Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Recency bias. The fact that Drysdale is 17 and Clarke is 7 is a joke. Drysdale was better pre draft and had as good of a d+1 as you can ask for.
And Clarke's skating is mediocre and needs alot of work, Drysdale can skate circles around him lol

Reactions: Kalv

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Ducks’ rankings in Wheeler’s top 50 drafted prospects (excluding goalies, which he will list tomorrow):
#4 Zegras
#17 Drysdale (also mentioned he considered him as high as #12)
#21 McTavish (Wheeler said he’s bumped him up since the draft after being impressed by him at the WJSS)

NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking

i don't care much about the ranking, it is all personal opinion. More what he says about players. Johnsson being the most productive of the whole list if he works out is also very optimistic imho.

That is also interesting.

(For what it’s worth: I also recently learned that McTavish was the Blue Jackets’ target at fifth overall, so even if the Ducks didn’t take him, he wasn’t ever going to be around where I had him ranked.)

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Wheeler has finally (somewhat) come around on Dostal, ranking him 7th among all drafted goalie prospects. Here is his write-up:
I’ve been cautious with my evaluations on Dostal over the years. He’s a skinny, smallish goalie who I’ve seen play some ugly games live and I think I’ve allowed those perceptions to linger a little too much. Over time, though, he has really turned me not just with his play but with the resume he has built for himself across several years and leagues. That continued last year out of Liiga and into the AHL. He’s not a very powerful goalie in the net given his size, but he’s agile through his shuffles, his control in the net is pristine on his outside edges, he stays with the play through screens, he’s compact in his movements and he makes a lot of recovery saves. I’m not convinced he’s going to be a starter, but it’s not hard to imagine him as a good tandem goalie at this point and he comfortably projects as a backup at the very least.

Reactions: Kalv and Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Wheeler has finally (somewhat) come around on Dostal, ranking him 7th among all drafted goalie prospects. Here is his write-up:

that’s pretty good considering the run of good goalie prospects league wide.

he has dostal in the second tier alongside cossa , wolf and swayman

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
that’s pretty good considering the run of good goalie prospects league wide.

he has dostal in the second tier alongside cossa , wolf and swayman
Cossa should be in the first tier but yeah, I think the other two ahead of (in his own teir) Dostal are justifiable.

Reactions: Boo Boo
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It’s just so weird that Wheeler is just now coming around on Dostal. He’s seen some ‘ugly’ games? Did he not realize he won the Liiga award for best goalie? He was the best at his position in a top-4 league in the world.

I swear if he was a ‘big market’ prospect, there would be non-stop coverage of the guy.

One of the reasons I stopped my subscription to the Athletic. Some of their writers show extreme bias on who they like.

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
It seems as if the tickets are only available for the games at Gila River, bummer if we can’t attend the events at Ice Den

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It’s just so weird that Wheeler is just now coming around on Dostal. He’s seen some ‘ugly’ games? Did he not realize he won the Liiga award for best goalie? He was the best at his position in a top-4 league in the world.

I swear if he was a ‘big market’ prospect, there would be non-stop coverage of the guy.

One of the reasons I stopped my subscription to the Athletic. Some of their writers show extreme bias on who they like.

IIRC, Wheeler is height biased to Dostal. In his previous rankings, he docked Dostal from his top-10 because of his height, but put in another goalie of the same height in the top-10, but wasn't as productive as Dostal. Okay, Wheeler might also be NA biased too with height.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
IIRC, Wheeler is height biased to Dostal. In his previous rankings, he docked Dostal from his top-10 because of his height, but put in another goalie of the same height in the top-10, but wasn't as productive as Dostal. Okay, Wheeler might also be NA biased too with height.

Wolf is a great great young goalie prospect but basically yeah

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Yotes website now says the other prospect game will have tickets released later

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Recency bias. The fact that Drysdale is 17 and Clarke is 7 is a joke. Drysdale was better pre draft and had as good of a d+1 as you can ask for.
Slightly offtopic but recency bias in in full mode in the Mian Boards Draisaitl thread currently being revoked. In 2015 a lot of people were saying Hanifin is ways better than Draisaitl. Lol.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Agreed. 18-year old Drysdale did struggle after a hot start in the NHL and that's what probably knocked him down the rankings. If Drysdale stayed in the AHL level, then he might be earning higher praises as he might have continued winning more Rookie of the Month awards.

Similarly, this is how a majority of Ducks fans feel about Tracey. 19-year old Tracey didn't produce any points at the AHL level and Ducks fans stopped caring at that point. Yet, once the WHL opened up again and Tracey was sent down to his WHL team, he led his team in scoring and was very productive on the PP, 12 points (6g + 6a) came on the PP out of his 19 point total. There's talent in Tracey, but it is really difficult to overcome the optics of not producing at point in 12 AHL games.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Agreed. 18-year old Drysdale did struggle after a hot start in the NHL and that's what probably knocked him down the rankings. If Drysdale stayed in the AHL level, then he might be earning higher praises as he might have continued winning more Rookie of the Month awards.

Similarly, this is how a majority of Ducks fans feel about Tracey. 19-year old Tracey didn't produce any points at the AHL level and Ducks fans stopped caring at that point. Yet, once the WHL opened up again and Tracey was sent down to his WHL team, he led his team in scoring and was very productive on the PP, 12 points (6g + 6a) came on the PP out of his 19 point total. There's talent in Tracey, but it is really difficult to overcome the optics of not producing at point in 12 AHL games.
It helped a lot that Tracey is 2 years older than vast majority of WHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad