Ducks or Hawks: Who matches up better against the Palat-Johnson-Kucherov line?

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
It's not really arrogance. The west is just better. Nothing to do with who's actually coming out of the east. Anything can happen though. But I'd favor the west for sure.

Last year I would have agreed, but I don't think the west is that much better this year in terms of top teams. I see Tampa putting up a great fight and a close finals either way.

Anyway, I think that Kesler might be able to get in TJ's head some. For that reason I lean towards Anahiem being better in this situation than Chicago.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think Chicago will have an easier time matching up to this line than Anaheim.

Either way, I'm rooting for Tampa.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Last year I would have agreed, but I don't think the west is that much better this year in terms of top teams. I see Tampa putting up a great fight and a close finals either way.

Anyway, I think that Kesler might be able to get in TJ's head some. For that reason I lean towards Anahiem being better in this situation than Chicago.

That's because even more teams were better this year on that side. When the Kings and Sharks are missing the playoffs (and they are both very good teams) you know the West is getting ridiculously loaded.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This is exactly the kind of arrogance the Ranger fans had going into their series with Tampa.

It's also the kind of arrogance that the Kings went into the SCF against the Rangers last season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Think the Toews line, with Keith and Seabrook or Hammer can shut down that line, will jsut be whether they have the tools to shut down the rest of Tampa Bay. Hopefully we see if it happens.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Tampa lights up both Crawford and Andersen easily. The only thing that stops the Triplets is injury, flu, or illegal play.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I take the Hawks in this situation simply because of Keith and Seabrook. I don't think either team has the defensive depth to truly "handle" this line right now + add to that Stamkos (despite tonight) is playing great too. The Ducks would be more the more physical series, but the Lightning have shown to be like pinballs unless up against a great tender.

I'd take the Hawks over the Lightning in a 7 game series, simply because of experience and the Toews/Kane/Keith hydra. I'd take the Lightning over the Ducks.

A Hawks/Lightning series would be the most entertaining IMO and thats really all I care about. I'll be rooting for the Bolts in either.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
To everyone calling the west arrogant: You're completely right. The same thing happened last year too. People said the Kings or Hawks would handle the Rangers easily, and the Kings did just that. I have no reason to believe the Lightning won't have the same fate against the Ducks or Hawks.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lot of people in this thread aren't giving Tampa the respect they deserve. They're a damn good team and have been all year.

I think the Blackhawks would put Toews on Johnson and would give Kruger the Stamkos matchup.

As far as the D match-up, depends more on the zone starts than the player match-up I think though it would be fun to see.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
To everyone calling the west arrogant: You're completely right. The same thing happened last year too. People said the Kings or Hawks would handle the Rangers easily, and the Kings did just that. I have no reason to believe the Lightning won't have the same fate against the Ducks or Hawks.

Rangers were a goal away from playing a 7th game against the almighty Western champion

You talk as if they were swept.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Price, Lundqvist, PK, McDonagh, Zetterberg and Datsyuk all say otherwise.....but I guess they're just scrubs compared to the West.

Either way, I absolutely love the idea that we "have no chance" vs the west!

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Tampa can beat Chicago physically and Anaheim skillfully. Tampa Bay is the best of both worlds with the better tender. The only way Tampa Bay loses is if Chicago or Anaheim force an insanely quick pace, which will allow Tampa Bay to make defensive mistakes.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't understand this "either team crushes Tampa" stuff.

People see Tampa as a fluke or something?
They've got possibly the best line in hockey, a 2nd line with Stamkos on it, and decent depth.
Hedman is playing superb hockey on D, only Keith's been better these playoffs IMO, Stralman leads the other guys, decent depth there too.

I'm not saying they're favorites against either team from the West, but blowing them off before the series even starts seems rather silly.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I do think both Chicago and Anaheim are better teams than the Lightning. That said, they are both gonna be beat after that series, whereas Tampa has played several series with relatively little physicality. Also, Tampa has run through 2 of the best goalies in the league. I'm interested to see how they do against much lesser competition in net. I think this years finals will be significantly closer than last years, but I still give the West the edge. Specifically Chicago. I think their offense would be tough for Tampa to handle.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I don't understand this "either team crushes Tampa" stuff.

People see Tampa as a fluke or something?
They've got possibly the best line in hockey, a 2nd line with Stamkos on it, and decent depth.
Hedman is playing superb hockey on D, only Keith's been better these playoffs IMO, Stralman leads the other guys, decent depth there too.

I'm not saying they're favorites against either team from the West, but blowing them off before the series even starts seems rather silly.

Easy east man, get with the times

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The one with Duncan Keith matches up better against that line. I don't see either team beating the Lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad