Post-Game Talk: Ducks Fly Out of and Then Crap On Oil Slick, 5-1 Ducks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
These types of games are good in a way. Shows how far away the Oilers are from being competitive in the West. Hopefully Bob Nicholson and Daryl Katz are watching and seeing what MacT seems unwilling/unable to. The defensive core is a million miles away from even mediocre.

MacT needs to bring in 2 d-men better than anything we have, and a starting goaltender. Unless all three of those players are brought in, I don't see much hope with next season. And since MacT has proven through 2 seasons that he can't do it. We need someone who can.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
These types of games are good in a way. Shows how far away the Oilers are from being competitive in the West. Hopefully Bob Nicholson and Daryl Katz are watching and seeing what MacT seems unwilling/unable to. The defensive core is a million miles away from even mediocre.

MacT needs to bring in 2 d-men better than anything we have, and a starting goaltender. Unless all three of those players are brought in, I don't see much hope with next season. And since MacT has proven through 2 seasons that he can't do it. We need someone who can.
:laugh:

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
boy crazy. 3 responses lets you see how much apathy has set in with our fans. Really it's extremely sad to see

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
boy crazy. 3 responses lets you see how much apathy has set in with our fans. Really it's extremely sad to see

I didn't know there was a hockey game tonight until it was 4-0.

Coincidentally Bloodborne is very good.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't know there was a hockey game tonight until it was 4-0.

Coincidentally Bloodborne is very good.

I'm tempted to get a PS4 just for it. Loved Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. Two of my favourite games of the past few years.

Not sure I (responsibly) afford it though lol.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

What do we dangle for a 1/2 defencemen?

3/4 overall

Eberle +

Hall

I wouldn't be willing to move Drai, Nuge, or Nurse. Hall would be a hard maybe for someone like Ekman-Larsson, but I would probably pull the trigger.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I've totally given up on this team for next year and the year after that. Heck, probably the next 5 years

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Playing against the best team in the league without Gordon, Hendricks, Ference and Fayne?

Playing against the best team in the league with Aulie and Marincin in the line-up?

Miller isn't ready to play in the NHL. Gazdic will never be good enough to play i n the NHL.

What do you expect?

Absolutely need to get rid of Ference and give his minutes to a better all round 3rd pairing d-man.
Absolutely need to make a trade for a top 4 d-man.
Offer up Nikitin with 1/2 salary retained, Pits 1st and Montreal 2nd and see what offers you get back. Heck maybe we need to throw in Edmonton's 2nd rounder as well and maybe we can get a good young guy considering all of the depth at this upcoming draft.

------

Lander, Hall and Yakupov seemed emotionally invested in the game as usual. Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle had a weak game.

Is this the Taylor Hall effect? Is it just me or do Hopkins and Eberle often under perform when Hall is in the line-up?

I think the Hall/Lander line would have been a lot more effective if they had a better RW with them tonight.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
We didn't play great, but haven't we gone 5-1-2 over the past 8 games or something. We lost to a team that might very well win the cup. We aren't good enough to compete with a team like that, but we have looked a lot better over the last 10 games.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Playing against the best team in the league without Gordon, Hendricks, Ference and Fayne?

Playing against the best team in the league with Aulie and Marincin in the line-up?

Miller isn't ready to play in the NHL. Gazdic will never be good enough to play i n the NHL.

What do you expect?

Absolutely need to get rid of Ference and give his minutes to a better all round 3rd pairing d-man.
Absolutely need to make a trade for a top 4 d-man.
Offer up Nikitin with 1/2 salary retained, Pits 1st and Montreal 2nd and see what offers you get back. Heck maybe we need to throw in Edmonton's 2nd rounder as well and maybe we can get a good young guy considering all of the depth at this upcoming draft.

------

Lander, Hall and Yakupov seemed emotionally invested in the game as usual. Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle had a weak game.

Is this the Taylor Hall effect? Is it just me or do Hopkins and Eberle often under perform when Hall is in the line-up?

I think the Hall/Lander line would have been a lot more effective if they had a better RW with them tonight.

The 1st line wasn't great, but they have been money for about 20 games. I wan't to see Hall with Roy and Yak. I think now may be the time. As much as I think Hall has proven he can drive a line. He needs better talent to play with. I agree with the majority of your post though

What do we give up for two top 4 dmen?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am getting sick and tired of Schultz... It is possible that I watched him through a different set of glasses last night, because he has been getting on my nerves with his decision-making lately, but I am really starting to doubt this kid.

Maybe the solution is to shelter him on the 3rd pair, but I don't see that happening very soon...

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I am getting sick and tired of Schultz... It is possible that I watched him through a different set of glasses last night, because he has been getting on my nerves with his decision-making lately, but I am really starting to doubt this kid.

Maybe the solution is to shelter him on the 3rd pair, but I don't see that happening very soon...

He scored that beauty the other night and almost changed my mind too haha. The reality is that on a good team he is a 4/5 D man. He's being asked of way too much here. Mact anoints him a norris trophy candidate. He gets played like 23+ min a game against the best players in the west. If he swapped places with Cam Fowler the perception of him would as well.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He scored that beauty the other night and almost changed my mind too haha. The reality is that on a good team he is a 4/5 D man. He's being asked of way too much here. Mact anoints him a norris trophy candidate. He gets played like 23+ min a game against the best players in the west. If he swapped places with Cam Fowler the perception of him would as well.

That hurts him for sure, but I just don't see a way out of it. They will not get two top 4 D's in the off season and next year it will be the same ol'story all over again with Schultz 23+ min/night...

At this point I think Klefbom's development and potential is much more important than Schultz's, and I wish they were not togehter anymore. Klefbom can play big minutes, but it should be with a responsible D who can cover for rookie mistakes and be a mentor on the ice. I am afraid that Schultz's bad habits will rub off on Klefbom and set him back.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think Lander and Hall should play PK together. Hall with some SH goals.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
That hurts him for sure, but I just don't see a way out of it. They will not get two top 4 D's in the off season and next year it will be the same ol'story all over again with Schultz 23+ min/night...

At this point I think Klefbom's development and potential is much more important than Schultz's, and I wish they were not togehter anymore. Klefbom can play big minutes, but it should be with a responsible D who can cover for rookie mistakes and be a mentor on the ice. I am afraid that Schultz's bad habits will rub off on Klefbom and set him back.

If Mact can't land at least one 1/2 dman then we'll be talking about another top 5 draft pick next year. Schultz and Klefbom would both be a great 4dman with a solid top 3. Playing them both in the top 4 of an nhl team is not good enough

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If Mact can't land at least one 1/2 dman then we'll be talking about another top 5 draft pick next year. Schultz and Klefbom would both be a great 4dman with a solid top 3. Playing them both in the top 4 of an nhl team is not good enough

I think a little more of Klefbom, but on Schultz you are probably spot on and I agree.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I think a little more of Klefbom, but on Schultz you are probably spot on and I agree.

You Think he's a legit number 3?

I dunno. I like him a lot. I think he can become that, but I don't think he's there yet if you can build a competent defence. No need to throw him to the wolves just yet if you can avoid it. But knowing our management him and schultz will be 1/2 next year with Fayne, Ferrence, Nikitin, and Marinicin playing the bottom 4

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You Think he's a legit number 3?

I dunno. I like him a lot. I think he can become that, but I don't think he's there yet if you can build a competent defence. No need to throw him to the wolves just yet if you can avoid it. But knowing our management him and schultz will be 1/2 next year with Fayne, Ferrence, Nikitin, and Marinicin playing the bottom 4

I think he can be a legit no 3 if the no 4 is not named JS. Put him with a responsible no 4 D and I think he can be an anchor of that pair. I also think he could cut it as a no 2, if and only if, he has a real bonafide no 1 D to play with, i.e. a Suter/Brodin or Weber/Josi (not Josi of 14/15, I am talking Josi 12/13).

The last part of your post is probably true though. He will be on the 1st pair with JS, and it may go alright for a while, but I think it will hurt his development in the long run (and I think the huge minutes played by JS has hurt his development).

MagicOilers73

Jul 29, 2013
I think he can be a legit no 3 if the no 4 is not named JS. Put him with a responsible no 4 D and I think he can be an anchor of that pair. I also think he could cut it as a no 2, if and only if, he has a real bonafide no 1 D to play with, i.e. a Suter/Brodin or Weber/Josi (not Josi of 14/15, I am talking Josi 12/13).

The last part of your post is probably true though. He will be on the 1st pair with JS, and it may go alright for a while, but I think it will hurt his development in the long run (and I think the huge minutes played by JS has hurt his development).

Actually Klefbom was projected as a top line D when drafted(#2) as his ceiling just as Marincin wasdrafted as a 2nd pairing D. I agree that the Oilers need a top pair D vet to help stabilise the D core, Nurse is projected as top line D once he gets the experience under him, but he's still a few years away from that. We do have the D depth (prospects) & some good picks in this years draft to trade a few of each to get that top pair D we need to push for a better spot in the standings next year if we can get 1.

The top pair D we should try getting are in no particular order are Chara, Seabrook &/or Phaneuf. I know most of us aren't too keen on Phaneuf, but I think if he was paired with Klefbom, I think they'd make for a pretty solid top pair. Then maybe try Marincin with Shultz in 2nd pair.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
My take (after watching the first 2 periods)

-schultz sucks still... If he ain't scoring, he ain't worth ****
-Scrivens is the worst goalie this team has ever had... Blame the D all you want but when you let in 2 on first 3 shots, you're dead to me
-the first line is useless against tough competition /good teams... I don't care how many points the dynamic duo has put up, they can't hold or get the puck out of our own zone anytime it's against tough teams... Conversely, everyone's favorite whipping boy this season, while imperfect, seems to have no trouble getting into offensive zone with two "scrubs"
-Purcell... See scrivens

Granted this was based on two periods... Dunno how bad third was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad