GDT: Ducks @ Nashville - 5PM PT - 8PM ET - 2AM CET - 6:45AM NPT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
What a stupid loss. ****ing Freddy and ****ing Hagelin. Garbage.

You won't see me denying that he sucked tonight or that he fell apart against Chicago. But if not for him, our record would be even worse than it already is.
With the amount of softies he's let in that claim is definitely debatable.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Kesler is a mediocre player on a garbage contract. I know no one wants to admit it, but we have our very own Dustin Brown situation developing right now.
True. That's pretty much the thing that scares me most right now. I mean, it won't be an issue this year or next, really, because if we're making it to the playoffs, we'll see a different version of him again, but at some point which looks a lot closer now than it did in the summer that's just not going to make up for the cost.

You won't see me denying that he sucked tonight or that he fell apart against Chicago. But if not for him, our record would be even worse than it already is.
I only see it being worse in terms of goal differential. He had a rather absurdly great save-percentage through the losing run to start the year, but it's not really like he stole the three wins. I think meltdown mode is saying a bit much, though. I think this is his usual self. Very good when on, but very inconsistent, which amounts to a slightly below average NHL starter under the bottom line, that has to battle to keep another limited, but talented goalie like Khudobin behind him.

I certainly am glad that we haven't gone all-in on Freddie and traded Gibson.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
WTF are you talking about? A complete meltdown since the Chicago series? Did you not watch the first month of the season where Andersen was literally the only one showing up?
If by showing up you mean giving up softies on a regular basis, then sure he showed up. He's not much use if he shows up for a half dozen games then sucks ass for the next half a dozen.

He's no better or worse then Hiller, the only difference is he's more likable.

Doubt it. He's lost us a few games this season too.

With the amount of softies he's let in that claim is definitely debatable.
Exactly this.

I only see it being worse in terms of goal differential. He had a rather absurdly great save-percentage through the losing run to start the year, but it's not really like he stole the three wins. I think meltdown mode is saying a bit much, though. I think this is his usual self. Very good when on, but very inconsistent, which amounts to a slightly below average NHL starter under the bottom line, that has to battle to keep another limited, but talented goalie like Khudobin behind him.

I certainly am glad that we haven't gone all-in on Freddie and traded Gibson.
I think this is even worse then his usual, yes he gave up softies last year but it's almost every single game he plays in now. When the team is already struggling need your goaltender to not be ******** the bed on a regular basis.

Agree on not going all in on Andersen. Basically would have been another 4+ years of frustration a la Hiller.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
It sucks they lost but I thought they at least looked like a hockey team so I'm not that upset :dunno:

Or maybe I have just become immune to the disappointment

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
When-Ross-Ugly-Cries.gif

Oct 18, 2011
When you outshoot a team 2 to 1 you should win Freddie has a habit of giving up bad goals in these types of games. It's getting to the point where Gibson is going to have to get a look soon

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
watching the condensed game. Way too much the sky is falling.

Freddie should have been pulled after that 2nd goal. We played a good game, goalie let in a sofitie and we can't afford that against one of the hottest teams who just happen to have one of the best goalies in league.

Nothing Freddie could have done with that 3rd goal, but I didn't like that the first goal either. Looked like he had a clean view.

Rinne was spectacular. We play like that and get decent goaltending we win more than we lose.

I just hope Kesler/Silfverberg get their act together before the trade deadline.

Why was everyone so upset about Hagelin, what did I miss?

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Man Freddy is garbage. Looks like he doesn't give a crap. I'm about ready to say call up Gibby and give him a look

Thereby defeating the purpose of keeping him down to get starting time and trading for Khudobin in one fell swoop.

Let Koodo take the reins for now. We signed him for the express purpose of having another starting option if Freddy wasn't up to scratch, it's best we use it.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

Freddie should have been pulled after that 2nd goal. We played a good game, goalie let in a sofitie and we can't afford that against one of the hottest teams who just happen to have one of the best goalies in league.

Nothing Freddie could have done with that 3rd goal, but I didn't like that the first goal either. Looked like he had a clean view.

Rinne was spectacular. We play like that and get decent goaltending we win more than we lose.

I just hope Kesler/Silfverberg get their act together before the trade deadline.

I'd take issue with what's in bold. It seems like I've seen comments like that nearly every game over the past year. At what point do we stop seeing every instance where the offense comes up short as a problem with our team, as opposed to thinking that every goalie that we face is at the top of their game. This isn't something that began bugging me this season, it gnawed at me last year as well.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg

Lazy and dumb play directly responsible for Preds third goal.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I love Freddie but I'd give the next game to dobby. We need to get out of this slump and currently Freddie is in one himself. After the first coyotes game I thought I'd never say it but at this point I'm more confident with dobby in net.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
So going off of the premise that a team needs to have confidence in the goaltender, and that lots of bad stuff happens if it doesn't...

How is your confidence in a goalie like Andersen has been prior to 2 weeks ago (ignoring this past really cold streak)? Here is a guy who has a really high save %, so that should make you confident. But he also seems to give up a softie a game, which doesn't make you confident. Which one wins?

Jack Bauer DAMNIT

Two Way Defenseman
Nov 11, 2015
Golden State
I only got to see the first two periods, but from what I did get to see wasn't all negative. Sure, Rinne clearly outplayed Andersen which directly correlated to the Preds success. This is the first time this season that I have watched a hard working Ducks team which is... ehh.. kinda sad, but can be positive depending on which way you look at it. The Puck possession and physical game was on point, something we have been desperately lacking all year. Defense was alright, besides a few gap control and break-out pass meltdowns (Vatanen and Bieksa). PP was God awful, as always. We were able to get possession in the attacking zone for once, but then went stagnant and were unable to get quality chances. PK was good (minus Fred) even though we got hosed by the refs. Which brings me to another point, Gets Kes and Perry need to stop running their mouths at the refs and produce. Get the zebra's attention by dominating, not whining. OK SORRY FOR THE USELESS RAMBLE.
Overall, a better effort from what we have seen this season, but effort is not enough. Effort < Win

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
So going off of the premise that a team needs to have confidence in the goaltender, and that lots of bad stuff happens if it doesn't...

How is your confidence in a goalie like Andersen has been prior to 2 weeks ago (ignoring this past really cold streak)? Here is a guy who has a really high save %, so that should make you confident. But he also seems to give up a softie a game, which doesn't make you confident. Which one wins?

Softies in my opinion are killer. There are shots that absolutely have to be stopped that have gotten through Andersen. We need him stopping a chipped in puck from the blueline. I still have confidence in him, but this is the same reason many of us weren't upset when we let Hiller go.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I'd take issue with what's in bold. It seems like I've seen comments like that nearly every game over the past year. At what point do we stop seeing every instance where the offense comes up short as a problem with our team, as opposed to thinking that every goalie that we face is at the top of their game. This isn't something that began bugging me this season, it gnawed at me last year as well.

Ok, I think the problem here is not talent, it was willingness to get in front of net and take the abuse for a screen goal. We've been lackidasical about that all season.

But this was a b2b against a top team in the league. I thought the effort was there, just not those little things that are needed to beat a hot team like nashville. I mean i think we outplayed them for the most part and they got 2 weak goals and sounds like a boneheaded play on the 3rd. + spectacular goaltending from Rinne.

If we're playing like this in new year, I'm worried, but obviously developing chemistry/timing has been a problem this year. I'm just willing to give them more slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad