Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
What are you guys seeing

That`s very optimistic.
I think Steel s a high end 3C or a good 2C at best. Lundestrom doubt will end up as a top6 center.
Zegras hopefully a 1C

Unfortunately I haven`t seen that much of an evidence that would make me reasonably expect more.

What do you guys see in McLaughlin? I haven`t followed him but many of you seem excited.
He scored 5 goals in his rookie season in NCAA

If Masch was quite optimistic, you certainly are pessimistic. While I don’t like predicting any prospect to be a 1C (outside of #1-2 overall picks), I certainly see all of Zegras, Steel, and Lunderstrom having that ceiling. While the most likely outcome for them is somewhere on 2/3rd lines, they all have the potential.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Having a "true" 1c doesn't guarantee success just as not having a "true" 1c doesn't guarantee failure. St Louis and Boston were in the SC finals and neither team has what would be considered a "true" 1c. LA and Anaheim both have "true" 1c's and they both missed the playoffs. The key is to have depth at the center position and in Zegras, Steel, Groulx, and Lundestrom the Ducks now have it for the future. Every one of them brings something different to the table and that is important as well.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
What are you guys seeing

That`s very optimistic.
I think Steel s a high end 3C or a good 2C at best. Lundestrom doubt will end up as a top6 center.
Zegras hopefully a 1C

Unfortunately I haven`t seen that much of an evidence that would make me reasonably expect more.

What do you guys see in McLaughlin? I haven`t followed him but many of you seem excited.
Here's evidence that Steel has 1C potential:
2016-2017: CHL top scorer and WHL MVP
2017-2018: WJC gold and Memorial Cup MVP
2018-2019: 20 goals in the regular AHL season; 0.5PPG in small sample size of NHL games; nearly PPG in the AHL playoffs

Honestly, I don't think we could ask any more from Steel over the past three seasons. He has been the bonafide 1C for every team he's played on over the past three years (minus the Ducks) and not looked out of place. Should his development curve continue, there's no reason to think he doesn't have 1C potential. What may hold him back is whether or not he receives the 1C opportunity now that Zegras is in the fold.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Don't think Steel will ever be a 1C, he will be a Krecji type if he pans out imo.

In terms of play style

Steel - Krecji/poor man Giroux
Lundestrom - poor man Bergeron
Zegras - better skating poor man backstrom
Groulx - Winnik type

Good mixture of prospects for sure.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Here's evidence that Steel has 1C potential:
2016-2017: CHL top scorer and WHL MVP
2017-2018: WJC gold and Memorial Cup MVP
2018-2019: 20 goals in the regular AHL season; 0.5PPG in small sample size of NHL games; nearly PPG in the AHL playoffs

Honestly, I don't think we could ask any more from Steel over the past three seasons. He has been the bonafide 1C for every team he's played on over the past three years (minus the Ducks) and not looked out of place. Should his development curve continue, there's no reason to think he doesn't have 1C potential. What may hold him back is whether or not he receives the 1C opportunity now that Zegras is in the fold.
You`re not wrong, I guess I`m just a bit skeptical for some reason - would like to see him more.
For comparison, Rakell had better numbers than Steel in AHL. Steel plays more complete game and is a center - which is harder to do, but lacks in size, which I think will be a struggle for him. Rakell can bull through some people (although it was very clear he wasn`t able to do it in his first years, when he wasn`t as effective in the NHL). Thus I think he will struggle to be a 1C. How many 1Cs there are in the league below 6ft besides Crosby?

I am excited about Steel, of course. But I just won`t hold my breath for him to become a true #1C - I expect him to be a good 2C

PS
Andy Mac was playing like 1C and was even shorter than Steel, but wasn`t he clearly a better skater?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think steel will end up a 2c, with flashes of being able to be a 1c... people that say 3c prob don't watch him all that much tbh.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Having a "true" 1c doesn't guarantee success just as not having a "true" 1c doesn't guarantee failure. St Louis and Boston were in the SC finals and neither team has what would be considered a "true" 1c. LA and Anaheim both have "true" 1c's and they both missed the playoffs. The key is to have depth at the center position and in Zegras, Steel, Groulx, and Lundestrom the Ducks now have it for the future. Every one of them brings something different to the table and that is important as well.
I absolutely agree about depth but ROR and Bergeron are both elite two way centers, regular Selke finalists. ROR was slightly below PPG but Bergy was over PPG centers during the regular seasons. True 1C definitions veries but imo both teams 1C`s played a huge role in their runs.
Both are 6`1 with size. Big, strong top centermen have been a always a part of the SC champions squads recently. Sid is below 6ft but he have Malkin behind him.
Not that your center MUST be over 6`1 to win a Stanley Cup but that seems to be a big piece of what successfull teams have had.

But hey, we all know that we just shouldn`t go out there and try to copy-paste the cup winners like we have had in some years :laugh:
I`m all for developping our guys and all but I doubt our top 3 centers in 3 years will be Zegras-Steel-Lundestrom :)

Reactions: JabbaJabba

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Don't think Steel will ever be a 1C, he will be a Krecji type if he pans out imo.

In terms of play style

Steel - Krecji/poor man Giroux
Lundestrom - poor man Bergeron
Zegras - better skating poor man backstrom
Groulx - Winnik type

Good mixture of prospects for sure.

Krejci has been a guy who can put up 1C type numbers when utilized as #2 guy, and I can see that for Steel.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I absolutely agree about depth but ROR and Bergeron are both elite two way centers, regular Selke finalists. ROR was slightly below PPG but Bergy was over PPG centers during the regular seasons. True 1C definitions veries but imo both teams 1C`s played a huge role in their runs.
Both are 6`1 with size. Big, strong top centermen have been a always a part of the SC champions squads recently. Sid is below 6ft but he have Malkin behind him.
Not that your center MUST be over 6`1 to win a Stanley Cup but that seems to be a big piece of what successfull teams have had.

But hey, we all know that we just shouldn`t go out there and try to copy-paste the cup winners like we have had in some years :laugh:
I`m all for developping our guys and all but I doubt our top 3 centers in 3 years will be Zegras-Steel-Lundestrom :)

Yeah, it depends on what a person's definition of a 1c is. The target seems to be a moving one. ROR is a great hockey player but no one thought he was a 1c heading into this year. He was, in fact, the prototypical 2c. Same with Bergeron. And I would argue they are both better suited for being elite 2c guys but the lines are blurry. Thornton, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Schieffle, et al are thought of as 1c types because of their combination of size and talent. But the Ducks haven't been in a position to draft one of those since Getzlaf and who knows when the next opportunity might be. Considering where the organization was just a year ago on young center depth, I think we should be thrilled to have 4 diverse prospects all 21 or under who WILL play in the NHL. How they all shake out is for the future to decide but I'm pretty optimistic.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Zegras
Steel
Terry
Comtois
Lundestrom
Jones
Dostal
Larsson
Guhle
Mahura
???
Sherwood
???

The rest are either mystery boxes still or have yet to elevate themselves beyond the 'tweener zone (either due to lack of progression or lack of opportunity).

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Mine would be something like this, with Steel above Comtois, and McLaughlin above Groulx

I've gone back and forth on those two so much. Think they're both solid prospects and crazy that they're fighting for the 10th spot.

Edit: Groulx and McLaughlin I mean if that wasn't obvious

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I've gone back and forth on those two so much. Think they're both solid prospects and crazy that they're fighting for the 10th spot.

Edit: Groulx and McLaughlin I mean if that wasn't obvious
It's a good problem to have

Another guy who I'm seeing on zero of these lists who I think has potential to make some noise is Perbix, who was one of the youngest players in his draft.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
What are you guys seeing

That`s very optimistic.
Zegras hopefully a 1C

I just think that is their upside, not their can't miss level. The way Sam played between Rakell und Silfverberg was already #2 center caliber.

Regarding McLaughlin, strong numbers on a junior und senior heavy team. He will only get better when his body comes around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Krejci has also been a guy who's been the #1 guy and on a Stanley Cup champion to boot.
Life is ALOT easier when you have the best defensive center (or one of them) of all time. We don't have that guy or anywhere close.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I was just starting to wonder yesterday why everyone seems low on Steel . He has the high end smarts and skill of a potential top line playmaking center and it wouldn't even shock me if he turned out better than Zegras. I actually really love his potential

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I was just starting to wonder yesterday why everyone seems low on Steel . He has the high end smarts and skill of a potential top line playmaking center and it wouldn't even shock me if he turned out better than Zegras. I actually really love his potential
The goal he scored against Markstrom on the penalty shot was indicative of the type of skill he has. Also made numerous other plays indicative of significant skill and headiness. At the end of the day, it was only 22 games, and tough to go off of a few nice plays here and there, but I feel very confident in saying he has at least 2nd line C potential.

Zegras is less of a known commodity, but a lot of experts seem to think we got a real good player. I suspect we'll get a much better idea this next season once we have more data and watch his progression as a member of BU.

Reactions: Mallard

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think this year is a huge make or break year for Steel.
Getzlaf will be taking a lesser role. There isnt too much pressure on Steel. There isn't anyone biting at his heals if he struggles for a little bit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
To me the reason why I am looking carefully at him (not saying he's a bad prospect, god no) is he is not too big. He is not super fast, not super slick with his moves - he's good at those things but not amazing. He will be a usefull player no doubt (I love lov smart he is, ot will take him places), but 1C is a very elite company and for now I just don't see it.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think this year is a huge make or break year for Steel.
Getzlaf will be taking a lesser role. There isnt too much pressure on Steel. There isn't anyone biting at his heals if he struggles for a little bit.

He's barely 21 so I wouldn't call it that type of year. I was always worried watching him in previous camps that he wasn't explosive or strong enough, but I really liked what I saw from him at the end of last year. I think he took a really big step forward in his skating and was much stronger on the puck which gave him more time to use his strong creativity. I also liked that he was much better defensively than expected. He seemed like he was confident and I'm sure he will carry that into next year with his familiarity with Eakins. My guess is he gets 14-18 goals and 25-30 assists next year with plenty of PP time, so roughly 40+ points... if we trade Rico he might develop faster.

He's got a solid chance to be a underrated 2nd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad