers lost the Final last year you are delusional. The Kings were a machine that would've been comfortable being down by 10. You just have to tip your cap.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
MSL should slot in with Hags-Hayes when he gets back. Fast has been solid, but MSL should be above him in the depth chart. A rested MSL going into the playoffs is going to be nice, hopefully make everyone forget about his sometime invisibility.

The biggest thing for Nash in these playoffs is very simple. His confidence. The biggest thing for Nash will be getting involved early. If he can score a goal in one of the first playoffs games, it's going to do wonders for him. No drought looming over his head, no monkey crawling back onto his back.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't think it would be a killer but I'd rather get Nash back with Zucc and Brass. You have to jump start him. I'm just glad he's slumping pretty hard now rather than 10 games from now. Nash definitely cooled at the wrong time in 2013 and 2014. He's streaky and will always be streaky. I'm just glad that his play away from the puck has been so dynamite this year and the Rangers have shown plenty of ability to score without him. If you think Nash was the reason the Rangers lost the Final last year you are delusional. The Kings were a machine that would've been comfortable being down by 10. You just have to tip your cap.

So would you swap Miller and Nash, or go back to the lines from two weeks ago?

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
So would you swap Miller and Nash, or go back to the lines from two weeks ago?

I'd go back to the lines two weeks ago.

Nash - Brass - Zucc
Kreids - Step - Marty
Hags - Hayes - Miller
Shepp - Moore - Fast

Zucc and Brass have been very adept at springing Nash this year and it looks like Stepan has shaken the bugaboo. I'm just not a big fan of experimenting this time of year. Yea... Miller and with Brass/Zucc has been nice for a couple games, but how many times have we seen a line catch a little lightning in the bottle only to fizzle out? GAS line, anybody?

I want to see the "regular" lines back together while you keep this Stepan/Yandle thing going on the PP.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Id go

Kreider Stepan Nash
Miller Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Hayes MSL
Shep Moore Fast

These lines are gunna be great cuz u can't just key on 2 lines ... It'll really test the opponents 2nd and 3rd pair and Hayes has been eating up those match ups lately so just put msl to shoot the puck and they'll produce more

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I would hope that we could rest Nash. I think he is playing through an injury. I agree that he doesn't look the same. The downside of being in such a tight race for the presidents trophy is that we likely won't be able to rest many guys once we get a playoff spot locked up. Home Ice advantage through the PO's is a huge deal (especially if we go to the SCF).

Best case scenario, we continue to dominate the entire NHL, have the trophy locked up with 2-3 games to go (considering we have games at hand on EVERYONE in the race) and we can rest people.

Next best case is we continue to play lights out hockey but other teams do as well and it comes down to the last game where we can't rest anyone.

Worst case scenario is going into a slump and falling out of contention for the trophy but being able to rest a few guys. Granted it isn't quite the same but I rather not have another scenario like 05-06.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Id go

Kreider Stepan Nash
Miller Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Hayes MSL
Shep Moore Fast

Like these Lines especially if Miller continues to click with Brassard and Zucc. He adds a little physicality to that line and we all know he does have some offensive instinct to work with those two guys. Also putting MSL on the line with hags and Hayes has to make sense doesn't it? hayes' incredible ability to pass and Hags/MSL both speedy and would create tons of pressure on opposing defenses

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I'm a little surprised the Ducks did not get chippy last night after they went down by 3. The Rangers really showed why they are a frustrating team to play. When they are their game you can't get anything started and your constantly worried about the Rangers speed on the break out or forecheck.

Liked the games from Miller, Yans and Boyle. Fast is really stepping up.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm a little surprised the Ducks did not get chippy last night after they went down by 3. The Rangers really showed why they are a frustrating team to play. When they are their game you can't get anything started and your constantly worried about the Rangers speed on the break out or forecheck.

Liked the games from Miller, Yans and Boyle. Fast is really stepping up.

They were petrified of Tanner Glass.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So much to say about the offense last night, but let's not forget the Ducks had 1 shot through more than half of the second.

This team is firing on every possible cylinder right now.

Whats scary about their run with Talbot is they haven't been firing on every cylinder.

Their D, PK and Goaltending have been spot on for the most part but the PP and PK have sucked. Last month the D and goaltending were pretty awful while the offense was killing it and from what I remember,the PP was solid.

They had everything working in unison during their 14-1 (14-0 sans Glass) and they straight up wrecked teams during that run. If they can get that happening again, Rangers opponents are ****ed.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Does that really happen anymore, where a team is literally great at everything? I guess LA's run last year.

Nah they were pretty bad during their run last year. Their run in 2012 and the way the Hawks played in 2013 are the last few times I can remember a team firing on all cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00