GDT: Ducks at Phoenix (Which is in Arizona) | Drunk Pompous Turd Edition | 5pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
What if Heatley scored? Well what if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :sarcasm:

Whatever. I don't care anymore.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Is this a game thread or a Heatley hate thread?

Both, we multitask. Oh and we talk about Three's Company too. :nod:

We got a point when we played not so great. Of course that ********* Doan scored the game winner. The league will be better when he is finally gone.

getzforfighting*

heatley sucks and is terrible, but what the heck is wrong with giving a former 50 goal scorer a chance to break out of a slump when you are first in the nhl.

I get the fact that all points matter, but this was a chance for BB to instill a bit of confidence in a guy they hoped would play with G&P.

Just my 2 Chainz

Oct 18, 2011
heatley sucks and is terrible, but what the heck is wrong with giving a former 50 goal scorer a chance to break out of a slump when you are first in the nhl.

I get the fact that all points matter, but this was a chance for BB to instill a bit of confidence in a guy they hoped would play with G&P.

Just my 2 Chainz
he hasn't been a 50 goal guy in years and is stealing a roster spot and is a waste of 1 million dollars

he was protected all game with zone starts, and still had a negative corsi, you can't put him and bourque in the lineup at the same time, especially since cogs and thompson produce virtually no offense

neither is better than etem for instance, who is one of the better advanced stats players on the team

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
he hasn't been a 50 goal guy in years and is stealing a roster spot and is a waste of 1 million dollars

he was protected all game with zone starts, and still had a negative corsi, you can't put him and bourque in the lineup at the same time, especially since cogs and thompson produce virtually no offense

neither is better than etem for instance, who is one of the better advanced stats players on the team

And yet one of the worst actual players on the ice. Draw your own conclusions.

Oct 18, 2011
And yet one of the worst actual players on the ice. Draw your own conclusions.
So defending less than most other players on the team makes him one of the worst??
DSP in reality, is one of the worst players on the team, but that seems to be flying under the radar here.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So defending less than most other players on the team makes him one of the worst??
DSP in reality, is one of the worst players on the team, but that seems to be flying under the radar here.

No argument. I've been saying that he's even worse than Bourque the entire time he's been on the top line. And defending less but ending offensive control and actual possession with ineptitude doesn't make you good. Etem is hardly the driving force on his line. He's no more one of the top offensive players than Beauchemin is one of the worst defensive players.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
DSP doesn't mesh too well with Getz, who always seems to prefer the other wing target. He's far from the worst player on the team, though. There are a lot of players underproducing relative to their role on the team, and he's one, but he's not stinking up the joint.

Heatley's really the only truly terrible player on the team.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Here's something for the advanced stats trolls to think about. The Ducks get **** on in the fake nerd community because of their great one-goal game record, because those are supposedly a statistical crapshoot.

Last night, we saw an example of a one-goal game actually being decided by a fluke, or luck if you prefer. How often have you seen something like that decide a game? It's very rare, in reality, to see an event with zero connection to strategy or even skill actually put one team past another. What you usually see deciding close games are what's often called "bounces," typically a deflection of some sort - a deflection of a puck to an otherwise covered attacking player, or a deflection of a shot past the goaltender. Or sometimes it'll be a mistake on the defender's part. That's "luck" in the sense that it's not something that can be repeated exactly or performed at will, but it's not luck in the sense of a fluke. Both teams are trying for those bounces, and better teams get those bounces more often, as a matter of veterancy and experience, split-second body adjustments and preparedness to instantly respond to just that kind of event. Mistakes are forced by playing beyond and opponent's skill level or comfort zone. A team's system can maximize the positive impact of the bounces, and a team that follows its system and is skilled enough to execute on the instant will see more success than otherwise.

That's not luck, it's hockey, and good teams win close games. That's why our one-goal game record should be taken as evidence of how good and dangerous the Ducks really are - precisely because of how far they deviate from the statistical prediction in those situations. Unless you think we're plus 15 or whatever in Doan goals, and then I can't help you. You already have a fundamental misunderstanding of how hockey works, I can't help you learn to count fluke goals as well.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
To be fair, their argument from afar (which makes sense from afar) is that if a team was that much better at consistently getting bounces, then that should also reflect in other goals. Meaning fewer one-goal wins and more two+ goal wins.

But your point does still refutes the "all shot % must be the same" argument.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
To be fair, their argument from afar (which makes sense from afar) is that if a team was that much better at consistently getting bounces, then that should also reflect in other goals. Meaning fewer one-goal wins and more two+ goal wins.

But your point does still refutes the "all shot % must be the same" argument.
That argument from afar presumes that teams behave the same in both close and "not-close" situations, which isn't any more true than the "all shots are equal" argument.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
Linesmen have been out of control this year. Offsides, faceoffs. Breaking up fights.

I normally don't pay attention to them but it's actually starting to annoy me.

The breaking up fights thing is definitely coming from the top down. The league is trying to slowly phase out fighting with not so subtle things like this. Hate to say it, but it's working. That being said, I agree with you that they (linesmen) have been abysmal this year. It is a definite problem.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
DSP doesn't mesh too well with Getz, who always seems to prefer the other wing target. He's far from the worst player on the team, though. There are a lot of players underproducing relative to their role on the team, and he's one, but he's not stinking up the joint.

Heatley's really the only truly terrible player on the team.

He's far from good though. He's not cycling well, he's not going to the proper places on the ice, and he's not producing. He's not a bad player, and he's been mostly good defensively, he just clearly can't produce on that line unless there are two other players doing the heavy lifting.

perrygetzanother

Jun 14, 2014
somewhere nice
He's far from good though. He's not cycling well, he's not going to the proper places on the ice, and he's not producing. He's not a bad player, and he's been mostly good defensively, he just clearly can't produce on that line unless there are two other players doing the heavy lifting.

why do you say this? corsi? advanced stats? solar wind the illuminati? other forms of black magic and wizardry?

oops sorry, wrong poster. i mean seriously, keerole didnt even bring up stats with dsp. this forum leaves so many red marks on my forehead, oddly enough each one shaped just like my palm. god forbid somebody have a point with actual evidence to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad