GDT: Ducks @ Pen Guinea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Amalgam of a couple of posts.

Ah. Breakaways are going to happen, because players make mistakes. That's hockey. You prevent breakaways the same way you prevent turnovers, which is to say you can only do your best, but you know it's still going to happen.

Oct 18, 2011
Amalgam of a couple of posts.

The team sucks and lost the game on their own as well. But Gibson is also comically bad, and that will probably present a problem in a postgame series where all the players will have the book on him.
gibson is comically bad? :shakehead

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Pens have really had much, much better puck support tonight. They're outnumbering us in places on the ice, when they shouldn't be.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Ah. Breakaways are going to happen, because players make mistakes. That's hockey. You prevent breakaways the same way you prevent turnovers, which is to say you can only do your best, but you know it's still going to happen.

Yup. Our goaltending is a dilemma. Do you want to risk 2 goals due to losing focus, or 2 goals due to breakaways? I really hate Gibson against fast teams, but I love him against the slow ones.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
After 5-6 much better games from Silfvermountain, he's once again back to playing a timid perimeter game... So frustrating.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yup. Our goaltending is a dilemma. Do you want to risk 2 goals due to losing focus, or 2 goals due to breakaways? I really hate Gibson against fast teams, but I love him against the slow ones.

That's a good point. Either way, it's 2 goals you need to make up for. In a playoff environment, that's going to cost you the series. You can't be spotting the opposing team free goals.

DaDucks*

I meant comically bad on breakaways.

I'd still take him over Andersen.

Freddie is like Goose on top gun. No matter how many times you watch the movie, you can't help but get attached, but alas, the ending never changes.

Finnish Duck

Nov 13, 2014

Yes those might happend sometimes, but 2-3 breakaways in one game is horrible from our other players.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Being bad at breakaways and good at the rest is probably preferable, especially if the team is even or leading. I think the team will be more confident in that type of goaltender, which can have a trickle-up effect on the rest of the game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yes those might happend sometimes, but 2-3 breakaways in one game is horrible from our other players.

Hah yeah. I just meant that breakaways aren't really preventable, in the way that you can make adjustments and suddenly the problem goes away. Not unless you're expecting your blue line to just sit in the neutral zone all game.

Tonight is excessive by any standard.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014

They are both too streaky.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I could care less about this when looking at it as a singular game, but this game magnifies my concerns about this team in the playoffs.

1. Rakell at center. Pittsburgh was able to exploit Crosby against Rakell whenever they wanted. Nothing is going to stop that on the road in the playoffs against Toews/Kopitar/Carter/Thornton/Couture. We need a 3C that can keep up with Perry/Rakell offensively and is competent in his own end. That's the biggest need IMO.

2. Gibson point blank can't stop breakaways. We are too aggressive with pinches when trailing and we make too many boneheaded turnovers (namely Getzlaf). Freddy needs to be the guy until Gibby gets a better handle on that part of his game. I can live with Andersen giving up 1 per game guaranteed.

3. Obviously Bieksa isn't a top 4 d-man. Despres and Fowler needs to be back together at some point in the near future.

Last edited:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Why is Getzlaf even still on the ice? Should he be benched? Or is playing him in this kind of situation also some kind of punishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad