Confirmed with Link: Ducks bring defenseman Francois Beauchemin back for third stint

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I like the signing, who knows how much left is there?

But he mitigates the beginning of the season if Hampus/Vatanen are out. When they come back, he gets regulated to 6th/7th/8th defenseman that creates competition for play time, can sit if need be on back to backs, and hopefully be a good influence on a relatively young blueline whether he's playing or not.

I think he wants a chance to wash off the stink that was his tenure at the Avs. Now if Boston wants to waive Beleskey, we can get out 2015 gang back together.

Boston would gladly waive Bells. But nobody want's his contract based on his tenure in Bean Town. And that should include us.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Beauch is easily one of the best Ducks of all time, but anything more than 18 minutes per night will likely result in disaster. I hope Carlyle is aware of this and not hanging onto the image of 25 minute Beauch from 4-10 years ago

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I like the signing, who knows how much left is there?

But he mitigates the beginning of the season if Hampus/Vatanen are out. When they come back, he gets regulated to 6th/7th/8th defenseman that creates competition for play time, can sit if need be on back to backs, and hopefully be a good influence on a relatively young blueline whether he's playing or not.

I think he wants a chance to wash off the stink that was his tenure at the Avs. Now if Boston wants to waive Beleskey and doesn't mind retaining on part of that god-awful contract they gave him, we can get out 2015 gang back together.

fixed that for you. I'd love to have Bels back but not at that price

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
fixed that for you. I'd love to have Bels back but not at that price

I loved Bels while he was here. I know the comment was hypothetical, but how good is he anymore? Is he anything more than a 4th liner now? I'd say it's questionable if he can put up the points to be a good 3rd liner these days. He's in the PPG range of Shaw and Wagner this year. It's sad to see, because I used to love the way that guy played.

It looks like BM clearly made the right call on that one.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Offensive? Beauchemins game has always been much stronger on the defensive side. I highly doubt (and hope) at this point in his career he will be put out in offensive situations and on PPs.

He's not good in his own zone anymore and scores at a 2nd pairing rate. I consider offense to be his best aspect at this point.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I loved Bels while he was here. I know the comment was hypothetical, but how good is he anymore? Is he anything more than a 4th liner now? I'd say it's questionable if he can put up the points to be a good 3rd liner these days. He's in the PPG range of Shaw and Wagner this year. It's sad to see, because I used to love the way that guy played.

It looks like BM clearly made the right call on that one.

Pretty much we all had a feeling that Boston might regret that signing at some point

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's not good in his own zone anymore and scores at a 2nd pairing rate. I consider offense to be his best aspect at this point.

He put up 18 points in 81 games averaging over 21 mins per night including second unit PP time. Those aren't second pairing offensive numbers.

He's been bought in to provide depth in a third pairing role, mentor some of the young kids and to play on the PK. He's not been bought in to be in an offensive role.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He put up 18 points in 81 games averaging over 21 mins per night including second unit PP time. Those aren't second pairing offensive numbers.

He's been bought in to provide depth in a third pairing role, mentor some of the young kids and to play on the PK. He's not been bought in to be in an offensive role.

He tied for 90th for defenseman scoring. Only 53 defensemen had 30 or more points. Scoring is down pretty dramatically. 50 points gets you into top 90 for forwards, 32 into the top 180.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm not surprised by the move, but I am surprised by the timing. Beauchemin's comments suggest Murray contacted him recently and this all came together quickly. I wonder what the hesitation was or if something has happened to change Murray's mind? As for the move itself: I'm kind of surprised we couldn't get him for 1 million, but 1 million + bonuses isn't that bad so I'm fine with it.

Like others, my biggest worry is RC will Bieksa him, which basically means he'll use him too often or in roles he shouldn't be in

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He tied for 90th for defenseman scoring. Only 53 defensemen had 30 or more points. Scoring is down pretty dramatically. 50 points gets you into top 90 for forwards, 32 into the top 180.

On a per game basis for all Dmen that played at least 40 games he's sitting at 115th, right at the bottom end of a number 4. So maybe you could say last season he produced at a below average rate for a second pair guy. When you factor in ice time he's pretty clearly not producing as a second pair guy anymore.

Anyway my point is that he wasn't signed to play as an offensive number 6. Do you disagree with that?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
On a per game basis for all Dmen that played at least 40 games he's sitting at 115th, right at the bottom end of a number 4. So maybe you could say last season he produced at a below average rate for a second pair guy. When you factor in ice time he's pretty clearly not producing as a second pair guy anymore.

Anyway my point is that he wasn't signed to play as an offensive number 6. Do you disagree with that?

Nope, I think he was signed for toughness and leadership. I was just pointing out that he actually was producing like a second pair defenseman because of what they've done to the league. I think it's not unreasonable to expect his points could go up a bit playing on a significantly less horrible team though. I didn't watch him last year, but he always did have a heavy point shot prior to that, so he may well still get some PP time.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Assuming Vatanen/Lindholm are out opening day, the pairings will likely be:

Fowler-Manson
Beauch-Montour
Megna/Larsson-Bieksa

So in other words this was a very good signing by Murray. You don't want to go into a season with Larsson and Megna both in the lineup in case Lindholm/Vats are both out

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Like others, my biggest worry is RC will Bieksa him, which basically means he'll use him too often or in roles he shouldn't be in

My thoughts as well. I love that Beauch gets to come back and retire with the Ducks, but I've still been fairly critical of the move primarily because I don't trust RC to use him properly. Everything I've seen to date from him leads me to believe he values experience and veteran-ness over on ice contributions. I just know the 1st time one of the kids screws up they're going to get stapled to the bench while Bieksa and Beauch get their ice time upped all the while making the same (or worse) mistakes

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
My thoughts as well. I love that Beauch gets to come back and retire with the Ducks, but I've still been fairly critical of the move primarily because I don't trust RC to use him properly. Everything I've seen to date from him leads me to believe he values experience and veteran-ness over on ice contributions. I just know the 1st time one of the kids screws up they're going to get stapled to the bench while Bieksa and Beauch get their ice time upped all the while making the same (or worse) mistakes

That's always been RCs way though and it's by far his biggest fault. He has his go to guys and he sticks with them and plays them into the ground no matter what. I just hope it's not the case with Frankie and he acknowledges that he's 37 and has seriously declined since last playing here.

I still remember game 6 year where our first PP unit was failing over and over again. We were near the end of a PP and instead of Carlyle going to the fresher second unit he throws out a fatigued 1st unit again only to see them give up a SHG because nobody could be bothered to defend which cost us the series.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
That was a nice read. Thanks for posting the link. I've always liked FB, and it's good to see him so happy to be back and get to finish his career on better terms.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
nice read. Confirms the timeline though. Not surprised we brought Beauchemin back. Just surprised that we decided to do it in late August.

That was a nice read. Thanks for posting the link. I've always liked FB, and it's good to see him so happy to be back and get to finish his career on better terms.

It was a good read. The crazy thing is he said "For us, it was really hard to leave Anaheim two years ago because being here is what I've always wanted for my family." I believe him, yet can't help wondering why he wasn't able to get a contract done with the Ducks (twice). Particularly the last time, when the issue was an extra year. FB and BM - two stubborn guys.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It was a good read. The crazy thing is he said "For us, it was really hard to leave Anaheim two years ago because being here is what I've always wanted for my family." I believe him, yet can't help wondering why he wasn't able to get a contract done with the Ducks (twice). Particularly the last time, when the issue was an extra year. FB and BM - two stubborn guys.

The first time, IMO, was because Murray thought some of our other players were better/more ready than they actually were.

The 2nd time was clearly the 3rd year. Murray didn't want to do 3 years at that salary, which obviously was the right move. I don't fault Murray on this one. I just fault him for bringing in a worse player, who's the same age, for the same term and nearly identical $.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The first time, IMO, was because Murray thought some of our other players were better/more read than they actually were.

The 2nd time was clearly the 3rd year. Murray didn't want to do 3 years at that salary, which obviously was the right move. I don't fault Murray on this one. I just fault him for bringing in a worse player, who's the same age, for the same term and nearly identical $.

Yeah it was the right move until he went out and gave Bieksa a very similar deal.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
So Beauchemin got that 3rd year Murray would give him after all... lol.

Just wish we kept him all along. This just pours more salt in the Bieksa signing. But I always loved Francois so it is nice to see him back in a Ducks jersey. Unfortunately, I can see Carlyle playing a Bieksa-Beauchemin line and have to watch Milan Lucic and Pat Maroon blow by them on the rush...lol.

John

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
So Beauchemin got that 3rd year Murray would give him after all... lol.

Just wish we kept him all along. This just pours more salt in the Bieksa signing. But I always loved Francois so it is nice to see him back in a Ducks jersey. Unfortunately, I can see Carlyle playing a Bieksa-Beauchemin line and have to watch Milan Lucic and Pat Maroon blow by them on the rush...lol.

John

I think the right answer would be that he shouldn't have given either Bieksa or Beauchemin 3 years at their asks.

I have hated that Bieksa signing from day 1, but signing Beauchemin doesn't make it any worse IMO.

I am glad he's back too though. Especially at that price.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Maroon couldn't blow past a traffic cone on the rush, and the traffic cone would probably be faster then him when he gets demoted to the bottom 6 and sulks about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad