GDT: Ducks @ Predators 10.22 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Freddie is human, though. The difference between being a pro and not is how he reacts on the outside, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some small version of 'here we go again' in his head.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
Freddie is human, though. The difference between being a pro and not is how he reacts on the outside, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some small version of 'here we go again' in his head.

There should be. For a stable goaltending situation - which you need to win - one goalie needs to be sure of his position as alpha dog - and the other needs to be resigned to being the backup. No way Carey Price becomes Carey Price if Halak is still there. No way he becomes Carey Price if Boudreau is in charge either.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Why we playing Dobby???? The dude had the luckiest game in his life. We were lucky to only give up one goal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Freddie is sitting consecutive games in the first half of the first leg of the season. Not a few games before the playoffs. I don't see the big deal. We all knew Khudobin was gonna play often.

If Freddie is THIS mentally fragile that he can't handle his backup getting back to backs, we've got bigger worries.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
If Freddy can't handle the backup getting another start after a 36 save performance that got the team its first win then he would never have gotten to this high of a level with those confidence issues.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Freddie is sitting consecutive games in the first half of the first leg of the season. Not a few games before the playoffs. I don't see the big deal. We all knew Khudobin was gonna play often.

If Freddie is THIS mentally fragile that he can't handle his backup getting back to backs, we've got bigger worries.

I'm not worried about Freddie mental state. I'm more worried about getting out of this road trip alive and Bruce should be too. Also, the only reasonable explanation would be Andersen has a lingering injury problem.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Anton Khudobin is simply not that great a goalie. We've seen his NHL track record - it says "just okay" - why waste your time with that? Every successful team has a true number one. It's a tried and proven formula. And Khudobin is not going to be that guy. Why mess around with the goalies who can be that guy? Even if you have two good goalies, you need to pick the best one and go with it. Look at where Holtby is now. With Boudreau, that would NEVER have happened.

I don't think that's a fair statement about Khudobin. While everyone in Carolina was bad last year, the year before (2013-14) he was 5th in the league in save percentage. That's better than just ok.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
200.gif

Here's some of that Ketchup for this GDT. Hopefully this appeases the Kethup God.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
I don't think that's a fair statement about Khudobin. While everyone in Carolina was bad last year, the year before (2013-14) he was 5th in the league in save percentage. That's better than just ok.

He also played just 36 games that year. And it was just one year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not worried about Freddie mental state. I'm more worried about getting out of this road trip alive and Bruce should be too. Also, the only reasonable explanation would be Andersen has a lingering injury problem.

I'd like the team to go back to winning ways too. I'm just not writing Khudobin off quite yet. After one disastrous start and a less than confidence inducing win, people have already concluded he's a bad goalie. I mean if that's their opinion, fine. But after my overzealous offensive expectations of silfverberg after his debut, I'm personally done making finalized judgements on guys after 5 games or less of hockey.

HunterDuck

Jan 18, 2015
OC Vibe
I mean, he's like an upgraded LaBarbera, he has the same floppy playing style and same trouble with rebounds.

It's almost like we have had three of the same style of goalie in different tiers of talent.

LaBackup>Dobie>Gibby

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I'd like the team to go back to winning ways too. I'm just not writing Khudobin off quite yet. After one disastrous start and a less than confidence inducing win, people have already concluded he's a bad goalie. I mean if that's their opinion, fine. But after my overzealous offensive expectations of silfverberg after his debut, I'm personally done making finalized judgements on guys after 5 games or less of hockey.

Exactly, we don't know if he's good, bad or average and I don't think this is the time to find out. Once we get going then let him get his starts in.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Carl Hagelin-Ryan Getzlaf-Corey Perry

Andrew Cogliano-Ryan Kesler-Jakob Silfverberg

Jiri Sekac-Rickard Rakell-Mike Santorelli

Patrick Maroon-Shawn Horcoff-Chris Stewart

Hampus Lindholm-Kevin Bieksa

Cam Fowler-Josh Manson

Clayton Stoner-Sami Vatanen

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Anton Khudobin is simply not that great a goalie. We've seen his NHL track record - it says "just okay" - why waste your time with that?
His 13-14 season was much butter than "just okay". As I said, it's better than anything Andersen has done up until now, and there's no guranatees for linear progression. We're trying to win now, too, so playing the guy that gives you the better chance is the obvious mantra.

Every successful team has a true number one. It's a tried and proven formula.
It's a proven formula when you have a top goalie. When you don't, it's no better than a tandem.

And Khudobin is not going to be that guy. Why mess around with the goalies who can be that guy?
There's no reason to believe that for this season, Khudobin can't be the guy, but Freddie can.

Even if you have two good goalies, you need to pick the best one and go with it. Look at where Holtby is now. With Boudreau, that would NEVER have happened.
That's absurd. Holtby was an incredibly young and far inferior goalie back then. If we'd get to have a guy at Holtby's level right now, Boudreau would play him just like that. But we don't.

I mean, he's like an upgraded LaBarbera, he has the same floppy playing style and same trouble with rebounds.

It's almost like we have had three of the same style of goalie in different tiers of talent.

LaBackup>Dobie>Gibby
Yeah, I don't see that comparision, whatsoever. Especially between Khudobin and Gibson, the difference in style is pretty vast.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Dobby is an interesting call tonight (assuming Stephens has it right), but it's really no big deal. Freddy is 3-0 career vs. the Preds, and Bruce has his back against the wall, so I would think he'd go with his #1 guy. But maybe he is going with the guy that has the only win, and knows that Freddy will still have Minny, Chicago, Dallas, and St Louis to look forward to on this brutal Central roadie.

Whatever it is, goaltending is the least of our issues right now. Let's just hope the team remembers how to hockey.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I would also maybe play Khudobin if he had strong game in his pocket. But he was just swimming around and had his luckiest game in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad