GDT: Ducks @ Avs | 7pm MT 6pm LBT | The Return of LBNMN!!!!!! and Makar I guess

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
He was an avid basketball player in his youth, that's about all I know. He had an amusing anecdote about playing a game when he was a kid in Cornish, New Hampshire, something happened, can't remember what, and the late J.D. Salinger, who was an avid fan of the local team, got up and yelled in his face.
Yeah, I know he's huge and a big basketball fan, but my OP was somewhat of a rhetorical question... but it's no doubt as to why he didn't make it very far.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
After thinking about it more, that loss is more on Bednar. Not fully, since the players still have to actually play.

But you have a 3-2 lead against a team clearly bringing the pressure, and Kurtis MacDermid was one of two defensemen on the ice for the 2nd Ducks goal where they obliterated the Avs all shift and with 10 minutes left you still decide to throw him out there for his regular shift?

That's bad coaching. Plain and simple, Bednar cannot do things like that. He has no issues sitting his 4th line for the final 40 minutes of a game but he won't staple a clearly struggling MacDermid to the bench?

That's what happens.

I know Frankie let in two brutal goals, but goal 3 for the Ducks doesn't happen if MacDermid isn't on the ice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
After thinking about it more, that loss is more on Bednar. Not fully, since the players still have to actually play.

But you have a 3-2 lead against a team clearly bringing the pressure, and Kurtis MacDermid was one of two defensemen on the ice for the 2nd Ducks goal where they obliterated the Avs all shift and with 10 minutes left you still decide to throw him out there for his regular shift?

That's bad coaching. Plain and simple, Bednar cannot do things like that. He has no issues sitting his 4th line for the final 40 minutes of a game but he won't staple a clearly struggling MacDermid to the bench?

That's what happens.

I know Frankie let in two brutal goals, but goal 3 for the Ducks doesn't happen if MacDermid isn't on the ice.

Yep. I usually break out the shield the very moment Bednar gets slagged around here but that was an inexcusably bad performance from him behind the bench. Home ice advantage against the 2nd-worst team in the National Hockey League, 7 defensemen to choose from, and you CAN'T properly shelter your worst player? Positively engraging.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
The Ducks broadcast brought to attention that MacK only played around 3 minutes of the first 15mins in the 3rd and speculated about an injury.

Any news, or anything said about this?

Also, I just have to say that the Ducks PbP is quite good, but holy their other commentator has not changed in 10 years. Still an absolute nightmare to listen to. The Ducks barely do anything wrong and the opposition is always at fault for everything that happens on the ice.

E.g. When McTavish and Lehkonen had a good scrap around the Avs net he was complaining like crazy that Lehkonen was interfereing and wrapping his arms around McTavish when in fact it was very 50-50 and initiated by McT.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Ducks broadcast brought to attention that MacK only played around 3 minutes of the first 15mins in the 3rd and speculated about an injury.

Any news, or anything said about this?
No actual news, no, but there's no way he's healthy, not even close. I hope he opts out of the ASG, Makar too.

That hit he took in the WSH game clearly affected him and very likely re-aggravated whatever had him miss time previously. Since that hit he just isn't moving around or engaging physically like he usually does.

I'm guessing the only guy on the active roster even more banged up than MacKinnon is Cogliano. Cogs looks like he's practically limping out there.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

That's what happens.

Yup. Playing Macdermid is a choice. Playing Macdermid on D is a choice. Playing Macdermid on D while trying to protect a lead with a surging opponent is a choice.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Dater coming at Cogs.

Dater can f*** off with that. The 3rd period was an embarrassment, Frankie let in some BAD goals, and the team just sucked. So yes, Cogs is right, the loss was embarrassing. You cannot be where the Avs are and be dropping games like these--where they hold 2 goal leads--to bottom feeders.

Dater is the master of self loathing for pity... I trust his opinion. :sarcasm:

Right? WTF Dater...the man's desperation for clicks at this point is palpable. I wish he would just go away and go work on himself for a while.

Wow. Dater really fell from the tree on this one and hit a lot of branches on his way down. It's one thing to add perspective but Dater went full on criticism. He called out ROR as a throw in.

Dater is one pathetic sad mf.

Dater's just mad that he missed the scoop because he was trapped in an elevator that required him to have his phone on airplane mode.

What an incredibly weird take

Dater is the last guy that should be putting out judgement on someones actions or how they carry themselves. What a freakin tool!

Going after arguably the most honest and respected guy in the room is certainly a choice. Just a bizarre tweet to send.

Any time something from Dater gets posted here, I get further confirmation that I made the correct choice in unfollowing him from social media a while back. Not a single thing of value was lost.
Holy hell, at this point we should petition the mods to block out Dater's name like the used to do with Eklund.

Seriously though. As a favor, could y'all quit posting his shit here for a month or two. I unfollowed him years ago and apparently, I still need to take a break from the guy. :laugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Holy hell, at this point we should petition the mods to block out Dater's name like the used to do with Eklund.

Seriously though. As a favor, could y'all quit posting his shit here for a month or two. I unfollowed him years ago and apparently, I still need to take a break from the guy. :laugh:
He blocked me because I didnt sub to his site or blog or whatever he was trying to sell. Classy.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
We just need to scratch out a win against the Blooz, limp into the All Star break and heal up.

To me, the Duck game gets placed at the skates of Francouz. All he has to do is outplay MacDermid and Bonny Prince Englund. Nope - he was worse than those two. Dude let in two 2 brutal goals. Bednar didn't coach himself to glory but . . . the lack of D depth caught up to us. Combine that with Frankie making like Stevie Wonder (or a one-eyed Kemper) in the crease . . . ugh.

BUT. If Bednar is going to continue to give ice time to athletes to just swim in their own zone, then he needs to offer FA contracts to Michael Phelps and Missy Franklin. At least they can survive a 2 minute HIIT shift.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Agreed. A hockey fan friend of mine messaged me to tell me to quit following/liking stuff from him a few years ago because it kept showing up in his feed.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We just need to scratch out a win against the Blooz, limp into the All Star break and heal up.

To me, the Duck game gets placed at the skates of Francouz. All he has to do is outplay MacDermid and Bonny Prince Englund. Nope - he was worse than those two. Dude let in two 2 brutal goals. Bednar didn't coach himself to glory but . . . the lack of D depth caught up to us. Combine that with Frankie making like Stevie Wonder (or a one-eyed Kemper) in the crease . . . ugh.

BUT. If Bednar is going to continue to give ice time to athletes to just swim in their own zone, then he needs to offer FA contracts to Michael Phelps and Missy Franklin. At least they can survive a 2 minute HIIT shift.
If Andreas Englund is on the ice instead of Kurtis MacDermid the Ducks don't score goal #3.

I don't know what it is with Bednar but for some reason he trusts a guy who would struggle in the AHL over a legit #7 D in Englund.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just trade MacDermid. He's even overpaid at $987.5k compared to what Englund or Hunt would make to play better.

We could get a 4th for him from some tanking team that wants to protect its youth in the next year or two.
I don't even care about getting something back for him. Getting 987K of cap space would be very valuable for us.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

amigo

Mar 20, 2021
McDermid on their second goal
pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just trade MacDermid. He's even overpaid at $987.5k compared to what Englund or Hunt would make to play better.

We could get a 4th for him from some tanking team that wants to protect its youth in the next year or two.

Something for the Avalanche and Bednar to learn here: If you're gonna get a goon, you have to let him goon. You have to accept the fact that you brought on a player that supposedly intimidates the opposition, that's what he's there for. You have to let him ply his craft. You have to let him get into fights, even if he instigates them. You have to let him clobber some guys along the boards. And with all that, you HAVE to be okay with him taking the occasional stupid penalty.

And that's the problem. Avs are so f***ing scared of taking penalties because their PK still sucks and it's way too draining on their top defensemen that they've instructed their guys, especially MacDermid, to play more cautious. You can't tell a lumbering behemoth like that to tiptoe around guys and get him to actually contribute defensively.

MacDermid last night looked completely out of sorts in a way he never did in Los Angeles. He still sucked for the Kings but he regularly took runs at guys, pulling himself out of position to do so. And really, why the hell else would you have him out there for?

Avs aren't built to handle a goon right now. Last year they were so dominant they could afford to let him loose. This year though they're playing him way too much and placing him in situational hockey that he's not REMOTELY suited for. Huge, huge failing by the coaching staff, and that's entirely on Bednar, who was no stranger to "heavy hockey" when he played and should know better.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Something for the Avalanche and Bednar to learn here: If you're gonna get a goon, you have to let him goon. You have to accept the fact that you brought on a player that supposedly intimidates the opposition, that's what he's there for. You have to let him ply his craft. You have to let him get into fights, even if he instigates them. You have to let him clobber some guys along the boards. And with all that, you HAVE to be okay with him taking the occasional stupid penalty.

And that's the problem. Avs are so f***ing scared of taking penalties because their PK still sucks and it's way too draining on their top defensemen that they've instructed their guys, especially MacDermid, to play more cautious. You can't tell a lumbering behemoth like that to tiptoe around guys and get him to actually contribute defensively.

MacDermid last night looked completely out of sorts in a way he never did in Los Angeles. He still sucked for the Kings but he regularly took runs at guys, pulling himself out of position to do so. And really, why the hell else would you have him out there for?

Avs aren't built to handle a goon right now. Last year they were so dominant they could afford to let him loose. This year though they're playing him way too much and placing him in situational hockey that he's not REMOTELY suited for. Huge, huge failing by the coaching staff, and that's entirely on Bednar, who was no stranger to "heavy hockey" when he played and should know better.
Exactly. MacDermid is on a leash and it's not working. Therefore: unleash MacDermid.

As for him "giving up goals" (this is not in response to you specifically @Pokecheque ) there are 4 other skaters and a goalie on the ice. Plenty of responsibility to go around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad