Confirmed with Link: Ducks bring defenseman Francois Beauchemin back for third stint

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
I don't mind the signing for the $. Just think it's funny we wanted to clear a path for young guys, but sign a 37 yo that's is on a steady decline. This makes me wonder if Larsson won't be ready to start the season. Conventional wisdom had him and Megna on Ducks to start the season. If he remains out, then I definitely understand.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
funny that beauch and bieksa are now on the same team

and i agree that perry shouldn't have an A. give it to cogs or beauch

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't mind the signing for the $. Just think it's funny we wanted to clear a path for young guys, but sign a 37 yo that's is on a steady decline. This makes me wonder if Larsson won't be ready to start the season. Conventional wisdom had him and Megna on Ducks to start the season. If he remains out, then I definitely understand.

Didn't Larsson have knee surgery in the spring?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Seems like a good signing for depth and to cover for some injuries to start the season. I have no faith in Megna to play regularly so this helps us in case Lindholm and/or Larsson misses the start of the season.

As for the second A I think Fowler is the logical choice to get that.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Getting back to his team of medical/training people, having a mentoring role, and left handed depth.

I think he'll have a nice bounce back, IF/IF/IF used as depth.

Glad he's back

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks that Beauch will not do well in a 6/7/8th defenseman role? He's a proud veteran - not sure he'll be able to deal with being a healthy scratch or with reduced minutes.

Great idea to build a defensive corp around Bieksa and Beauch - 8 years ago. Now it is just scary to have those two in your top 6.

I don't see this going well on or off the ice

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Am I the only one who thinks that Beauch will not do well in a 6/7/8th defenseman role? He's a proud veteran - not sure he'll be able to deal with being a healthy scratch or with reduced minutes.

Great idea to build a defensive corp around Bieksa and Beauch - 8 years ago. Now it is just scary to have those two in your top 6.

Not sure anyone here knows him well enough to really answer that - but If he's signing for that cheap to play for a team known for having one of the best bluelines in the league, I'd have to think he's aware of the situation.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I second what heusy said. He's going from a very bad team, and a questionable blue line, to one of the best blue lines in the game, on one of the top teams. When you consider that, and the contract he signed, I think that points to the expectations surrounding him, which is to say they aren't that high.

As for the proud veteran part, that's all speculation. Selanne might have had an issue with that, but that isn't true of every veteran. Some of them are able to put ego aside and put the team first. Is Beauchemin one of those guys? No idea. My personal feelings are that there is no evidence to suggest he'll have an issue with it, and without that evidence I don't see it as a problem. This may very well be the last season of his career. I think that, maybe, he just wants to finish off on a better note than last season and Anaheim is an opportunity. That opportunity likely only exists with him in a lesser role.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He did say he was prepared to retire and I would think his role would be discussed when they signed him. He knew we'd be bringing back the entire defense that played in our last game, I think its safe to say he's well aware of what he's getting into.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think he realizes it is until Hampus gets back, then it will be as a 6th/7th D-man.

He does add some stability and physical play that is good, but I think he realizes he was brought back for leadership as much as play on the ice.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Good to see him back, he'll be a great depth defenceman and add some good veteran experience on the backend which will be desperately needed until we're back at full health.

I don't see Beauch getting an A though nor do I think it's a good idea, he's going to be rotating in and out of the lineup on a regular basis when everyone is healthy and he can still provide leadership and a locker room presence without an A. I'd rather see it go to someone like Fowler who's going to be playing night in, night out and who's going to be here for the next 7+ years.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Depth chart is something like:

Fowler
Lindholm
Vatanen
Manson
Montour
Bieksa
Beauchemin
Holzer
Larsson
Megna

That is pretty good. This might actually be the best defense we have had since 2009, if youngsters keep progressing. We have a little bit of everything in there.

Also, we have had logjams before on defense and eventually plays out ok with all the injuries etc. Even if we keep Larsson in the AHL, that is not bad, we kept Montour there for quite a while and look how he ended up last year. I will assume Montour gets a spot on opening night :)

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I have no clue about the purpose behind this signing. The only reason may be some security at the start of the season. But so for we have Bieksa/Holzer/Beauchemin/Megna/Oleksy/Welinsky/Larsson for a #6 or #7 role. My top 4 are set with Fowler - Manson and Lindholm - Montour.

Maybe Beauch will transfer into the coaching staff like others did before?

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Keep his minutes low and he's awesome in the room. Love it, glad he's back.

Exactly this. I'm hoping he plays well in a limited role and pushes Bieksa out of the lineup when everyone is healthy (if that ever happens).

I just hope we don't see a Beauch - Bieksa 3rd pair on a regular basis. If we need to bench one of the kids to send a message, or they're actually playing worse than those 2, that's fine; if we're just playing the vets to play the vets, that would be a different story.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Fine as an offensive #6, nothing more than that.

Offensive? Beauchemins game has always been much stronger on the defensive side. I highly doubt (and hope) at this point in his career he will be put out in offensive situations and on PPs.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I like the signing, who knows how much left is there?

But he mitigates the beginning of the season if Hampus/Vatanen are out. When they come back, he gets regulated to 6th/7th/8th defenseman that creates competition for play time, can sit if need be on back to backs, and hopefully be a good influence on a relatively young blueline whether he's playing or not.

I think he wants a chance to wash off the stink that was his tenure at the Avs. Now if Boston wants to waive Beleskey, we can get out 2015 gang back together.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
This is a feel good signing, glad he'll likely retire as a Duck now. Though it is kind of comical to end up with both Bieksa and Beauchemin in the end, I like that we have those two to contrast the kids, Randy has a little of everything to work with now. Stronger locker room now as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad