Friedman: Ducks are now preparing to trade Lindholm after failed talks

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hes willing to talk extension with trade suitors
A parting gift for the Ducks in a way?

I expect the return to make posters of other teams cringe…but I also don’t think “he’s just a rental so we are only paying a rental price” is gonna have much credence in this case. You don’t trade for Lindholm for a couple months, you trade for him a to be a defensive anchor for a long-term deal. #1 defensemen in their primes aren’t often available.

I think this is gonna be the blockbuster of the deadline.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
A parting gift for the Ducks in a way?

I expect the return to make posters of other teams cringe…but I also don’t think “he’s just a rental so we are only paying a rental price” is gonna have much credence in this case. You don’t trade for Lindholm for a couple months, you trade for him a to be a defensive anchor for a long-term deal. #1 defensemen in their primes aren’t often available.

I think this is gonna be the blockbuster of the deadline.
The tricky part is how many of these contenders willing to acquire him have the capspace to re-sign him. Especially if he wants like 8x8 or something like that.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
From an on-ice angle, St. Louis makes the most sense imo. Just don’t know about their cap situation moving forward.

But their defense is horrid at giving up chances…Lindholm is the perfect balm and his age fits nicely with a lot of their key pieces. They also have blue chip assets to bargain with. I know they’ve looked into Chychrun but I think an extended Lindholm is a much better fit with what they need…he’s the defensive rock their blueline is crying for. Lindholm next to Parayko and suddenly their top pair looks stout as hell.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
8x8 is absurd, he should come in somewhere between Pellech and Parayko
I’d definitely rank him ahead of Parayko and I don’t think I’d be alone in that opinion.

His lack of “offensive numbers” may help to hold his contract down below his on-ice value but I’m going to bet he’s looking for a big number. Apples to oranges (and one potential overpay doesn’t justify another) but I think I’d rather spend 8x8 on Lindholm than Hertl.

Reactions: mab894 and Go Wings

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
8x8 is absurd, he should come in somewhere between Pellech and Parayko
I’d say between fowler and rielly …. 7 year 56 million.

Idk that money is super important…. 1 of the posts said he wanted to be somewhere he’s wanted…. So I imagine a team offering 8 years will get him for reasonable dollar amount

Ledge And Dairy

From an on-ice angle, St. Louis makes the most sense imo. Just don’t know about their cap situation moving forward.

But their defense is horrid at giving up chances…Lindholm is the perfect balm and his age fits nicely with a lot of their key pieces. They also have blue chip assets to bargain with. I know they’ve looked into Chychrun but I think an extended Lindholm is a niche better fit with what they need…he’s the defensive rock their blueline is crying for. Lindholm next to Parayko and suddenly their top pair looks stout as hell.
Well we can assume Scandella has to be moved in any trade involving STL adding a top 4 dman, then next year you have Perron coming off the books so it should be quite doable

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’d say between fowler and rielly …. 7 year 56 million.

Idk that money is super important…. 1 of the posts said he wanted to be somewhere he’s wanted…. So I imagine a team offering 8 years will get him for reasonable dollar amount
What happened to deteriorate his relationship with Anaheim to the point where he doesn’t feel “wanted”?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sad day for Ducks fans. Not to invite another Lindholm/Fowler debate but I personally believe Hampus is the best D this organization has ever drafted and developed. The timing is a bit unfortunate because he's one of the very best (if not the best as of now) player on a team that was starting to improve, so now this feels like a massive step back.

Though I understand how it got to this and why paying Lindholm huge money on a long term deal makes more sense for a win now team. The current impact outweighs the long term risk so much more for those teams than the Ducks.

I'm glad Verbeek is doing the right thing and allowing teams to talk extension. Even if he doesn't agree to anything, just having comfort in knowing the parameters may make teams more comfortable to pay a premium price. Hopefully he goes to a team that isn't too difficult to root for in the playoffs.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They offering him 4-5 years…. I imagine it mostly stems off that and not being willing to go 7-8
I don’t mean this to bash the Ducks but that’s an understandable perspective. When you’ve got a one-team soldier like Hertl getting 8 years and a bunch of no movement clauses from a team MUCH further out from competing like San Jose - I can see the unwillingness to extend max years for a guy who feels he has done nothing but be a great team player his entire career for his team as something of a slight.

Doesn’t mean the Ducks should just give it to him, but yeah, I can see how that can come off as a bit of a lowball offer from his side.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00