Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Ducks defense really doesn't look good enough for a deep cup run...and by that I mean they gave the Rangers a lot more space than other teams have been recently, even non playoff teams. After a slog of games where it seemed like every team had their players attached to the rangers players at the hip, or who would stack the slot so it was impossible to get anything to the front of the net, there just seemed like a lot of open ice last night. Their offense is quite scary at times and I'm sure they usually get better goaltending, but allowing that much space defensively seems like a recipe for disaster come playoffs. The Rangers got some bounces but that extra space made it possible.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I know it might not be popular here, but I'm really wanting the Panthers to slip in that 8th spot (don't see it happening though) Why? I live here in Pantherville. They could use the revenue and I'd be more than happy to give them my money in support of our Rangers.

Gonna be tough, man. Ottawa, along with the Rangers, is playing like the best team in the league right now. Very Ranger-like streak they are on and I think they will definitely over-take Boston. If Ottawa remains hot, you have to root for a Caps collapse and a major winning streak for the Panthers. I just don't see it happening for the Panthers. The Rangers could help by beating the Caps two times for you before the end of the season, and the Caps do have a tough schedule ahead....but the Panthers lack the offense to get anything done.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wow that was some crappy goaltending from both sides lol, nice with some goals scored as a change though.

Hopefully Talbot has done enough for the year soon.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Glass is part of the landscape. If anybody is not used to it by now, you should try to find peace and just accept it.
I am not a proponent of playing Tanner Glass, but I also am not pre-occupied with the situation.

As you were.

Disagree, I think people that cannot make a post without mentioning him are on to something.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
What makes me happiest about this game is the number of guys we have on the scoring sheet. All the three top lines contributed heavily (fourth line looked to be mostly used as an attempted break on Anaheims first line, and all fourth line players saw more icetime than for example Nash).

In short, we are a very deep team that is difficult to defend properly against, which gives me happy thoughts :D

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gonna be tough, man. Ottawa, along with the Rangers, is playing like the best team in the league right now. Very Ranger-like streak they are on and I think they will definitely over-take Boston. If Ottawa remains hot, you have to root for a Caps collapse and a major winning streak for the Panthers. I just don't see it happening for the Panthers. The Rangers could help by beating the Caps two times for you before the end of the season, and the Caps do have a tough schedule ahead....but the Panthers lack the offense to get anything done.

The question on Ottawa is whether the last two games where they gave up a total of 7 goals was a blip or an indication that the wheels are beginning to come off the wagon. It's a fascinating story to watch.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The question on Ottawa is whether the last two games where they gave up a total of 7 goals was a blip or an indication that the wheels are beginning to come off the wagon. It's a fascinating story to watch.

agreed. I think they surged a bit because of Hammond, and they should have, because he's a solid goaltender...

I think if he continues to get better, Anderson gets put on the market. I can see OTT doing that.

Regardless, I don't see OTT getting out of the 2nd round of the playoffs..

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Didn't watch the 3rd period. Wow, destroying the Ducks 7-2 without Lundy, Klein and MSL and with Nash slumping. You can't make this **** up. Amaze balls.

Gotta run L.A. out of the building tomorrow. :)

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Not sure if it was mentioned, but a tiny observation, but do you guys think we were kinda holding back in the Canes game and just let it all go against Anaheim? It's odd how we could look so terrible against one team, and then look so dominant against another the night after. It's almost like we were conserving energy for the game against the tougher opponent...

This game was all about the Duck's goaltending. this game should have been much closer than it was. The Rangers got some cheapies.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
This game was all about the Duck's goaltending. this game should have been much closer than it was. The Rangers got some cheapies.

Defense was crap, too. Not saying goaltending wasn't either but it's not like they had help in there.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wow was I wrong about JT miller 2k2. At the start of the season I didn't see much from him. He has turned it on and isn't looking back.

Hey we've all been wrong about guys. I once said that Dan Girardi had no business in the NHL and said that Zucc was a career Euro-leaguer. These are the instances where we're all happy to be wrong, LOL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This was a post of me yesterday in a Rangers group on Facebook hours before the game..... :facepalm:

c0sbQvt.png

TFO2lKO.png

Save to say, during the game they would not let it go. Stepan and Miller with goals and us beating the Ducks 7-2...

The game was amazing. I missed the first 10 because I was driving home after work but watched it on delay. What a game. Hayes deserves a goal. That man is our best center by far and is playing like freaking Messier out there. There was a moment in the 2nd period where he got the puck at the blueline and we were on a line change. Instead of dumping the puck in, he waits, turns and passes it east-west to Sheppard which resulted in continuous pressure and shots on goal. Hayes is something special.

Glad Brassard got a goal as well. He needed that. This game was so amazing. Yandle with 3 assists to go with his amazing play of the last weeks and Talbot robbing Perry was the icing on the (cup)cake.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Miller has game-breaking talent and you need that sometimes in your bottom 6. In the playoffs you are going to play these tight-checking games where every inch of ice is contested and it seems that any goal scored will take a 5-minute grind of momentum going your way followed by a 2 minute stay in the offensive zone with a guy like Kreider banging home garbage.

Miller reminds me of Dubinsky in a way. Does anyone remember the goal Dubi scored against WSH in the 2009 ECQF late in a tie game where he made a sick move around the D-man and roofed one on Varlamov? (or was it Theodore? Whatever.) Miller is the type of player that can do that. At some point in this playoffs the score is going to be 0-0 or 1-1 in the 3rd with not one inch of ice available to anyone (especially our stars) and then all the sudden Miller is going to find a little space off a pass from Hayes and rip a sick shot for what might be all of 1 or 2 goals he scores in the postseason.

^this is called depth and you need it or you are screwed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Miller also has that swagger and edge. He's not fun to play against. I like having him in the lineup. He's a pain in the ass like Kreider. We could use another guy like him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hey we've all been wrong about guys. I once said that Dan Girardi had no business in the NHL and said that Zucc was a career Euro-leaguer. These are the instances where we're all happy to be wrong, LOL.

I've been wrong enough times that I stopped making definite statements about prospects.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm still in shock at that Step one-timer from the point on the powerplay. That game was ****ing awesome to watch.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I'm still in shock at that Step one-timer from the point on the powerplay. That game was ****ing awesome to watch.

That's exactly where Step belongs on the PP. When Marty comes back slot him into his spot on the right circle for Kreids or Nash on the top unit because they have basically the same role.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm always hesitant to react to wins like this against top teams. I watched the first period and did not get the feeling that we were running them out of the building, or that they were some dominant team either. The Getzlaf/Perry combo is always going to pin teams deep and for the most part I liked the way we kept them to the perimeter. When those guys were out there, the Ducks looked real good, but they were contained.

For me, the game got interrupted by The Walking Dead so I didn't get to see the 2nd period or some of the start of the 3rd.

I liked that we kept the pressure on throughout the game and only played keep away with a minute left in the 3rd.

A few things I am 100% impressed with:

- Missing the teams 2nd line RW, 2nd pairing RD and starting goalie, this game was ripe for the taking for Anaheim. The fact that the Rangers did what they did last night is crazy.

- The bigger the game, the better this team plays. It's something that I'm not thrilled with against the Canes and Sabres, but still getting W's against those teams is nice. Would prefer to see better efforts against those teams. However what this shows me is that when the PO's roll around, the Rangers are going to be a tough SOB team to eliminate.

- Miller with Brass and Zuke - He fits. Leave him there.

- Fast with Hayes and Hagelin - He fits. Leave him there.

- Kreider - Stepan - Nash seems to be getting that old feeling back amongst them.

Which poses a REAL problem. What to do with MSL when he gets healthy? Do you play MSL with Sheppard and Moore on the 4th line?

Not saying that it is the best move, but I have a feeling Fast is getting demoted to the 4th line for the rest of the season and playoffs (when MSL gets healthy).

However, I think the off-season thought process is going to change a lot regarding MSL and his place on the team.

Big win, taking over #1 in the league with 11 games to go.

a few mile stones that are attainable for this team.

Wins record for a single season is 52 - we can break that this year.

If we do break that record with 53 wins, we break the single season points record of 113.

This team has been on as an impressive run as I can remember any team other than the Wings in 95-96

insane

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Miller has game-breaking talent and you need that sometimes in your bottom 6. In the playoffs you are going to play these tight-checking games where every inch of ice is contested and it seems that any goal scored will take a 5-minute grind of momentum going your way followed by a 2 minute stay in the offensive zone with a guy like Kreider banging home garbage.

Miller reminds me of Dubinsky in a way. Does anyone remember the goal Dubi scored against WSH in the 2009 ECQF late in a tie game where he made a sick move around the D-man and roofed one on Varlamov? (or was it Theodore? Whatever.) Miller is the type of player that can do that. At some point in this playoffs the score is going to be 0-0 or 1-1 in the 3rd with not one inch of ice available to anyone (especially our stars) and then all the sudden Miller is going to find a little space off a pass from Hayes and rip a sick shot for what might be all of 1 or 2 goals he scores in the postseason.

^this is called depth and you need it or you are screwed.

Then there was this one two years later.

Loved Dubi.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I wonder if Hank will be back in time to get win #30 (needs a few more, right?).

Vickers8

New York Rangers@NYRangers ·
#NYR are only team in the NHL in top 3 in:
P% (.697 -1)
DIFF (+54 -1)
W (46 -T-1)
PTS (99 -T-1)
ROW (42 -2)
GA/GP (2.22 -2)
G/GP (3.00 -3)

Status
Not open for further replies.