GDT: Ducks at Sharks 03/20/2014, 7:30pm.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
DUCKS (45-17-7) at SHARKS (45-18-7)

TV: PRIME, CSN-CA

Last 10: Anaheim 5-3-2; San Jose 7-2-1

Season series: This is the fourth of five games between the Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks. The home team has won each of the first three, and the Sharks have won four straight against the Ducks at SAP Center.

Big story: When the NHL season reconvened after the Sochi Olympics, it looked as though Anaheim would skate comfortably to the Pacific Division title - and maybe the Western Conference crown and the Presidents' Trophy as well. But three weeks later, the Ducks have lost five of seven and allowed San Jose to pull even in the standings with 97 points, though Anaheim has played one fewer game.

Each team comes into this game after being beaten 3-2 in its own building Tuesday. The Sharks had a six-game winning streak snapped with a rare home loss, to the Florida Panthers, while the Washington Capitals edged the Ducks at Honda Center.

Team Scope:

Ducks: Though Anaheim has scored two power-play goals in its past 15 games and surrendered two in the 3-2 loss to the Capitals, the focus of practice on Wednesday was getting back to basics rather than special teams.

"We didn't talk about it. We took a day off today," captain Ryan Getzlaf said after practice before the team left for San Jose. "You can beat that thing to death and look at video all you want, but the fact is last night we did a lot of good things on the power play. We took a lot of shots and that's what we were looking to do last night."

With first place on the line, the Ducks are expecting a physical battle that should be a good warm-up for the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"This is playoff hockey for sure," Getzlaf said. "We're going into a hostile building fighting for first place. We just have to make sure we go in with controlled emotion going into the first period, and then we'll go from there."

Sharks: The Ducks aren't the only team that's having trouble scoring on the power play. San Jose has converted a League-worst 6.2 percent of its power-play chances (4 for 65) in its past 20 games.

''It's not good enough, simple as that,'' forward Logan Couture said. ''It's on us, the players who go out there and play the big power-play minutes, myself included. It needs to be better. It needs to help win us games.''

San Jose was 1-for-6 with the extra man against Florida and had 16 power-play shots. But the Sharks lost 3-2 despite outshooting the Panthers 54-24 and having 99 shot attempts to 40 for the visitors.

Those numbers did nothing to mollify coach Todd McLellan's unhappiness afterward.

''We've talked about this lesson a lot of times this year already with teams that are maybe not in the playoffs and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot,'' McLellan said. ''Until we fix that, we'll probably end up with the same results.''

Who's hot: Ducks rookie defenseman Hampus Lindholm has four assists in his past three games. … Sharks goalie Antti Niemi had won five straight - including two shutouts - with a 1.60 goals-against average before taking the loss Tuesday.

Injury report: Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler (sprained left MCL) will miss three to five weeks with an injury sustained against the Colorado Avalanche on Friday. Forward Nick Bonino (lower body) is day-to-day after blocking a shot with his foot late in the game Tuesday. … Sharks forward Raffi Torres (knee) and defenseman Brad Stuart (upper body) are day-to-day.

From daily face off:

:sharks

Pavelski - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Wingels - Sheppard - Havlat
Kennedy - Desjardins - Burish

Vlasic - Demers
Hannan - Boyle
Irwin - Braun

Antti Niemi

:ducks

Selanne - Getzlaf - Perry
Maroon - Perrault - Silfverberg
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Jackman - Palmieri - Fistric

Beauchemin - Sbisa
Lovejoy - Lindholm
Allen - Robidas

Jonas Hiller​

Last edited by a moderator:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Is this the GDT?

Go Sharks!

My Havlat SNOG is no points. He already has his point a week on Tuesday.

My front line for Ducks:

LW: Beretta Urika C: Browning Citori O/U RW: Remington 1100

Ducks are food, not friends. Blow them away, Sharks. Ducks are good eats!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Is this the GDT?

Go Sharks!

My Havlat SNOG is no points. He already has his point a week on Tuesday.

My front line for Ducks:

LW: Beretta Urika C: Browning Citori O/U RW: Remington 1100

if someone has a better one and wants to delete this one, they can go ahead. but since i didn't see one at the time i decided to make this one.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Ah simplified GDT, just like Sharks play as of late.

Yeah NO Special GDT's I say until Sharks can prove they deserve one!

SNOG

Sharks 3 (Cooter, Nieto and Pavs off Schnide)
Ducks 2 (Perry and Get-s-a-laugh)

And of course listening to Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb from the Ducks broadcast will make me pull my hair out!

Hoping the synch of the internet radio matches pretty closely tonight from Dan R. and Co.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
Thanks Barrie!
From daily face off:

:sharks

Pavelski - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Wingels - Sheppard - Havlat
Kennedy - Desjardins - Burish

Vlasic - Demers
Hannan - Boyle
Irwin - Braun

Antti Niemi

:ducks

Selanne - Getzlaf - Perry
"Whuda" Maroon - Perreault - Silfverberg
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Palmieri - Rakell - Etem

Beauchemin - Sbisa
Lovejoy - Lindholm
Allen - Robidas

Frederik Anderson​

Last edited:

sharksohnoes!

whatisdeadmayneverdie
Mar 9, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
My buddy offered me tickets to this game through his dad's company. Three rows from the glass. Awesome.

This is the biggest game of the year, our top guys better show up.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There defense puts little fear into me come playoff time. Guess you could say the same thing about ours, but, definitely no Pronger's and Niedermayer's over there.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Coming with a white flag, here.

This is going to be a real solid game. Both teams are tied for 1st in the division, as well as tied in overall standings. Both teams have a lot to gain from this win and could project both onto either further losing streaks or a real solid win streak.

Selanne on the 1st line as LW still hasn't sold me, but I guess we will find out how well it works tonight against a team they need to beat.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My buddy offered me tickets to this game through his dad's company. Three rows from the glass. Awesome.

Its not even a playoff game. I know its a big game because of home ice and what not but lets not get carried away.

Also, that is awesome about the nice seats. Enjoy the game.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest

Wear this color shirt so we can find you on TV of course!

348749_Neon%20Green.jpg

RammsteinGT

Prairie Shark
Sep 24, 2008
YQL/YXE
Lost the last one, so no need for the coaches to throw out the same lineup as last game. Maybe they unleash the secret weapon, Torres?

If so:

8-19-88
12-39-83
57-15-9
13-10-81

Scratch 37 & 18 - although 18 might swap in for 81 to have a scrapper in case things get (likely) heated.

Also, I bet if Stuart was ready to go (or we had the cap space), we'd see a Tennyson demotion. So I doubt he comes back soon.

In any case - a rare SNOG:

4-2 good guys.

Jumbo, Pavs, Shep & Irwin (ENG - as he's inexplicably out defending a last-minute lead)
Getz & Bonino (EDIT: Etem, because of injury)

Last edited:

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
Its not even a playoff game. I know its a big game because of home ice and what not but lets not get carried away.

Also, that is awesome about the nice seats. Enjoy the game.

It is the biggest game of the season. And every subsequent game going forward is going to be the most important game yet as long as we're neck and neck with the Ducks.

And it's not just home ice, it's avoiding the Kings.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Lost the last one, so no need for the coaches to throw out the same lineup as last game. Maybe they unleash the secret weapon, Torres?

If so:

8-19-88
12-39-83
57-15-9
13-10-81

Scratch 37 & 18 - although 18 might swap in for 81 to have a scrapper in case things get (likely) heated.

Also, I bet if Stuart was ready to go (or we had the cap space), we'd see a Tennyson demotion. So I doubt he comes back soon.

In any case - a rare SNOG:

4-2 good guys.

Jumbo, Pavs, Shep & Irwin (ENG - as he's inexplicably out defending a last-minute lead)
Getz & Bonino

So why would you swap Brown for Kennedy in a choppy game? If that were the case Havlat would be scratched.

fRESH88

Sep 26, 2011
taking my GF for her first ever sharks game tonight. Im excited for her but anxious as hell to get to the tank already and see the boys do there thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad