GDT: Ducks @ Leafs 4:30PM Pacific

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
This team cannot win in TO, it's just a thing.

Goaltending cost us this one, Freddy needs a game off or two.

9148130.jpg

I'm not saying they were what cost the game, but I still remember when Toronto had not won one game a few seasons ago and came to Honda Center for their first "win". That was a very penalty laden game towards the Ducks too. Not sure what it is with Canadian fans that feel the need to gloat after a win.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I normally like browsing other team's game threads just to get a feel for what the opposition thinks of the Leafs. I feel bad about the trolling, so I wanted to say good game.

Ducks certainly outplayed us. Relentless hemming us in. Defensively, not a good game for the Leafs.

If it wasn't for Bernier's performance, the score would probably be even, or possibly in you guys' favour. Bernie really saved our bacon.

I have to say I'm really impressed by Vatanen, and I thought Kesler had a heck of a game. Great pickup by you guys.

Also, bit of a side note: was it just me, or was the reffing really wonky tonight? I personally don't like complaining about the refs, but there were a ton of bizarre calls (and non-calls) from what I saw.

Cheers. Soft goals and terrible defense will undo any team. Unfortunately, we happened to have both.

These refs were nuts. More so than the usual bad calls...that unsportsmanlike conduct bench minor seemed to be just for BB questioning the offside decision (which turned out to be wrong in the first place).

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
I normally like browsing other team's game threads just to get a feel for what the opposition thinks of the Leafs. I feel bad about the trolling, so I wanted to say good game.

Ducks certainly outplayed us. Relentless hemming us in. Defensively, not a good game for the Leafs.

If it wasn't for Bernier's performance, the score would probably be even, or possibly in you guys' favour. Bernie really saved our bacon.

I have to say I'm really impressed by Vatanen, and I thought Kesler had a heck of a game. Great pickup by you guys.

Also, bit of a side note: was it just me, or was the reffing really wonky tonight? I personally don't like complaining about the refs, but there were a ton of bizarre calls (and non-calls) from what I saw.

Yeah, the refs were pretty wonky but that isn't the problem entirely. Our goalie has been needing a rest badly starting near 20 games. Weak goaltending can hinder you pretty early on in a game. Still love Freddy though, just wasn't his night.

DaDucks*

Meaning Sami hasn't shown an ability at even strength that puts him that far ahead, like you seem to be suggesting. If they were on the PP fine. Get Sami out there. But Lindholm was flat out better than Sami tonight. He was pushing the play more, creating more chances, and all of this at even strength.

It makes no sense for the coach to play Vatanen 24+ minutes, while Lindholm is playing 19. Not the way Hampus was playing. Unless Lindholm was tired, nursing an injury, or whatever, there is really no defending that. Lindholm was arguably our top player tonight. He should have been out there. A better coach would have had him out there. It's really that simple.

I wont argue that 19 is too low...But if we need a goal at the end of game, I'll take Sami in over anyone....and so will Bruce. Despite being tied es in goals with the other 2, Sami's shot is that much better. They wont be tied at ES goals for long...

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
It didn't take long for Bryzgalov to look bad lol. My first impression was wow he is solid. And then very soon after wow he sucks.

Well, he hasn't played for a while. I think he can be a serviceable backup for the regular season but not much more. I watched him play for the Wild in the playoffs and was left with the impression that if Wild had had even Kuemper in net they could have seriously challenged the Hawks. Bryz had ok numbers but it was mostly the result of a great team defense. He did let in some soft goals at inopportune moments, or that's how I remember it. Just my opinion though, don't know what the Wild fans thought about it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Cheers. Soft goals and terrible defense will undo any team. Unfortunately, we happened to have both.

These refs were nuts. More so than the usual bad calls...that unsportsmanlike conduct bench minor seemed to be just for BB questioning the offside decision (which turned out to be wrong in the first place).

Makes me really curious what he said. :laugh:

Yeah, the refs were pretty wonky but that isn't the problem entirely. Our goalie has been needing a rest badly starting near 20 games. Weak goaltending can hinder you pretty early on in a game. Still love Freddy though, just wasn't his night.

Early on I thought the Ducks were getting away with quite a bit if I'm honest, and then like halfway through the game they started not being able to get away with blinking twice.

I'm actually a fan of Andersen. Not a great outing for him, no, although I do give credit to the Leafs' shooters. They've been hot.

Anaheim dominates the cycle game between us though, no question there. :laugh: Our inability to exit the zone for large chunks of time was severely frustrating.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I wont argue that 19 is too low...But if we need a goal at the end of game, I'll take Sami in over anyone....and so will Bruce. Despite being tied es in goals with the other 2, Sami's shot is that much better. They wont be tied at ES goals for long...

Probably not, but it may not matter. Lindholm may continue to out produce him at even strength. Just because Niedermayer didn't score a lot doesn't mean you didn't want him on the ice when you wanted to score.

DaDucks*

Probably not, but it may not matter. Lindholm may continue to out produce him at even strength. Just because Niedermayer didn't score a lot doesn't mean you didn't want him on the ice when you wanted to score.

If Hamp can become that kind of a player you are talking about, then sure.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If Hamp can become that kind of a player you are talking about, then sure.

My point is that goals aren't the only way to score. If that were the case then Getzlaf wouldn't be who he is. Lindholm was creating offense. If Boudreau wanted goals, he should have been using Lindholm, especially the way he was playing tonight. Which is why I say he dropped the ball. A good coach needs to be able to read when a player is having a good game. Lindholm was feeling it.

DaDucks*

My point is that goals aren't the only way to score. If that were the case then Getzlaf wouldn't be who he is. Lindholm was creating offense. If Boudreau wanted goals, he should have been using Lindholm, especially the way he was playing tonight. Which is why I say he dropped the ball. A good coach needs to be able to read when a player is having a good game. Lindholm was feeling it.

oh I understand your point....sounds like you want BB to roll out the defenseman that is "feeling it" on a night to night basis when we need scoring. I wouldn't hold your breath... BB loves himself some Sami...

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Lindholm was the best player on the ice for the Ducks', I absolutely agree with Sojourn.

Fowle OTOH, and I'm a big Fowler supporter, was a complete sieve. Seemed to really lack confidence and consistently made soft plays. Was really disappointed in his game tonight.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
oh I understand your point....sounds like you want BB to roll out the defenseman that is "feeling it" on a night to night basis when we need scoring. I wouldn't hold your breath... BB loves himself some Sami...

When that defenseman is Lindholm, or Fowler? You bet. They can create offense. We aren't talking about Stoner or Fistric here. You're making it sound like Vatanen is some amazing superstar offensive player right now. At even strength, he isn't. Yes, he's dynamic, but he isn't more effective than they are right now. That will probably change at some point, but some point isn't now. Like I said, on the PP get him out there, but at even strength? Lindholm was much, much better tonight, and even on an average night the gap is slim. Vatanen doesn't deserve that kind of benefit when Lindholm or Fowler are playing like legitimate #1 defensemen. Tonight, that was Lindholm.

And yes, Boudreau loves Sami. Tonight he loved him to a fault. Not because he used Sami, but because he didn't use Lindholm.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Lindholm was the best player on the ice for the Ducks', I absolutely agree with Sojourn.

Fowle OTOH, and I'm a big Fowler supporter, was a complete sieve. Seemed to really lack confidence and consistently made soft plays. Was really disappointed in his game tonight.

Might have been the worst game I've seen him play since becoming an NHL regular.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You guys are slamming the leafs but I'm sure you remember what a terrible coach Carlyle was at the end of his tenure. The leafs are much better than the system they play in.

DaDucks*

its a weird thing to be focusing on at the end of THIS game...ok... Hamps minutes were unjustifiably low tonight, so why is Sami's minutes immediately examined?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
its a weird thing to be focusing on at the end of THIS game...ok... Hamps minutes were unjustifiably low tonight, so why is Sami's minutes immediately examined?

Because he played so many? Fowler was brought up too. He wasn't playing well enough to get the minutes he did tonight, and if minutes are being cut, he's as good a source as any.

Look, this isn't an attack on Vatanen. If anything it's an attack on Boudreau. The point isn't who got the minutes. It's who didn't get them.

Oct 18, 2011
lindholm
vatanen
fowler

is how i rank them this year after further thought, fowlers soft play and tentativeness is ****ing annoying, because when he plays aggressively he can be the best of the bunch. i penalize him for not playing close to his potential

DaDucks*

When that defenseman is Lindholm, or Fowler? You bet. They can create offense. We aren't talking about Stoner or Fistric here. You're making it sound like Vatanen is some amazing superstar offensive player right now. At even strength, he isn't. Yes, he's dynamic, but he isn't more effective than they are right now. That will probably change at some point, but some point isn't now. Like I said, on the PP get him out there, but at even strength? Lindholm was much, much better tonight, and even on an average night the gap is slim. Vatanen doesn't deserve that kind of benefit when Lindholm or Fowler are playing like legitimate #1 defensemen. Tonight, that was Lindholm.

And yes, Boudreau loves Sami. Tonight he loved him to a fault. Not because he used Sami, but because he didn't use Lindholm.

well...he's certainly on his way to becoming a star offensive defenseman... I think I will stick with BB here. Sami does seem be more of a clutch player, it would make more sense for Sami to get all the experience he can being placed in the game in a late situation, since he will most likely be "feeling it" more than both Fowler and Hamp on a night to night basis for now... I really doubt BB thinks Sami is only good to be on the pp like most of you are suggesting. The guy already scored tonight, unfortunately it wasn't at ES:sarcasm:

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
well...he's certainly on his way to becoming a star offensive defenseman... I think I will stick with BB here. Sami does seem be more of a clutch player, it would make more sense for Sami to get all the experience he can being placed in the game in a late situation, since he will most likely be "feeling it" more than both Fowler and Hamp on a night to night basis for now... I really doubt BB thinks Sami is only good to be on the pp like most of you are suggesting. The guy already scored tonight, unfortunately it wasn't at ES:sarcasm:
He's certainly our most clutch defensive scorer.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Might have been the worst game I've seen him play since becoming an NHL regular.

His lack of assertiveness, as Keerole highlighted, is really starting to annoy me. He needs to understand that he is boss, and that he can/needs to take over games. Vatanen and Lindholm already understand that in regards to themselves.

I wasn't intending it to be knock on Sami's minutes, and I don't think that was Sojourn's intentions either, more of a knock on Lindholm's lack of minutes.

lindholm
vatanen
fowler

is how i rank them this year after further thought, fowlers soft play and tentativeness is ****ing annoying, because when he plays aggressively he can be the best of the bunch. i penalize him for not playing close to his potential

This game, I completely agree. However, for the season, I still see Vatanen below the other 3 in terms of overall effectiveness.

DoubleDouble*

The problem with SOG are that not all are equal. I thought the Ducks took a lot of perimeter shots, and that Bernier only made 3 or 4 really great saves. Freddy had 2 really nice saves too, but should have had the Lupul and Booth goals.

I don't think this game was as lopsided as the score suggests, but I also don't think that the shots paint an accurate picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad