GDT: Ducks @ Predators 10.22 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
Freddie's never been near the top five and has had only one good season himself.

True, but he hasn't had a chance to do more. It's the way it works in a lot of fields - if you haven't proven yourself a failure, it's better even if you haven't proven much.

His 13-14 season was much butter than "just okay". As I said, it's better than anything Andersen has done up until now, and there's no guranatees for linear progression. We're trying to win now, too, so playing the guy that gives you the better chance is the obvious mantra.

It's a proven formula when you have a top goalie. When you don't, it's no better than a tandem.

There's no reason to believe that for this season, Khudobin can't be the guy, but Freddie can.

That's absurd. Holtby was an incredibly young and far inferior goalie back then. If we'd get to have a guy at Holtby's level right now, Boudreau would play him just like that. But we don't.

Yeah, I don't see that comparision, whatsoever. Especially between Khudobin and Gibson, the difference in style is pretty vast.

I just don't see him as a very good goalie, and it's not from his time in Anaheim or anything. I just don't buy him as what you say.

Look at his THN scounting report - hardly definitive at all and not always up to date but it still gives you an idea of what you've got.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?4642

Scouting Report
Assets: Has an abundance of puck-stopping ability. Is cool under pressure and plenty agile. Can put up great statistics at lower levels.
Flaws: Is wildly inconsistent, which hinders his National Hockey League value. Also lacks the ideal size for a goalkeeper at the highest level.
Career Potential: Talented but inconsistent goaltender with a little upside.

Andersen has posted better numbers all throughout his career than this guy. He's also 6'4, which is basically the trend with goalies these days.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Yeah...so if the twins could see fit to get on the board tonight, that would be great.

Not worried about the goalie thing yet. Let's see who Brucey decides to start on Saturday & then start to panic.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I just don't see him as a very good goalie, and it's not from his time in Anaheim or anything. I just don't buy him as what you say.

Look at his THN scounting report - hardly definitive at all and not always up to date but it still gives you an idea of what you've got.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?4642

Scouting Report
Assets: Has an abundance of puck-stopping ability. Is cool under pressure and plenty agile. Can put up great statistics at lower levels.
Flaws: Is wildly inconsistent, which hinders his National Hockey League value. Also lacks the ideal size for a goalkeeper at the highest level.
Career Potential: Talented but inconsistent goaltender with a little upside.
I don't care too much for sports site scouting reports - as a goalie, I'll take my chances with what I see in a goalie before most public scouting reports. That said, that profile is quite decent for how short it's trying to be. It's an old one, I'm sure, but it's still pretty on. And to be honest, not sure why that would make you feel more cautious. An "abundance of puck-stopping ability" is a pretty rave review. He's had some consistency issues, but it has generally gotten better since he got to Boston. Last season the Canes were a mess and it got to his confidence, unfortunately. We'll see how he handles his consistency here, behind what should sooner rather than later be a much more stable and helpful supporting cast.

Andersen has posted better numbers all throughout his career than this guy.
Better numbers overall, but he had the fortune of playing behind strong teams. Khudobin's bad numbers came from worse Wild and rather terrible Canes teams. It tends to have an impact on goalie stats.

He's also 6'4, which is basically the trend with goalies these days.
That's ideally how I want my goalie to be, as well. He checks a lot of boxes. Khudobin isn't fitting my blueprint for a perfect goalie too well, but he's so quick that he can challenge to make up for the size difference in many situations. More movement means more room for error, so that can be a problem when he isn't at his best, but when Freddie's not at his best, that isn't saving him, either, and he has areas where he isn't as strong as Khudobin. I prefer Andersen's style (well, I actually prefer Gibson's style over both, but he isn't at the overall level just yet), but Andersen has not shown to be so good that Khudobin can't be better even given his limitations.

I wouldn't mind Freddie showing he actually is on another level, obviously. But I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Carl Hagelin-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry

Andrew Cogliano-Ryan Kesler-Jakob Silfverberg

Jiri Sekac-Rickard Rakell-Mike Santorelli

Patrick Maroon-Shawn Horcoff-Chris Stewart

Hampus Lindholm-Kevin Bieksa

Cam Fowler-Josh Manson

Clayton Stoner-Sami Vatanen

god I hate these lines.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I would also maybe play Khudobin if he had strong game in his pocket. But he was just swimming around and had his luckiest game in his career.

So, what do the fancy stats say here? Is that type of luck sustainable?

Oct 18, 2011
khudobin won and played well in the last start, bruce is on the hot seat so it's not surprising
khudobin has a career .919 save % so he's not a bum guys.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
khudobin won and played well in the last start, bruce is on the hot seat so it's not surprising
khudobin has a career .919 save % so he's not a bum guys.

I thought he was decent. Freddy's had better games. Sure only 1 goal was recorded but there were multiple shots that beat the goalie and rang off the bar or went through Khudobin and he was swimming a bit.
Khudobin looked better in preseason and I think freddy has shown more so far during the season. It's one game so whatever but with BB track history with his goaltenders I don't like the decision.

DaDucks*

If the game happens to be boring, this will be the first time we won't be able to blame it on the preds :(

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I'll be in the thick of the 91 by the time this one starts. Radio and checking updates here it is :yo:

I'm fine with dobby starting, I know he was a bit lucky last game but he seemed to gain confidence as the game went on, and I feel comfortable with him. Hopefully the ketchup continues to flow also

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
I thought he was decent. Freddy's had better games. Sure only 1 goal was recorded but there were multiple shots that beat the goalie and rang off the bar or went through Khudobin and he was swimming a bit.
Khudobin looked better in preseason and I think freddy has shown more so far during the season. It's one game so whatever but with BB track history with his goaltenders I don't like the decision.
A lot of people being too hard on Khudobin while giving Freddie a pass for soft goals. Not saying Freddie hasn't been alright but it's no big thing to give this start to Khudobin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad