Post-Game Talk: Ducks def. Canucks - 7-4 (Pearson, Pettersson, Garland, Hughes)

Would you rather fight 1 whale or 1000 ducks?

• Total voters

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
f*** sakes, Guenther would be nice to have right now.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This OEL trade is starting to enter disaster level. Another Benning middle finger to Canuck nation. Not even that we would have for sure drafted Guenther but with Garland coasting, OELs long ass contract, losss of a top ten pick after another disaster season... yikes

And the saddest part is this year was suppose to be the window that counted as we sent away the useless three #13 forwards and their contracts lol. This was the only year their contracts were bigger than OELs and yikes, another bottom 10 finish looking ever more likely

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This OEL trade is starting to enter disaster level. Another Benning middle finger to Canuck nation. Not even that we would have for sure drafted Guenther but with Garland coasting, OELs long ass contract, losss of a top ten pick after another disaster season... yikes

I think they were pretty high on Cole Sillinger, who's currently playing in the NHL and producing nicely.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Looking at the models this morning, the Canucks slim playoffs hopes looked to have dropped another 5%. Essentially below 10% everywhere I look now.

For me you keep Demko and Hughes for sure. Easily the teams two best players.

You likely keep Hoglander and Podz because they are young with limited trade value. May as well try to build them into something resembling good top 9 players (hopefully more).

Miller - in a myopic view you likely keep him as well being a top 3 player on the roster. However, in the grand scheme of things and where this team is you have to move him. He is likely to go from good value contract to bad value contract within a handful of years. Not what you want at a time when this team might be ready to do something.

Horvat and Boeser. I think you move them if you can. They are not providing value for this team right now and might be able to generate a good return. Unless there are underlying issues they can be moved.

Pettersson - I think he’s coming around to how Boudreau wants him to play and the results are starting to come for him. However, I think this is a player you really need to find the proper wingers for. I’m not sure those wingers are on this team right now. Still, I think you keep him around.

Garland - I’m in the minority on his play I think. When he’s on he is an annoying little water bug. When he isn’t he accomplishes absolutely nothing. And honestly I don’t feel he is “on” enough. Many games of invisible Garland. Last night he hit the scoresheet a couple times I think but like the rest of the roster he was nowhere to be found the first 25 minutes. That said, his contract is manageable so I think you look to keep him.

Anyone else can be moved.

They need to try really hard to get rid of Myers and OEL (might be even more impossible if he is hurt for any length of time).

That said I don’t expect the team to make 4 or 5 big trade moves in the next 6 months. That’s far too high a bar. But they need to make a couple big deals and really start to shake up and rebuild the roster.

If I’m management I’m taking the opposite tactic of Benning who could only seem to think adding more offense was the answer (or thinking he was adding more offense). I start at the blueline. I want to see at least 3 new bodies on that blueline next year, two should be top 4 and at least one of Myers and OEL gone. If the offense struggles or the forwards are a bit of a mess that’s fine. A good blueline with solid goaltending will do far more for this team moving forward than anything else.
If you moved on Horvat and Boeser right now...you'd be selling them at their lowest value..I would at least find out what sort of $ they are looking at down the road.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think they were pretty high on Cole Sillinger, who's currently playing in the NHL and producing nicely.
The 'But Gillis' crowd made us all laugh for years, but this time the But Benning will be a real thing for years, just look at this OEL disaster. Long term injury is the only saving grace and even that does make things difficult around the START of the season. Bare cupboards, overpaid lousy dmen on multi year contracts, etc.

But hindsight
But Luongo contract
But hole
But Gillis
But injuries
But schedule

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If you moved on Horvat and Boeser right now...you'd be selling them at their lowest value..I would at least find out what sort of $ they are looking at down the road.

I’m not convinced of that. Horvat is a guy that a few months ago was in Team Canada conversations on some level. I think his value holds. Boeser…well despite what we think 30 goal scorers aren’t that common.

Of course you find out about the $$$. That goes without saying but in general they are assets you should be seriously looking to see what you can get.

Horvat will be 27 in a couple months and Boeser 25 this week. This is a team that likely isn’t looking at a quick turnaround so the decision is do you want 30 year old Horvat and 28 year old Boeser in prominent roles when you are looking to truly start competing? Unless those deals are absolute steals I don’t think you do.

I also don’t think they will move every big asset they have before next camp and I think said as such. I don’t think that’s realistic.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I’m not convinced of that. Horvat is a guy that a few months ago was in Team Canada conversations on some level. I think his value holds. Boeser…well despite what we think 30 goal scorers aren’t that common.

Of course you find out about the $$$. That goes without saying but in general they are assets you should be seriously looking to see what you can get.

Horvat will be 27 in a couple months and Boeser 25 this week. This is a team that likely isn’t looking at a quick turnaround so the decision is do you want 30 year old Horvat and 28 year old Boeser in prominent roles when you are looking to truly start competing? Unless those deals are absolute steals I don’t think you do.

I also don’t think they will move every big asset they have before next camp and I think said as such. I don’t think that’s realistic.
Kinda depressing when you look back at when Chicago started winning and Toews and Kane were in their early 20s. Or even Marchand and Bergeron were pretty young tho just the one cup compared to Chicago. Too bad we couldnt do shit with a young Pettersson and Hughes and JT Miller on a sweet contract

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
JR knew this team needs a rebuild (which is funny because we have been basement dwellers for a decade). He’s said as much. Only the odd fan thought we could “retool”. Everyone’s gotta go and we will be the Arizona coyotes for the next 5-6 years. We are .500 with BB after his first 7 games.

Seems too black and white. There are ways to improve long term without going scorched Earth tactics.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
there was a tweet earlier yesterday regarding about a team losing to 7 goals by the opponent. rutherford shipped out a few players in a span of 2 weeks could that happen in canuckland sooner than later? boeser? horvat? it was macann/oleiskak.brassard

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
there was a tweet earlier yesterday regarding about a team losing to 7 goals by the opponent. rutherford shipped out a few players in a span of 2 weeks could that happen in canuckland sooner than later? boeser? horvat? it was macann/oleiskak.brassard

We have a two day break between our Seattle and Calgary games this week.

I would be surprised if we didn't at least make a minor transaction then, but who knows.

Reactions: David71

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
This has probably been brought up, but re: the check on Burroughs, the league doesn't seem to be calling Hitting from Behind anymore. This used to be a big deal and was the thing they cracked down on before headshots. The league is still handing out the 4min high sticking rule so I wonder what gives.

---

Ot is interesting the Demko is coming back down to earth, especially after he stole that game for us last week. When he was backup, he tended to bottom out after playing too regularly which hasn't been the case this year. Every goalie has off games but has he reached his limit this season? Has he played too many games? Its just two stinkers and he was back at the bench sucking it up after he got pulled rather than crying about it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure Rutherford and Allvin are well into a good long review of the current Canuck roster.....and games like last night are far more valuable in making a realistic assessment of where they're at.

Let's face it, this team has below-average overall speed and is pillowy-soft along the wall. Those two factors alone were the biggest reasons for last night's meltdown against the Ducks. And when you couple that with the reality that their special teams are into freefall again, then you have the recipe for defeat.

Canucks continue to be dead-last in the entire NHL on the PK. That despite actually improving a bit under Boudreau. But their stats are being buried by a historically PK in the first 25 games. And of late their PP has largely been firing blanks.

And the reality is when you lose the special teams battle night after night, it 's unlikely you're going to win. Your goaltender might steal a game or two, but over the long term the Canucks stats are unsustainable.

The best thing to happen to this team would be a late-season freefall down the standings in the last 30 games. Unfortunately it's likely they'll end up in the 'mushy middle' of NHL lottery teams with 80 points or so. Not bad enough to earn the first overall pick; but not nearly good enough to be in the playoffs.

The new Canuck braintrust has their work cut out for them. And it'll probably take at least a couple of seasons to address the mess they inherited and escape 'cap-hell'.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
The 'But Gillis' crowd made us all laugh for years, but this time the But Benning will be a real thing for years, just look at this OEL disaster. Long term injury is the only saving grace and even that does make things difficult around the START of the season. Bare cupboards, overpaid lousy dmen on multi year contracts, etc.

But hindsight
But Luongo contract
But hole
But Gillis
But injuries
But schedule

I find it very amusing that to this day, there are still people who are convinced that Benning did a good job here. I guess that's what it feels like to talk to flat earthers.

The fact is, it's going to take years, I am guessing at least 3-4, to repair all the damages caused by Benning. Things would have been a lot better if he was fired before his last off season. Thanks to AQ, this fanbase will suffer for many more years to come.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I find it very amusing that to this day, there are still people who are convinced that Benning did a good job here. I guess that's what it feels like to talk to flat earthers.

The fact is, it's going to take years, I am guessing at least 3-4, to repair all the damages caused by Benning. Things would have been a lot better if he was fired before his last off season. Thanks to AQ, this fanbase will suffer for many more years to come.
We'd still have Jack Adams trophy winner Travis Green as head coach if Jim Benning was still GM.

/end of thread

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

The benning truthers?

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad