Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
My personal Pre season watchlist (kinda ranked and privy to change):

San Diego Gulls: Perreault, Tracey, Helleson, Andersson, Lopina, Mcaughlin, king, Etc.

Harvard: Thrun, Moore, Callow

Gatineau: Warren, Luneau

Saginaw: Mintyukov

Everett: Zellweger

Guelph: Pastujov

Minnesota: LaCombe

Calgary: Tschigerl

Sherbrooke: Hinds

Northeastern: Colangelo

Swift Current: Hvidston
Callow is up in the air. Ive seen reports he's going to play in the USHL for a year and reports he's going straight to Harvard.

Also, I'm hoping Will Francis gets regular playing time in Duluth next season. They had an extremely good squad last year and it was hard for him to break into the lineup after missing so much time, but the coaching staff holds him in high regard.

Also not sure on the status of Trevor Janicke. Aren't his rights up soon? Maybe that is next year, he was a 2019 draftee. With no news of signing him I'm assuming he's headed back for his senior year at Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I can’t see how you can combine both positions into one major ranking. Offense and defense plays so differently.

With the amount of depth that we have on defense, it’s probably better to have them on a separate list. Minty is definitely in the conversation as a number one.

Again, I’m just worried about Zel and his size.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Callow is up in the air. Ive seen reports he's going to play in the USHL for a year and reports he's going straight to Harvard.

Also, I'm hoping Will Francis gets regular playing time in Duluth next season. They had an extremely good squad last year and it was hard for him to break into the lineup after missing so much time, but the coaching staff holds him in high regard.

Also not sure on the status of Trevor Janicke. Aren't his rights up soon? Maybe that is next year, he was a 2019 draftee. With no news of signing him I'm assuming he's headed back for his senior year at Notre Dame.
Maybe I'm just reaching but they tweeted this in mid-May and I don't think they'd word this the way they did if he wasn't certainly coming back

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Love this guys videos; surprised how much he knows about each team he talks about the Ducks at 1 hr: 33 mins: 43 seconds

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Mintyukov
Mctavish
Zellweger
Dostal
Luneau
Gaucher
Perreault
Moore
Lopina
Thrun

So, yeah. I like Mctavish a lot, but I believe Mintykov will be the most dynamic defensman this team has seen since Niedermayer and the most dynamic we have ever drafted. I think if he hits his ceiling he will have the effect on the back end that Zegras does up front, in fact this to me is the Zegras defenseman pick.

The parallels are uncanny; seen as almost too flashy for his own good, questioned for his aggressive nature, some light skating concerns, but undeniably confident, dictates play, and one of if not the most creative player in the draft. I think this kid is going to be an absolute home run.

Couple other notes: The list is more who I think will be the most impactful in our lineup. I think Luneau is going to be in our top four as a jack-of-all trades dman for a long time. I think Gaucher has lower upside than Perreault, but is going to consistently be a difference-maker in the lineup for us in a way Perreault has not shown. Think Max Jones with better hands and not injured.

I am a huge believer in Ian Moore. He is such a ball of clay but took big strides this year for Harvard, aided by playing with a steady partner in Thrun who I can see becoming our new age Sean Odonnell.

Lopina may seem out of place, but he was trusted and elevated quickly in San Diego in a way that is rare for a new pro. He may only be a fourth line center but I think he becomes a mainstay Pker and big time matchup player in the not too distant future.

I am not sold on Pastujov. I think he has special hands but his pace is going to be too slow for him to overcome. I like Tracey a lot, but his game is suited for down low and I dont think he has the frame to sustain that. His skating isn't good enough to be a purely skilled player, either. I hope I'm wrong there.

I don't have a good read on Warren. He has athletic traits that we can drool over, but will he be able to play with the puck enough to be in the lineup effectively? He is the most likely to make this list look bad.

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Reactions: Static and Kalv

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Mintyukov
Mctavish
Zellweger
Dostal
Luneau
Gaucher
Perreault
Moore
Lopina
Thrun

So, yeah. I like Mctavish a lot, but I believe Mintykov will be the most dynamic defensman this team has seen since Niedermayer and the most dynamic we have ever drafted. I think if he hits his ceiling he will have the effect on the back end that Zegras does up front, in fact this to me is the Zegras defenseman pick.

The parallels are uncanny; seen as almost too flashy for his own good, questioned for his aggressive nature, some light skating concerns, but undeniably confident, dictates play, and one of if not the most creative player in the draft. I think this kid is going to be an absolute home run.

Couple other notes: The list is more who I think will be the most impactful in our lineup. I think Luneau is going to be in our top four as a jack-of-all trades dman for a long time. I think Gaucher has lower upside than Perreault, but is going to consistently be a difference-maker in the lineup for us in a way Perreault has not shown. Think Max Jones with better hands and not injured.

I am a huge believer in Ian Moore. He is such a ball of clay but took big strides this year for Harvard, aided by playing with a steady partner in Thrun who I can see becoming our new age Sean Odonnell.

Lopina may seem out of place, but he was trusted and elevated quickly in San Diego in a way that is rare for a new pro. He may only be a fourth line center but I think he becomes a mainstay Pker and big time matchup player in the not too distant future.

I am not sold on Pastujov. I think he has special hands but his pace is going to be too slow for him to overcome. I like Tracey a lot, but his game is suited for down low and I dont think he has the frame to sustain that. His skating isn't good enough to be a purely skilled player, either. I hope I'm wrong there.

I don't have a good read on Warren. He has athletic traits that we can drool over, but will he be able to play with the puck enough to be in the lineup effectively? He is the most likely to make this list look bad.

I've been trying to talk myself down on having Mintyukov over McTavish so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that way. He's more boom/bust but I think he has legitimate #1D potential whereas I'm still not 100% sure that McTavish is a first liner in the NHL vs a very good second liner.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I remember watching a Ducks game and realizing that there was a player younger than me on the team for the first time. It was Vitaly Vishnevski.

I went to the draft in Ottawa in 07 and realized that it would technically be my draft if I was remotely good enough (late bday so players were all my age or a year younger). Ended up meeting most of the top picks and getting autographs (Stamkos, Doughty, Pietrangelo etc) but it was kinda weird.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
So, post draft, which players are/have a chance of going to the WJC?

Luneau and Gaucher are invites to Canada's U20 camp. Russia is not invited iirc so that leaves off Mintyukov. I'm not seeing any returning players names on the list but Zellweger and McTavish would both be locks if they're available.

Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So, post draft, which players are/have a chance of going to the WJC?
McTavish and zellweger are returnees for Canada, Moore and pastujov for the United States. Gaucher, Hinds, Luneau, and Tschigerl were invited to Canada's camp. Mintyukov will probably not be invited to Russia's team because of his decision to play in the OHL, they don't like that.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
McTavish and zellweger are returnees for Canada, Moore and pastujov for the United States. Gaucher, Hinds, Luneau, and Tschigerl were invited to Canada's camp. Mintyukov will probably not be invited to Russia's team because of his decision to play in the OHL, they don't like that.
Oh OK, thanks. I was mostly curious about Minty because of everything surrounding Russia.

Reactions: Static

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Luneau and Gaucher got invited but no Warren? That’s a bit disappointing
Its surprising because Canada typically loves to bring a guy with Warren's skillset, but Luneau has been considered the best player in his age group in Quebec for years so hockey Canada still likely views him ahead. A strong start to the season for Warren could land him there.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Its surprising because Canada typically loves to bring a guy with Warren's skillset, but Luneau has been considered the best player in his age group in Quebec for years so hockey Canada still likely views him ahead. A strong start to the season for Warren could land him there.
Warren is pretty young, still 17. He still has to work on play with the puck, etc. So I guess they don't feel ge is ready with that. I doubt they question his physical tools :laugh: but, yeah, weird.

Anyway, here's a timely reminder that Drysdale would be eligible for this summer one as well :laugh:

Reactions: Goose of Reason

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I read he throws big hits but a lot of the reviews I've seen said he's too nice and could be meaner.... Hope he develops into that

Reactions: lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad