Post-Game Talk: Ducks Fly Out of and Then Crap On Oil Slick, 5-1 Ducks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't worry. We'll put Scrivens on waivers. He'll then get picked up by Winnipeg and win the Vezina trophy next year. :sarcasm:

Mac T will then proceed to fire the goaltending equipment manager.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Schultz is................???

I am getting sick and tired of Schultz... It is possible that I watched him through a different set of glasses last night, because he has been getting on my nerves with his decision-making lately, but I am really starting to doubt this kid.

Maybe the solution is to shelter him on the 3rd pair, but I don't see that happening very soon...

Schultz is not entirely at fault............example on the second goal behind the net he missed handle the puck............and a Duck got the loose puck and passed it to a incoming Duck player...........the other Oiler's defensemen was occupied by another Duck player..........but no Oiler's forward was back checking the incoming Duck............as a result open shot on the goaltender.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
i made a comment to my wife right before the Ducks first goal that the Oilers were playing really well and actually looked like a competitive hockey team. then Beauchemin scored and they fell apart.

goalie + top D would help team confidence immensely.

i felt bad for RNH on the first two goals. 1st goal - caught on a bad line change and couldn't catch his man (should maybe have been Eberle's). 2nd goal Schultz has clear possession and they start breaking out, but he Jultz's it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This game reminds me of the Winnipeg one. Against a big strong Western Conference team the Oilers were easily dominated.

On the good side I never felt like the team truly gave up like they used to all the time under Eakins. There was still some fight, but Anaheim is just too ruthless/smart to ease up on an opponent.

Our bad players were our worst in a big way last night. I did miss the first 12 min of the game so only seen highlights of he goals against but this is how I seen it.

Purcell was the number one goat IMO. Had multiple prime scoring chances where all he had to do was hustle and was obviously not interested in this game. As a conspiracy guy I almost think Mac T told him before the game to do his best to throw this game. Played a soft game when we needed exactly the opposite.

Schultz... Looks like bad Schultz against big strong Western Conference teams. Still has potential but to beat those kind of teams he has to be 1000 times better, not on the team, or used in a very very very limited fashion.

Klefbom. Schultz's partner in crime was beat wide and caught out of position far too much. He looked like a rookie, which thankfully he is, but got beat like one all night too. There should be no free rides and much like Schultz he can't be expected to do any heavy lifting against team as good as Anaheim for at least a couple more years.

Scrivens. You could put him as the number one goat but that would foolish. Bad team defense/awareness lead to prime scoring chances PLUS we never capitalized on our prime scoring chances. Hard to win with only one goal. He did have a poor night and also is a big reason why we are where we are.

Nikita. Probably most peoples goat just cause they hate him but was not as bad the above by a considerable margin.

The whole team was not great. Anaheim is a power house. And at least we didn't lose to Buffalo or go up in the standings...

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This game reminds me of the Winnipeg one. Against a big strong Western Conference team the Oilers were easily dominated.

On the good side I never felt like the team truly gave up like they used to all the time under Eakins. There was still some fight, but Anaheim is just too ruthless/smart to ease up on an opponent.

Our bad players were our worst in a big way last night. I did miss the first 12 min of the game so only seen highlights of he goals against but this is how I seen it.

Purcell was the number one goat IMO. Had multiple prime scoring chances where all he had to do was hustle and was obviously not interested in this game. As a conspiracy guy I almost think Mac T told him before the game to do his best to throw this game. Played a soft game when we needed exactly the opposite.

Schultz... Looks like bad Schultz against big strong Western Conference teams. Still has potential but to beat those kind of teams he has to be 1000 times better, not on the team, or used in a very very very limited fashion.

Klefbom. Schultz's partner in crime was beat wide and caught out of position far too much. He looked like a rookie, which thankfully he is, but got beat like one all night too. There should be no free rides and much like Schultz he can't be expected to do any heavy lifting against team as good as Anaheim for at least a couple more years.

Scrivens. You could put him as the number one goat but that would foolish. Bad team defense/awareness lead to prime scoring chances PLUS we never capitalized on our prime scoring chances. Hard to win with only one goal. He did have a poor night and also is a big reason why we are where we are.

Nikita. Probably most peoples goat just cause they hate him but was not as bad the above by a considerable margin.

The whole team was not great. Anaheim is a power house. And at least we didn't lose to Buffalo or go up in the standings...

I'm tired of just blaming the D for his poor play. Scrivens doesn't give this team a fighting chance anytime its against tough competition [or even arguably against any team really]...when you let a goal on first shot, that kills team morale right from the get go.

He may make a few good saves but that doesn't save his piss poor play overall. He's a decent backup but definitely not starter material IMO

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm not sure how Scrivens can play another NHL game at this point.

Nelson will play Scrivens because he doesn't think Bunz is any better [which is probably true].

I reckon if Fasth or even Bachman came back, Scrivens wouldn't see any ice time.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Welcome back Scrivens. We all missed your horrible performances.

I've never been so excited and equally scared to see which goalie we acquire in the offseason.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think its fair to blame Scrivens in isolation. Really this game we knew Ducks were going to throw up 4 or more goals against us. Knew this was going to be ugly with most people stating it. Bachman got the easy starts.

As far as the first goal how do you blame Scrivens? Typical Oiler D backing in on the play that could've been routinely defended. Also Nuge lazily skating back and waves a stick at the goal scorer. With 1, 2 hard strides on that play Nuge would've been in position to defend there and should've been able to read that play. That pass was patently obvious from where Hopkins was. Also the shot was screened and taken from middle slot. Well placed shot. Yeah, not scrivens fault.

2nd goal I see that Scrivens gets blamed for not being perfectly set. I'm sure he's supposed to know Jultz blows a tire behind the net and gifts the Ducks the bang bang goal by skating right over the puck.

Only 4th goal was weak by going in off Nikitin.

Are we blaming him on the perfect penalty shot goal? What then?

The Oilers lost this game, not Scrivens.

As for going down a lot this is essentially what occurs when you start for a bad team enough times is you start to get shellshock. This is whats occurring more for scrivens this year as he has to play more than what would be ideal for him.

Scrivens isn't a guy that can mop up 50-60 starts a year. But as part of a tandem I think he could do better. His game is impacted right now. This is not the Scrivens that came here. That happens to goalies and happened to a lot of them here before Scrivens.

Until we get the club playing sensible hockey in front of him its pretty hard to blame goaltending. Ducks we're getting primo chances all day. Oilers were giving up breakaways and no awareness whatsoever. You know a club isn't even paying attention when you give up clean breakaway when a guy is coming out of the box. nobody even shouting that from the bench. These are the disturbing signs when you realize the smoke and mirrors about this becoming a team are pure illusion. Theres beer teams that would let their mates know whats going down.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
-Scrivens sucks
-Nikitin shouldn't be in the NHL
-Oilers played dumb all night
-PP was worse than garbage...never seen anything like it
-Ducks are better, bigger, faster, stronger and well coached..Oilers got a looong ways to go become competitive
-5 more miserable games to go in another lost season

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Again too much criticism of Scrivens.

We're playing one of the most physical, big teams in hockey in their own barn and a team that loves to drive the puck to the net all night and get up in goalies face.

In response we're dressing a D corps of Jultz, Klefbom, Nikitin, Marancin, Aulie, Davidson.

4 guys that are allergic to clearing traffic in front of the net, that practically leave a red carpet to the goal mouth and will back in all night long, and a physical D, Aulie, who is not good enough for NHL, and Davidson who's never been in it.

Additionally we're missing Wagonline meat in the lineup and frankly what the Oilers play doesn't look anything like WC hockey without Gordon and Hendricks..

If I'm a goalie with this D in front of me and forward units that choose this night to take an off night I'm asking for danger pay. Scrivens is a trooper, always answers the bell, a team guy and trying to battle no matter how bleak the situation.

There wasn't one other Oiler player last night that was dialed in and prepared to battle. Scrivens, due to situation with Bachman and the emergency callup and Fasth being MIA knew that no matter how bad this game got he would be hung out to dry. Only the Ducks having some mercy stopped this one from going double digits. Scrivens got little help from anybody and was seeing incoming all night.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Again too much criticism of Scrivens.

We're playing one of the most physical, big teams in hockey in their own barn and a team that loves to drive the puck to the net all night and get up in goalies face.

In response we're dressing a D corps of Jultz, Klefbom, Nikitin, Marancin, Aulie, Davidson.

4 guys that are allergic to clearing traffic in front of the net, that practically leave a red carpet to the goal mouth and will back in all night long, and a physical D, Aulie, who is not good enough for NHL, and Davidson who's never been in it.

Additionally we're missing Wagonline meat in the lineup and frankly what the Oilers play doesn't look anything like WC hockey without Gordon and Hendricks..

If I'm a goalie with this D in front of me and forward units that choose this night to take an off night I'm asking for danger pay. Scrivens is a trooper, always answers the bell, a team guy and trying to battle no matter how bleak the situation.

There wasn't one other Oiler player last night that was dialed in and prepared to battle. Scrivens, due to situation with Bachman and the emergency callup and Fasth being MIA knew that no matter how bad this game got he would be hung out to dry. Only the Ducks having some mercy stopped this one from going double digits. Scrivens got little help from anybody and was seeing incoming all night.
The first two goals Scrivens made almost no effort to stop. All he did was drop to his knees and watch it fly by. That's his only move. He is too predictable and the league has him figured out. Aim high cause he will drop as soon as a player gets within spitting distance.

You see average to good goalies making saves on those first 2 goals cause that's their job. I can't imagine how stressful it is being on a team where if you make one mistake your goalie is letting the puck in. Bachman is a better goalie then Scrivens right now and the team knows it, they played better in front of Bachman.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We were also carrying the play to start the game. Then Scrivens let's in the first shot. Team gets a bit flustered. 3 shots late and we are tied in shots but Scrivens let's in 2 goals and then the team just gave up. 2 more almost goals in the first cause Scrivens either went down or couldn't move laterally.

The game would of been much different if he made those 2 saves that wouldn't be hard to make. We would of lost but not embarrassed

Anders Freaking Lindback looks better then Scrivens in front of an even worse defense.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hammonds came in and started something like 14 games without a regulation loss. They named him the Hamburglar and tossed hamburgers at him. What do hamburgers have?

Bunz!

Bunz is gonna close out the season undefeated without allowing a single goal. It's science.

But seriously we could put Scrivens and Bunz in the net at the same time and they would still give up at least 1 bad goal a game.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hammonds came in and started something like 14 games without a regulation loss. They named him the Hamburglar and tossed hamburgers at him. What do hamburgers have?

Bunz!

Bunz is gonna close out the season undefeated without allowing a single goal. It's science.

But seriously we could put Scrivens and Bunz in the net at the same time and they would still give up at least 1 bad goal a game.
Bunz would have an excuse at least.

Having to share the net with Scrivens.

Honestly might as well give Bunz a game or two and see what we have in him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The first two goals Scrivens made almost no effort to stop. All he did was drop to his knees and watch it fly by. That's his only move. He is too predictable and the league has him figured out. Aim high cause he will drop as soon as a player gets within spitting distance.

You see average to good goalies making saves on those first 2 goals cause that's their job. I can't imagine how stressful it is being on a team where if you make one mistake your goalie is letting the puck in. Bachman is a better goalie then Scrivens right now and the team knows it, they played better in front of Bachman.

Bachman played two games against really weak opponents who brought zero semplance of interest or physical game.

The ducks steamrolled us again and predictably. Bachman doesn't do any better in this contest than Scrivens.

As mentioned Scrivens was never brought in here to solo as #1. That's beyond him and we can all agree on that. At best he needs to be part of a tandem. not his fault Fasth completely **** the bed and won't be seen or heard of here again.

Can't be at all comforting to a goalie having the lineup and D the oilers had in front of him tonight and an attitude of indifference coming into the game. 5 minutes into it and Oilers are letting guys walk right into slot. :shakehead

makes me sick

McDeathbyCheerios*

Bachman played two games against really weak opponents who brought zero semplance of interest or physical game.

The ducks steamrolled us again and predictably. Bachman doesn't do any better in this contest than Scrivens.

As mentioned Scrivens was never brought in here to solo as #1. That's beyond him and we can all agree on that. At best he needs to be part of a tandem. not his fault Fasth completely **** the bed and won't be seen or heard of here again.

Can't be at all comforting to a goalie having the lineup and D the oilers had in front of him tonight and an attitude of indifference coming into the game. 5 minutes into it and Oilers are letting guys walk right into slot. :shakehead

makes me sick
To be fair even with better d then tonight Scrivens would let in bad goals in pairs the entire time. The team doesn't play good for him cause they have given up on him, you can tell. Yes it's unfortunate the d we had in front of him. But that's no excuse for those first 2 goals. He is worse then Dubnyk was and you were on of the ones wanting him gone ASAP.

And yes Dubnyk was awful that year on all teams he played on

Scrivens had 2 games off and let in a his first shot after a break. Unacceptable.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Yeah, the D is to blame for every single shooter going upstairs on Scrivens.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Maybe goalies suck here because they have no confidence due to the team being terrible. Which leads to the team being deflated and being even worse.

That's why goalies look good before they come here and again when they leave here

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Bunz!

aBWVo4u.gif

makes me sick

The same Colorado team that tied the game against us with Scrivens in net...

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Seems like all of our goalies flop to the ice too much. Still need to improve our goaltending coach.

Scrivens is just resorting to his old Allaire TO coached ways. The way he holds his glove and his constant blocking of shots is reminiscent of his TO ways.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Maybe goalies suck here because they have no confidence due to the team being terrible. Which leads to the team being deflated and being even worse.

That's why goalies look good before they come here and again when they leave here
Dubnyk looked awful in Nashville, did crappy for Montreal in the AHL and was decent in Arizona. Scrivens looked good behind an LA defense and Fasth looked good in Anaheim before injuries. Bryzgalov looked better here then he did when he was traded.

The goalies are our biggest problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad